Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Zeke Mayo coming to KU

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 month 2 days ago - 1 month 2 days ago #32610 by replayloungehawk
I'm actually very excited about this commit. Could be an excellent scorer for us!!!

Zeke
Last Edit: 1 month 2 days ago by replayloungehawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 month 2 days ago #32612 by HawkErrant
Very pleased to see Zeke return home to play for KU. Just what the head coach ordered!

At this point, until we learn who might be leaving, KU has no more scholarships to offer.

But given — as I understand it — the staff is still going full throttle to get new faces, it seems they expect to lose at least one (Furphy to the NBA?) or two guys (Jamari? Maybe Elmarko?).

My personal preference would be for Zach Clemence to transfer. I just don’t see him contributing at the level needed.

I think both Elmarko and Jamari can be solid program players.

And I’d love to see Johnny back, too, of course. I’m sure he’s going to test the waters, but it looks as if his draft stock has dropped significantly since he hit the freshman wall. If he’s looking at late first round and another season could result in him being a solid mid to high lottery pick in 2025, the contract differences could be dramatically significant.

Yeah, I am greedy, but if it looks as if he’ll be late first round, with the possibility of slipping to round 2, I think it would be in his best interests to return.

I will confess that Hofstra small forward Dubar intrigues me.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

More
1 month 1 day ago #32615 by sasnak
You and I will have to disagree on Zach. When we DID get to see him play, I saw a smart guy with some talent who just needed some minutes. I was not happy when both he and Ernie transferred out. Don't even get me started on the loss of Ernie. He would be a monster with the right coach. Hunter needs to step up his defense a LOT for me to be in his camp. You say, "He gets double doubles" Yeah so do most guys over 7' with his playing time. We just need to quit offering scholarships to the "trouble" kids, I won't mention any names but we have had a few. We need more kids with Kevin McCullar's mindset who would love to put in the work and we will be fine. JMHO

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, boulderhawk, Socalhawk, KMT

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 month 1 day ago - 1 month 14 hours ago #32617 by HawkErrant

sasnak wrote: You and I will have to disagree on Zach. When we DID get to see him play, I saw a smart guy with some talent who just needed some minutes.1 I was not happy when both he and Ernie transferred out. Don't even get me started on the loss of Ernie. He would be a monster with the right coach.2 Hunter needs to step up his defense a LOT for me to be in his camp. You say, "He gets double doubles" Yeah so do most guys over 7' with his playing time.3 We just need to quit offering scholarships to the "trouble" kids, I won't mention any names but we have had a few. We need more kids with Kevin McCullar's mindset who would love to put in the work and we will be fine.4 JMHO

1. I hope you are right, we could use the player that was advertised coming out of HS. He's clearly a smart guy, but I seldom saw him be *that* player in the limited minutes he was on the floor in prior years. If he has improved during his redshirt year and demonstrates the ability to be a solid contributor at this level, I'll be the first in line to vote for him as most improved player next year. I so WANT the young man to succeed! I just don't see him as having the wherewithal to do it at the P5 level.

2. Based on what we saw in his freshman year, I absolutely agree with you on Udeh. NEVER wanted to lose Ernest -- or Zuby Eijofor, for that matter. What might have been...

3. You have me confused with someone else on this particular point as we have clearly both pitched our tents in the same camp!

Yes, Hunter does get his double-doubles, but when the opposition is carving us up on pick and rolls because Hunter just can't defend it, it rather offsets his offensive contributions. I see in him the same issues I saw in Raef LaFrentz. I acknowledged Raef's offense then, but hated his defense. (Sure he was a good shot blocker. He got good at doing it because he was beat so often.)
Notably both were repeat All-Americans.

I will be interested to see if Hunter's NBA career goes better than Raef's journeyman NBA career did.

4. Concur wholeheartedly!

ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 1 month 14 hours ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk