Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Bush League move by Greene

• USAF Jayhawk
  • USAF Jayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3259 by USAF Jayhawk
When the defense backs off to let you dribble out the clock, you don't go in and dunk it...terribly classless move there Brannen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #3261 by DrJHawker
I think the wide up dunk was too tempting. I'm sure coach will let him know that wasn't acceptable.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3263 by mpeterson44
Brannen is most likely in the doghouse again for that one!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #3265 by konza63
I missed that, fortunately. I hope that the KSU players and staff had an obstructed view of it, so there's no BB material there. Probably wishful thinking, however.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 2 months ago #3266 by Sieverling
He addressed it in the postgame interview. Self was very displeased, calling it a... ahem... (Richard) move

Hic manebimus optime

• texkan
  • Ring my Bell, if you can find it! ;)
More
8 years 2 months ago #3268 by texkan
...S2 and i both said at the same time, "uh oh, BG gonna be in trouble" :ohmy: thank you, texkan :P

More
8 years 2 months ago #3271 by mpeterson44
Gonna be interesting to see the reaction when Brannen plays in Bramlage. Do you think the F word comes to mind!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #3273 by LSHawk
It's a long standing pattern. At the Kentucky game, Brannen was the one pursuing camera time during breaks. Tonight, Brannen had to be called in from warm--up; seemingly, he had to take the last shot. It makes you say, of course he was the one to do the dunk at the end...

More
8 years 2 months ago #3279 by AZhawk87
would be for Self to kick him off the team. He's become a true embarrassment to KU. During KY game he once dribbled half the court after a foul call and dunked. The next time the whistle blew and he ran half the court and jumped to slap the backboard. Now he dunks with a second left.

I say kick him off the team. Let him figure out his career path without the benefit of playing college basketball. That may force him to grow up and act like a man rather than an egotistical "richard". He's one of the most immature kids I've seen in a long time.

I'm done with him.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3284 by Illhawk
He reminds me of the kids who saw basketball as a variation of HORSE. They liked shooting and were good at it. The other aspects like playing D and getting a teammate a good shot were annoyances while they waited to get the ball and put it up.

If I were HCBS I would let the team decide his fate within a range of one game suspension at the low end and gone for good at the harsh end.

If he is gone that will be the last of our once almost Reservoir Dogs roster. ( Mr White, Mr Black ...)

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3286 by konza63
The kid came to KU worshipping the place, eager to pitch in and help the team succeed. I still remember the LJW article about him being the guy who would stay after practice and put up several hundred shots in the quiet of the Fieldhouse to continue to hone his craft.

Yet, at KU under Self, he couldn't get on the floor. And when he did, he was yanked at the first sign of a mistake. Frustrated, he made the wise decision to transfer. How did that work out for him?

He's averaging 17 points per game and hauling down 6 rebounds per game (as a guard). Last night, against a very good Maryland team with great guards, he had 19 points and 9 rebounds.

Clearly that kind of production could've been very helpful to this KU squad if he had stayed and been given ample opportunity.

So the question becomes: Why was there such a short leash on Andrew, and how/why did Self and the staff fail to see, develop, and utilize his potential?

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3287 by Bayhawk
Why do I have to be pink?

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #3301 by NotOstertag
Greene is a 1-dimensional player. That's on him, not on the staff. You need to play defense, rebound, pass, move, set screens, and occasionally "create" something to play, especially at KU.

Greene's specialty is shooting. Period. End of story. He only rarely "gets himself" open, but instead tends to go stand in the corner or wing and wait in the hopes that his guy will go do something else, leave him open, and that somebody will throw him the ball. Hell, I saw Archie Marshall do that with one leg immobilized in a brace once. ;)

At this point, I think Greene has already been exposed as a one-trick-pony, and as such was already doomed to spending the majority of his time sitting. With that in mind, I had already kind of written him off as bit of a novelty for the team rather than a core producer. So if he's in the doghouse for the duration, it's really just a sideshow to what's really happening. My only fear is that he lets his attitude permeate the rest of the team, it could cause some damage.

He's got a year left. I think he needs to take some time this spring and summer and do some soul searching. If he wants to pursue basketball after college (not talking NBA here, but could probably play overseas) he'd better get coachable very quickly.

At this point, I'd think that his odds of playing in Manhattan are pretty low unless we're absolutely desperate (and Archie isn't in town).

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 2 months ago #3310 by KMT
that's been my one major critique of Self of late - quick leashes, inconsistent rotations, too many minutes for core people, not enough development minutes, etc. etc. - much of what has been posted here previously.

I didn't realize Andrew had blossomed so well.

I'd like to first hear from BG on what his rational was before crucifying the guy, i.e. he thought time was out already anyway and he was just going in playfully no different than players shooting the ball after the whistle or related. I saw it as well and IMHO didn't come across as a DM because it was soft and not punctuated with any aggression or in your face.

While he has made his bed, I also fault Self with the minutes he allocates Brannen.

Maybe it's the stress of the job, or continuing the streak or what - but Self this year has not been the Self that I wanted to come to KU from Illinois (I live in Chicago, so saw a lot of Self when he was at Illinois).

You will never get what you want from players until you get them game experience and teach them from their mistakes, not angrily remove them from the game. That said, I agreed with Coach pulling Wayne after two lazy TOs with 3 minutes left.

Rock Chalk!

More
8 years 2 months ago #3322 by LKF_HAWK
KMT- l am in Chicago as well. Greene lis maddeningly inconsistent. He came off his suspension and played well. He the comes off an injury, knee, and is back to his bad ways

More
8 years 2 months ago #3361 by Hawknmo
Tons of great points from all. But I am mostly on board with KMT. Yes, BG is a one trick pony. Yes, he is a bit of a diva. Yes, dunking with under 2 seconds left was questionable at best. I would bet his high school coach would tell you he was like that too. But unilke there, now anytime he crosses a line he loses PT. Even when he goes against his nature and passes up shots to get teammates better looks he isn't getting the same amount of floor time as in past years when he green-lighted himself. (Was that two puns there?) No, he isn't a defensive stopper. No, his handle isn't NBA caliber. But when he transfers, and yes I'm predicting it now, he WILL start for another D1 team. He WILL have the green light from that coach. And he will probably increase whatever his earning potential is wherever he plays in the future. HCBS recruited a diva and has tried to change his attitude by limiting minutes. In this instance, it may have backfired.

I'm also of the opinion that the short hook has not only appiled to Greene. I think the same could be said of Svi, Bragg, Diallo and Hunter. It has been a perplexing season to say the least and I am a bit worried that not having it figured out by February could spell an early exit in KC and later in March.

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

More
8 years 2 months ago #3402 by LSHawk
Bye, Brennen...

More
8 years 2 months ago #3521 by Slayer2384
I also noticed in I think the second half, that Brennan threw a shoulder into a K-Stater Big as he was passing the Free Throw line to get to his offensive position.