Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Arterio Morris -- charges dismissed

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #32641 by HawkErrant
Link to LJW

Rape charge against former KU basketball player dismissed due to insufficient evidence
APR 9, 2024 - 3:47PM
CHRIS CONDE
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

A rape charge against a former KU basketball player was dismissed on Tuesday due to insufficient evidence.

Arterio Morris, 21, of Dallas, was charged in Douglas County District Court with one felony count of rape in connection with an incident on Aug. 28, 2023, involving an 18-year-old woman at the KU basketball player’s dormitory, as the Journal-World reported.

Morris was scheduled for a preliminary hearing in March but instead entered into mediation talks with the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office. A status conference was scheduled for Wednesday for the parties to update the court about the negotiations, but that conference was canceled with a note that said “case dismissed.”

The state, represented by Deputy District Attorney Joshua Seiden, filed a motion to dismiss citing “insufficient evidence,” according to court records.
(Emphasis mine - HE)

Morris was suspended after the allegations were made public and was dismissed from the KU basketball program after he was formally charged in September 2023. Morris had been free on a $75,000 surety bond.

=========

My thoughts.

Not defending Morris in any way in the following.

Simply analyzing the situation in the framework of the highly competitive, high $ world of Men'$ College Ba$ketball.

I have wondered from the beginning if this case would go anywhere.

Morris may truly have been guilty as sin.
I do not know the numbers, but I do know that many, many sexual assault cases go nowhere due to lack of evidence.

And yet I can't help but wonder if Morris also may have been the target of a "sting" designed to keep him from ever playing at KU.

He was an easy target.

Yea, I can be cynical at times.

I've lived too long not to be.

And note that Self & Co, sensitive and still waiting for the final results of the NCAA fiasco, still left themselves wide open for such a ploy in taking Morris.

Whether this is mere speculation or not, as a result of this case I can see Self doubting if he will want to take chances on "troubled" young players in the future after this season. Not having Morris dramatically changed the team he had planned on for AY2023-24. There is no question in that assessment. And while I certainly understand if Self opts to stay off that path from now on, I think that is a shame because all some young people need are the right situation and helping hands to work themselves to a better place (see Jamari Traylor for one KU example).

Whatever the reality was in this instance, I hope both Morris and the young woman involved are able to go forward and have happy and productive lives now that this particular part of their lives is over.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, boulderhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.