Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Universe going nuts over Self's post-game comments

• USAF Jayhawk
  • USAF Jayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
1 month 1 week ago #32541 by USAF Jayhawk
Post game

Self commented that they (as a staff) failed to put a good roster together and he started thinking about next year a month ago. I see nothing wrong, that's what good coaches do. But man oh man the universe is coming unglued, basically saying "He quit on them".

Sheesh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, boulderhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
1 month 1 week ago #32545 by hairyhawk
I think he was just being honest because we did not have the quality depth needed to win at this level.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, boulderhawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 month 1 week ago #32550 by HawkErrant

hairyhawk wrote: I think he was just being honest because we did not have the quality depth needed to win at this level.

And without a healthy McCullar we did not have the starting lineup needed to win titles at this level.

Will be interesting (given KJ’s postgame comments) to see if he returns.

Here are his the thoughts of Jayhawkslant’s Shay Wildeboor on the topic of who will stay and who will go…
Shay
10:33 am Today

Now that the season has officially ended, there are some guys on the roster that will need to make decisions about whether they'll stay or go. This is just my opinion right now and it's subject to change.

Hunter Dickinson -- I think he will ultimately made the decision to return for a final season at Kansas. I didn't believe he is currently on any draft boards and I don't see him making the jump to overseas. I think another season in Lawrence is likely.

Dajuan Harris -- He's absolutely coming back and he's made that clear from the beginning.

Johnny Furphy -- Right now, I think that he could return for another season in Lawrence. He struggled down the stretch somewhat and I think another season under Self will do him good. I am interested to see how this one plays out

Jamari McDowell -- I see him coming back for another season. I haven't heard any transfer talk at all.

Elmarko Jackson -- this is the one to watch -- for sure. We all know that Jackson recently stated that he's coming back to Kansas for another run, but I'll be interested to see if that actually takes place. A lot of transfer talk in the last month of the season. However, I know he told several people in Salt Lake City that he plans to return.

KJ Adams, Jr. -- I was surprised yesterday when, after being asked when he responded by saying he wasn't sure if he'd be back or not. Honestly, unless he intends to transfer, I've got no idea where he's going. That really came as a surprise. I can't imagine Adams not returning, but stranger things have happened.

Zach Clemence -- I've said all along that I would be somewhat surprised if he made the decision to return. I always thought he'd use the redshirt year to get stronger, continue to grow and improve as a player, and then finish out his career elsewhere. That feeling hasn't changed, but I also haven't heard anything at all regarding his future plans. Something to watch for sure.

=========

I am in agreement with Shay on Hunter, Dajuan, Johnny & Jamari.

I’m hoping he’s right that Elmarko will be back. I want to see his sophomore jump, I think it could be a big deal.

I’m hoping KJ returns because I think he’s a GREAT 6th man. If he somehow develops his outside shot AND learns to consistently rebound, he would still be on my starting 5. Without improvements in both those skills, I’m not sure. I just know he is definitely a valuable teammate.

Lastly on Zach, I think Shay’s right on what Zach’s plan is. I just don’t know what other teams will think of how Zach could help them given his lack of resume. Poor resume before this year had him staying at KU. Redshirting this past season should help his internal value but not necessarily his MARKET value if he decides to try the portal again.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, boulderhawk, porthawk, jaythawk1

More
1 month 1 week ago #32562 by NotOstertag
I'd be really disappointed if KJ left, but I'll leave it there.

As for Self's comments, he's not a stupid man and anyone could see that this team stopped being a contender sometime in January. From that point on, it was like watching the water slowly drain out of a bucket with a hole in the bottom. For Self to not realize this and begin thinking about fixing it is part of what makes him a great coach. Even early in the season he made comments about lack of depth and how that wasn't going to happen again.

Does that mean he mailed it in? No. He played the hand he was dealt. If the tourament committee could actually do some kind of scientific analysis of where a team was at the moment of the tournement (not having to rely heavily on past results) we would have been seeded much lower than a 4. Our last "quality" win was vs. barely ranked Oklahoma in mid-February and they missed the tournament. Prior to that we beat Baylor in AFH on 2/11. And even by then, we were clearly leaking oil. In short, we never had a chance and now we can move on having avoided the embarassment of a 1st round knockout (albeit thanks to a blown call).

Compare that to when RW allowed himself to be woo'ed by UNC during the 2003 tournament. Those discussions were clearly going on during the tournament and were a major distraction. Despite his denials, there's just no way that he was 100% focused on the prize when UNC and the press were badgering him constantly about whether he'd take the UNC offer.

I predict that this story will go away before the next round begins.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, porthawk

More
1 month 1 week ago #32566 by RobS
How could a coach NOT think about roster needs while a season is ongoing? Aren't all of the potential recruits also playing ball during a roughly concurrent season and in between games and practices, isn't Self and his staff traveling to scout and recruit?

P.S. Once again, I was too busy this season to watch much basketball (only watched the 1st half of the loss to ISU and 3/4 of the loss to Gonzaga) but I always checked in here after the games to get the "real story." Thanks to those who watch and contribute. Hopefully next year I "should" have more time to watch and contribute here.

Mongo just pawn in game of life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
1 month 1 week ago #32567 by porthawk
Both solid points NotO and RobS. All of the comments here from posters have definitely made me rethink that "feeling" I was having. And isn't that what good and hearty discourse is all about (And I mean that with all seriousness.)

More
1 month 1 week ago #32576 by Illhawk
If I can turn my attention ton nest years football season HCBS might as well get started on next season.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 month 1 week ago #32577 by HawkErrant
The media fools chastising Self for “quitting” on this year’s team are after one of two things (maybe both) - clicks and, in the case of true KU haters, deep digs - no matter how contrived the latter are.

Wastes of space and our time.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"