Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

NCAA Championships

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #32632 by replayloungehawk
I really don't get it. Since 1999 below are the stats for NCAA Men's Basketball Champions. How the heck has UCONN gotten so good?

UCONN - 6
UNC - 3
Duke - 3
KS - 2
Florida - 2
Villanova - 2
Eight others with - 1

I'm not going to be able to continue to watch college basketball if UCONN becomes a modern day UCLA...It'd be one thing if I didn't mind their coach, like Jim Calhoun was alright in my book. Kevin Ollie didn't bother me. Dan Hurley is absolutely awful. Yelling, complaining, coming out on the court, talking to opposing players, he's a complete jacka$$!!! I sure hope this doesn't last.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #32634 by Bayhawk
I still count 2020,

--RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #32636 by LKF_HAWK
How much does this narrative change if 2020 plays out. But damn UCONN has owned it, hate that HCDH is right.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #32654 by USAF Jayhawk

Bayhawk wrote: I still count 2020,

--RC

As much as it pains me....you can't. How often does the number one seed win it all? Less than half the time I'd warrant, so the odds that KU would have won are less than even. Sorry...

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #32663 by NotOstertag
Gotta agree. In 1997, KU went into the tournament at 32-1 and had Jacque Vaughn, Billy Thomas, Ryan Robertson, Scot Pollard, Paul Pierce, Raef LaFrentz, Jerod Haase and Nick Bradford on the team. They were #1 in both polls every week starting at week 3, and never went below #2 prior to that.

No team ever had a better chance to win it all. I'd say that the '97 team would have beat the 2020 team.

But they got a flu bug and got beat by Arizona who came in at 19-9. I guess the irony is that we potentially left 2 banners on the table due to tiny viruses.

Gotta play the games to claim the win.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #32670 by HawkErrant
I also agree we can’t claim an NCAA title.

But I also believe that squad deserves commemoration because like HCBS I really liked their chances and “couldn’t see anyone beating us.”

#1 in every metric that matters at season’s end, starting with the two opinion polls and ending with CorpusJayhawk’s DPPI.

Yes, it’s entirely possible the same could be said for the 1997 squad. The polls certainly said it, and I imagine most of the quant models had them either at the top or second. They were just so dominant.

But they had their chance. It took the flu bug, Haase’s practically useless non-dominant hand and Pollard’s still healing broken foot to slow them down enough for AZ to make history (still it’s only NC), but they at least had the opportunity to try.

2020 team never got the chance. “They wuz robbed!”, along with every other team that could have had a chance, by COVID-19.

So they truly had the only claim to being #1 at the end of that season.

And honestly, I’d take a Bill Self coached KU team against a Roy Williams coached KU team every time.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #32673 by NotOstertag
Good point on coaching. Self is a much better coach in game situations and he's proved it consistently when facing Roy's teams.

Still would make a good debate: 1997 vs. 2020. I think '97 had more eventual NBA players (maybe I'm wrong). It would be cool to do an in-depth analysis. The kind of discussion that wiinds up with a lot of empty beer cans lying around and no real answers.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant