Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Looking at our Bigs: by eye test and by the numbers...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3155 by konza63
Jesse Newell has an interesting column today, which underscores how Lucas and Traylor are not getting it done on the defensive end, either:

cjonline.com/sports/hawkzone/2016-02-02/...ense-missing-2015-16

It prompted me to think about this a lot more than I already have (which is quite a lot, sadly).

So, on the purely qualitative side of the ledger, what is it, exactly, that our two upperclassmen bigs bring to the floor?

Is it "experience?" Yes, they do have that. Lots of it. IMHO, experience at playing erratic (Jamari) and experience at playing vanilla (Landon).

Is it "the understanding of what KU is running?" Okay, I'll concede that one, particularly for Landon. But you also have to execute--it's not enough to just have an understanding of what's going on if you can't run it and finish effectively. Landon can't finish well at the rim, and as Senex notes, refuses to dunk the ball with power for what would seem an easy 2 points on occasion. As for Jamari, as Senex, Corpus, and I have pointed out ad nauseum, he misses simple bunnies far too often to count. He doesn't box out consistently well on rebounds. He doesn't defend well in space against screen switches. He has very little chops when it comes to rim protection. He turns the ball over when passing and dribbling at an excessive rate. And he routinely blows screening assignments with illegal screen calls--often negating a KU score in the process. He does, however, provide hustle and energy, and for every 3-4 mistakes will occasionally make a big play. So there's that.

Is there anything else to add?

As for the quantitative side, with Newell having covered the important defensive category of blocks and rim protection, here's a look at some other interesting numbers for the bigs on this year's KU squad, courtesy of Sports-Reference.com, the key web source for advanced statistics :

www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/kansas/2016.html

There are lots of different tables and data points here, but the ones that really stand out for production at the 4/5 spots are as follows (with leaders to last in descending order):

(Per 40 Minutes Table, 2-point performance*)

1. Bragg, 7.7
2. Diallo, 7.4
3. Ellis, 6.9
4. Mickelson, 5.1
5. Lucas, 4.1
6. Traylor, 2.6

What stands out: Bragg, Diallo, and Ellis are the most proficient interior scorers among our bigs. Mickelson is decent as well, Lucas brings about half of what Bragg does, and Traylor is both sub-par and rock-bottom. It's also worth noting total points scored per 40 minutes, from that same table: Ellis at 21.8, Diallo at 18.2, Bragg at 17.6, and then Lucas at 11.3, Traylor at 8.0. Bottom line: when Lucas and Traylor are on the court at the same time, expect some truly horrid production around the rim.

(Per 40 Minutes Table, total rebounds**)

1.Lucas, 14.5
2. Mickelson, 11.6
3. Diallo, 11.6
4. Traylor, 10.3
5. Bragg, 10.2
6. Ellis, 8.9

What stands out: Other than Lucas standing out as our best rebounder (by a significant 3 rebounds per game), this is pretty much a wash. Mick and Diallo get almost 1.5 more RPG than Traylor, but Traylor and Bragg are pretty much identical. Ellis brings up the rear, pretty noticeably, but that's to be expected given his frame relative to the other guys.

(100 Possession table, total points***)

1. Ellis, 30.7
2. Diallo, 25.6
3. Bragg, 24.7
4. Mickelson, 17.4
5. Lucas, 15.9
6. Traylor, 11.3

What stands out: No surprise that Ellis is at the top as the most proficient scorer. Also no surprise (to this observer, anyway) that Traylor is the polar opposite, and dead last with very putrid numbers. Lucas is better, but still not good. Mickelson is a bit better than Lucas, while our two young guys really stand out with their high numbers, despite having much experience against good-caliber competition. And again, when Lucas and Traylor are on the court at the same time, look for KU to go into a notable scoring funk inside. (Instead of teams playing us "5 on 4" when it's just one of those two in the game, they can essentially play us "5 on 3" when both are in and KU has the ball.)

(100 Possession table, overall Defensive Rating****)

1. Mickelson, 83.3
2. Diallo, 89.9
3. Traylor, 92.7
4. Lucas, 94.9
5. Bragg, 95.8
6. Ellis, 99.7

What stands out: Mickelson stands out as the best inside defender. Diallo also does a good job, relatively speaking. Traylor actually specs out above Lucas, which surprises me a bit. There's a slight drop-off with Bragg, which rings true with this observer's "eye test." Ellis pulls up the rear, which should surprise no one for this category.

(100 Advanced table, overall Player Efficiency Rating, offense/defense*****)

1. Mickelson, 24.3
2. Ellis, 23.2
3. Diallo, 20.7
4. Bragg, 20.2
5. Lucas, 16.5
6. Traylor, 13.4

What stands out: Taking out Ellis, whose role and minutes are clearly established with Self, Mickelson stands out as providing the best overall game (at this juncture) among the remaining bigs. After that, Diallo and Bragg clearly hover above the more experienced Lucas and Traylor--the two players garnering the lion's share of remaining 4/5 minutes.

In short, when it comes to Mickelson and the young guys (as playing options) versus the upperclassmen, the number of minutes earned relative to actual on-court production seems very skewed. And if we're left with a MPG choice just between Lucas and Traylor, Lucas specs out as the more effective player and slightly more optimal choice (not accounting for matchups, etc.).

FWIW... :unsure:

I'm curious to hear what others see in the numbers (and what you think overall). And for those who really crunch these on a daily basis (Corpus, I'm looking at you!) to wade in with any interpretations, addenda, caveats, and perspective. But let's not keep this confined to the pure number-crunchers. What say you, RCB board members? (Regular posters, less frequent posters, and lurkers)

As an aside, it would also be intriguing for someone else to parse these numbers when thinking about actual pairings or 3-man rotations on the floor, relative to what we tend to actually see with playing and substitution patterns in KU games. Just to get a sense of ideal sub-rotations and so forth... I definitely don't have time to do that...

Even if we don't see significant changes in the rotation and MPG allocation going forward, this is an interesting discussion to have.

Let me close this tome by getting the following out of the way. I have no personal axe to grind with Traylor or Lucas (who I happen to think deserves more minutes than the latter, IF it comes down to that rather unsavory choice). No animus whatsoever. I love both kids and their stories. I appreciate their sacrifices. I welcome the fact that they work hard and wear the KU uniform with pride. Both are lifetime members of the Jayhawk family and fraternity. The focus here is pure production on the court, and who can help KU be the best team it can be this season. So it would be nice to keep the discussion focused purely on those meritocratic dimensions.

Fire away...

(Notes)

* This stat is important because this is what bigs are charged to do when they get the ball near the rim on offense: score 2-point buckets.

** This stat is important because bigs have to rebound the ball. (Captain Obvious)

*** Another indicator of offensive efficiency.

**** The overall composite rating for a player's defensive efficiency (that is, how he executes on the defensive end (to include the FT line), covering estimated points allowed per 100 possessions.

***** The overall rating of each player's per-minute productivity on both offense and defense combined. (For more on this, see www.basketball-reference.com/about/per.html and espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=2850240...mnist=hollinger_john )

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, DrJHawker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #3160 by ATXJayhawk
Great analysis Konza. Very well written. You proved that the eye test is backed up by hard data.

I especially loved when you said, "And again, when Lucas and Traylor are on the court at the same time, look for KU to go into a notable scoring funk inside." What gets me is you are able to generate this kind of data and yet Bill continues to put Lucas and Traylor on the court together. You would think our assistant coaches and stats guys would notice that maybe these two shouldn't be playing together. :blink:

This data also proves that Lucas is our best rebounder which is what I thought. It's a shame he isn't a great finisher around the rim. It also looks like Bragg and Diallo should get more minutes as we wind down the season as they are proficient 2pt scorers. I also thought Mickelson was our best big man defender and the numbers back that up. I know he is good at blocking shots and it still baffles me as to why Bill has practically sent him to the bench in Big 12 play.

I'd also like to add that KU is not a good offensive rebounding team compared to the rest of the big 12. We are ranked 131st in the nation in offensive rebounding % which is 3rd worst in the Big 12. West Virginia is 1st, Baylor is 3rd, K-State is 25th, Texas is 71st, TexasTech is 100th, OU is 116th, TCU is 125th, OK ST is 188th, and Iowa State is 245th. This really shows how far our big man coaching has fallen in recent years.

In summary, our big man situation is a mess to put it lightly. This team has so many specialties that it makes it hard for Bill to get a solid rotation. It's the reason he is still having problems deciding which big men to play. Personally, I still have faith that Diallo will continue to progress as we close out the season.

Crimson and blue looks so much better than burnt orange!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 2 months ago #3163 by NotOstertag
My question is with the data based on the unequal minutes. While somebody's per-minute stats are telling, if somebody is playing significantly more or less then it throws things off, especially if more of those minutes are "recent".

Here's how they stack up on time:

Perry: 629 minutes
Traylor: 279 minutes
Lucas: 265 minutes
Bragg: 223 minutes
Mickleson: 165 minutes
Diallo: 141 minutes

So comparing Traylor to Diallo is certainly valid, but Traylor has also played almost 2x as many minutes which is probably statisticall significant enough to impact the differences. As HCBS shortens his rotation, it'll be even harder to compare Mickleson's numbers (most of which were racked up early in the year) to somebody like Lucas who's time is increasing. Heck, you can't even really look at "last 3 games" or other recent data because it's probably even MORE skewed.

Not being critical of the analysis, but just thinking that (as with most things) we're only operating with a fraction of the available information.

Seems from the "eye test" anyway, that Bragg's moving up in the rotation and is on an upward trajectory, which he'll take at the expense of Landon and Jamari (not necessarily in that order). Diallo's trajectory seems to be level at the moment. Hopefully we'll be up by a million tonight and he'll get some playing time.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #3166 by konza63
Just so I'm clear on what you're saying, the advanced stats take into account different minutes levels among players. That's why they "regularize" them to a common standard (e.g., 40 minutes, or a full game, or 100 possessions).

In other words, they break down each player's efficiency levels based on the minutes they actually do play, then estimate those out (based on their formulas for the particular variables in question), over a common, standardized measurement. That's intentional, so they can get to some solid comparative estimates.

And unlike some of the baseball projection metrics that look out into the future (see: Fangraphs, ZiPs, etc.), the data cited here are not projecting future performance based on past performance. Instead, they're citing concrete, present data to show you how each player is faring (individually and comparatively) in the here and now. So it's pretty revealing stuff.

Are we on the same page with that?

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3172 by NotOstertag
We're on the same page, but I think we're seeing it differently (or I'm seeing a potential flaw in the data that you might not be seeing).

Take the "per 40 minute" measurements (but the same logic applies to all of them.

Perry's "data set" consists of 629 minutes, whereas Diallo's is only 141. That makes Perry's database roughly 4.5 times larger than Diallo's. Statistically, the bigger data set you're dealing with, the more stable the numbers will be. Therefore Perry's data set (4.5x bigger than Diallo's) will do a better job of predicting future performance since the little anomalies of a exceptionally good performances and exceptionally bad performances level out over time. Diallo, with a smaller data set, will have numbers that are less predictive because of the statistical variation inherent within a smaller group.

Example: Let's say Self finally decides to activate me in the roster and I puts me in for the last 2 minutes of the KSU game, and as time runs out, I find myself with the ball, huck up a shot, and miraculously it goes in. 2 points in 2 minutes translates to a 40 minute projection of 40 points per game, or a 2 point performance rating of 20. Hell, compared to Perry's paltry 6.9 rating, I should be starting.

Of course, this is an extreme example, and part of the reason we can Evan Mannings .500 3 point shooting percentage (3 for 6 on the year) with a grain of salt.

In this case, there are two things happening:
1.) I'd say that Diallo's 141 minutes is statistically "different enough" from Landon or Traylor's numbers since they've played roughly twice as many minutes as he has...which can alter the validity of the numbers.

2.) The TYPES of minutes that each guy is playing are also different. Diallo, and to a lesser extent Bragg, have played fewer minutes in clutch times during clutch games. At critical times so far this year, HCBS has opted to have Lucas or Traylor in during these times than Bragg or Diallo. During these key times, we're usually struggling to score and/or in the process of trying to absorb our opponents'' best shot. So while Bragg and Diallo are more likely to play during junk time, Lucas and Traylor see more time in the clutch...which could impact the numbers.

Ideally, I'd like to see the numbers based on the last 5-6 games, and somehow "magically" have them all having played similar minutes...which is obviously not possible.

Anyway, not trying to invalidate the data (aside from Diallo and Mickleson, and of course Perry) the rest are pretty close from a minutes perspective (although Bragg has played increasing amounts more recently).

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3173 by konza63
Yep, I totally get that. It's the "sample size" question...as in very differentiated sample sizes.

I take the point (completely). The counter to that, of course, is that it takes Self to make that happen. ;) In other words, statistically speaking, we've got a chicken-egg problem with your critique, because we can't get a bigger sample size until Self plays them more.

Generally speaking, however, doesn't your gut tell you that Bragg's and Diallo's numbers would likely go up (even if slightly) as their playing time increased? Or at worst, stay about the same?

It seems to me that the more court time they've gotten this year, the better they've looked. Yes, they're still making mistakes, but that takes us back, in part, to the chicken-egg thing with Self again. They are young, they're going to make mistakes, but the more time they get on the floor, presumably the more they'll get comfortable, the more they'll know their role, the more they'll gel with the other parts, and so on. (I know that the countervailing data point is probably Jamari, who really hasn't improved on a year-to-year basis, but you get the point...and he clearly didn't come in with the far higher ceiling that Diallo and Bragg possess.)

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3175 by JRhawk
Konza - thanks for all the analysis. The good news is that Traylor will be gone next year - the bad news is that Lucas won't be. Sadly, Hunter will be gone too.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #3177 by konza63
JR--Thanks. You've never been one to mince words, so tell us how you really feel. ;)

More
8 years 2 months ago #3179 by JRhawk
Oh, of course went without saying that Ellis will be gone too. The question is whether there will be any bigs left other than Lucas and U. Azu?

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #3180 by konza63
Dwight Coleby will be in the fold after a year in the system (injury recovery, etc.). Lightfoot will be a freshman.

Diallo and Bragg? Who knows?

More
8 years 2 months ago #3189 by JRhawk
Yes, realized the error of my ways the minute I hit Submit. No disrespect to those late names, but unless Dwight's brother is a big step up from his brother Kadeem (2.6 pts / 2.8 boards) at WSU, I'm not excited. Same for Lightfoot.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3350 by DrJHawker
The kid has hardly seen game time yet he's toward the top in most categories. The more he plays the better he'll get. I'm trying to trust Self on this one but I hope eventually he frees Diallo.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3351 by NotOstertag
I'll split the difference with you. Yes with Bragg, no with Diallo.

Bragg seems to be much further along, can hit the 10' jumper and plays taller than he is.

Diallo is more athletically gifted than a guy like Lucas, but Lucas makes fewer mistakes.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3352 by NotOstertag
At this point, I think Diallo will be back and that could be a very good thing. Another year of learning the game, plus the Hudy treatment. Scary.

Bragg could be back too. The NBA draft continues to be a mystery to me, so I'm sure that some experts will drool over Bragg as a 1st rounder based on "potential", but I haven't seen it yet. The foundation is certainly there, but I could see him or Diallo having ridiculous numbers next year.