Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

McCullar status 2024-02-25

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
2 months 1 week ago #32318 by HawkErrant
BLUF - do not be surprised if Kevin does not play again until the postseason.

From JayhawkSlant.com: Without Kevin McCullar, Jr., No. 9 Kansas cruises past Texas, 86-67

“My concern is will he play again this year,” said Self when talking about McCullar, Jr., on Saturday night. “It’s not a day-to-day deal and he obviously won’t go on Tuesday. I’m not going to put him out there, because he’s missed so much time. You can look at games and the number of games missed, but that’s not the story.

“The story is, he played against OU and had, what, two days of a little bit of practice and then played,” he added. “He wasn't effective and he didn’t feel good at all. He’s going to practice for a good week before we put him out there, so we know that he can go and not reinjure it worse. The big thing is, I’d like to have him for the postseason, where he’s in rhythm and our team has a chance to be the best it can be, you know, going into the second week of March. I’m hoping we get him back, but it’s not anything that I’m thinking it’s going to happen tomorrow or Monday. I don’t think that at all.”

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
2 months 1 week ago #32323 by Riverhawk
they keep saying it's a bone bruise, but is that all it is? As tough and competitive as McCullar is, I find it hard to believe he would miss so many games with a bone bruise. I just wonder if there isn't more to his injury. It reminds me of Daniels and his "back spasms" during the football season. Seems like that one was much more serious than they let on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

More
2 months 1 week ago #32324 by NotOstertag
Not sure if it matters, River. If he's not able to play due to a bone bruise or whatever else, he's not able to play. Coach isn't indicating anything odd is happening, so I don't think it's anything about Kevin not wanting to play, a discipline issue, etc. Seems both Kevin and Self both want him in there, but he just can't go right now.

And from the comments, it seems like whatever it is, it's one of those "iingering" things that will probaby need some kind off off season rehab or maybe even some kind of procedure. Harkens me back to Embiid's foot problems. He eventually needed offseason surgery, but he could play with it without causing more damage, it was just VERY painful.

This smells like a similar issue. The issue needs to be addressed with possible surgery/rehab, and if Self rests him for the next 2 weeks, he might be "well enough" to play in the Big 12 tournament, or NCAA tournament.

To pull the thread of speculation further, if this is the case, Self has also probably conceded that KU won't win win the regular season title, so it really doesn't matter much if we finish 2-4. Since Baylor wasn't able to provide any help vs. Houston and looking at Houston's upcoming schedule, even if KU can beat them in the final game, it won't be enough to catch them.

Reading Self's mind, he's probably thinking that the healthy guys are going to need to step up to salvage the most they can out of the regular season and probably finish 2nd or 3rd. Meanwhile, the bench guys will be forced to step up and will gain some experience heading into the post season, where hopefully Kevin will be able to channel his competitiveness and determination to fight though whatever pain he's experiencing to make a final impact as a college player.

Or it's equally likely that my psychic abilities are total crap and I'm 100% wrong.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, boulderhawk

More
2 months 1 week ago #32325 by Riverhawk
Not important now, but I thought Embiid's issue was his back? The only semi-positive thing out of this is that Self has been forced to play his bench more, and those guys were really good against Texas. Will help their confidence, and the team's prospects going forward. Still need Kevin back, tho, obviously.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
2 months 1 week ago #32326 by NotOstertag
Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else. KU big who had stress fractures in his foot a few years back. Painful, but could play without making it worse.

Maybe I'm misremembering which KU big it was.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot