Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Fraschilla with the "shill-a" in Manila

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #3269 by konza63
I mentioned on here a few weeks ago that there has been a palpable shift in Fran's objectivity in calling KU games over the years. I first noticed it maybe 2-3 years ago, when his kid was playing for OU. Maybe it all began when he came off the bench in mop-up and some KU player popped him in the nose (inadvertently, as I recall, though he and Musberger made it out to be intentional).

Whether it's that factor or he's simply grown tired of calling so many games in a league that has been utterly dominated by one team (the Gulliver that is KU), it's very clear that the guy is just bursting at the seams in wanting to openly root for us to lose.

Tonight I lost count of how many times he whined and droned on about the refs being in KU's pocket. At one point, he even insinuated that it's one of the primary reasons we've compiled such a winning record at home. He followed that up later, when Musberger was complaining about the overall number of fouls called in the game, by yet again saying that he thought way too many calls had gone against the Kitties. At that very juncture (in the 2nd half), they then flashed the foul totals, and it was 6 KU, 6 KSU! In fact, KU fouled in that moment, which took it to KU 7, KSU 6. And yet Fran stuck with this same narrative over and over and over, throughout the game.

I also hate when he leaves something "unsaid," but very deliberately...as in leading the viewer up to the water's edge and then letting him or her take the final step himself. I think he does this because he doesn't want to completely undercut his ties to Self and KU (whom, as an announcer, he has to interact with), but there was a specific case in point again tonight. He made it right after calling out the alleged foul disparity, then pivoting to defending Weber for ranting and raving about the fouls against the poor little innocent Kitty Cats from Manhattan. Directly on the heels of pointing out the alleged "home cooking" by the refs, he said something to the effect of "There's a reason why they win so many games in this building. It's a combination of luck and, well..." Well, what, Fran? Paying off the refs? Officials openly throwing the games? Why don't you have the cojones to just come out and say what you really think?

I'm sorry, but the dude's act has grown tired. I took some flak last time for calling this out, with people saying they found him okay, but if you didn't pick up on his shilling for KU's opponent tonight, you were not listening.

I used to like him. But he's now on my dartboard. You try to dis and tarnish my team, my school, my coach, my field house, my team's record, my team's accomplishments, and you can buzz off.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by konza63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.