Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Final thoughts from a cluttered mind…

More
1 month 6 days ago #32583 by Kong
A frustrating season to be sure.

Pre-season things looked pretty good. Then we lost some folks to the portal and legal issues. That drastically cut in to our depth and talent.

We had a pretty fair starting 5, but very clearly soft. Other than KJ and McCueller, nobody sought contact. We had a center that got a ton of points but played so soft that if he had half a dozen dunks I would be surprised and his defenders never got in to foul trouble.

In a brief stretch (very brief) Furphy looked like the missing piece. Then his shot stopped falling. He still did a lot of things to help, but without a real consistent threat on the outside, we were toast. I fail to see how he is still in the NBA draft talk. He should go and find out what he needs to do to be a serious contender and then comeback to improve his status.

Harris never seemed to find his from from last year. Hoping he can next year.

KJ could be a superstar. He plays with contact has a nice shot in short and can rebound. If he came back and developed a decent deep shot, then he might become a lottery pick. He is just so darn athletic.

Looking forward to football this year. When was the last time a KU fan said that in March?!?!?!?

So long and thanks for all the fish

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, Socalhawk, porthawk, KMT, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
1 month 3 days ago #32598 by hairyhawk
I know I am in the minority here but I believe KJ is part of the problem. He does so many things really well but if your 4 can't shoot the 3 you are not going to be competitive at the top level. It gives the defense too much of an advantage. I agree that if he can get confidence in his outside shot he can be great but he needs that for KU to thrive in the college game as it is played now.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 month 3 days ago - 1 month 3 days ago #32600 by HawkErrant
I think in today's game KJ makes a fantastic 6th man, but his lack of outside shooting -- and mystifyingly poor rebounding -- make him a liability on any team with NCAA title aspirations UNLESS the other 4 starters are excellent enough from deep and on the boards to make a difference (see 2022 - and even then, he was the 6th man...).

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 1 month 3 days ago by HawkErrant.

More
1 month 2 days ago #32602 by Riverhawk
Respectfully, I think the problem doesn't lie with KJ. He's a very good asset and does a lot that doesn't always get noticed. No, he doesn't have an outside shot, but neither really did anyone else on this team. That fact, plus Harris is so reluctant to shoot 3s, even tho his percentage is pretty good, makes it easy for the defense to clog the middle and limit Hunter. They sag off Harris just as they do KJ. If Gradey had stuck around and McCullar had stayed healthy, this past season might have ended quite differently. Get some decent shooters around KJ, and he's just fine as a starter. Not to mention his athleticism and defense, which was far better to my mind than anyone else on this squad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, boulderhawk, porthawk, KMT