Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

The lost art of the (KU) alley-oop

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3275 by konza63
As I watched two more botched alley-oop attempts by KU tonight, I found myself thinking...

When was the last time I saw a really pretty, scintillating, and foe-demoralizing alley-oop by KU?

I'm dead serious. Years ago, we made that play look so simple, effortless, and graceful. When you do it well, particularly at home, it can be one of the most crowd-pleasing, frenzy-inducing plays in the sport. It can stem an opponent's momentum and put the swagger behind one's own team.

But this squad can't pull off an alley-oop to save its soul. They have botched literally dozens of them this year. Dozens! It's almost always the passer's fault, with passes that are nowhere near the rim or leading the dunker to same. We wind up with some oddly contorted move where the potential dunker has to come down and catch the ball and fling up an off-kilter layup, or misses the slam because he can't get his hands properly on the ball.

It's baffling. Kids love to perfect their alley-oops in practice and show off with them. But we've forgotten how to do it.

I want Turgeon and Calvin Thompson back!

(Or any of the KU player combos in the intervening 25+ years who knew how to perform this awesome basketball move)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.