Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

This team...

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 1 week ago #32236 by replayloungehawk
I know we were down a starter but man, to have a team have 20+ turnovers and you only beat them by three is bad. I don't know what it is about this team but I think the assessment that we are soft is the only thing that I can think of. I don't know that I've ever seen Hunter dunk. 7'2" how can he not be more aggressive. And just some of the misses the guys had. Hopefully Harris is OK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 months 1 week ago #32238 by hairyhawk
They can be frustrating to watch. They managed to keep the home streak alive. Not a very good performance on offense but the defense was really tough. Hopefully the Hawks will rebound better than they have for the road game Monday.

More
3 months 1 week ago #32239 by LKF_HAWK
This team has structural deficiencies and when you lose a starter it shrinks this team’s margin. They got the W, D was stellar most of the game.

More
3 months 1 week ago #32241 by USAF Jayhawk

replayloungehawk wrote: I don't know that I've ever seen Hunter dunk. 7'2" how can he not be more aggressive. .

He's dunked with a running start, but I've never seen him dunk from 2 feet. I made this observation a couple of days ago...he gets the ball right at the basket and always resorts to a soft jumper. Today he missed two straight from inside of a foot. One spun all the way around and the other went completely past the rim without touching it. I was screaming "DUNK IT"! #sigh
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

More
3 months 1 week ago #32243 by NotOstertag
I think USAF nailed it. He had at least 2 misses yesterday that would have been points if he just went up strong and dunked. The other thing about going stronger to the hoop is it seems that you're going to end up drawing more contact and getting to the line. He's a good FT shooter, so wouldn't it be nice to see him dunk AND make a FT afterward?

So it seems that the announcers are buying the story that playing a Saturday/Monday home/away combo is really difficult. I'm not saying it isn't, but it's almost like they're lining up excuses for us prior to our trip to Tech. Sorry folks, we never should have lost at KSU, WVU or UCF. While KSU was the only Monday game in the mix, they were coming off a 3 point loss at OSU. So KU has a blowout and a 90 minute bus ride vs. KSU plays down to the wire and has a late night plane ride. If anything KSU had the tougher turnaround. Yes, the game was in Manhattan....where USC, Nebraska, and Oklahoma all figured out how to win.

To me there are obvious things here:
1.) This team has trouble closing out games. They tend to disappear at times for long periods of time and particularly down the stretch. It's almost as if they're playing "not to lose" instead of "to win".

2.) This team absolutetly stinks on the road. This obviously bodes poorly for the rest of the season and postseason as it's my understanding that the NCAA has rejected my recommendation to host all tournament games at AFH.

3.) Depth is now an emergency issue. McCullar was out yesterday and I don't think Dejuan's ankle is going to magically be 100% after he rolled it last night. Timberlake has certainly improved, Furphy has improved, and Elmarco has become more reliable. Nevertheless, we are significantly worse when the "main 4 guys" aren't all on the court.

Right now, ESPN has KU's chances at 50.1% to win on Monday, so they're basically saying it's a coin toss. If Dejuan and Kevin aren't healthy, and combine this with a game taking place outside of Lawrence Kansas' municipal boundaries, and I don't think anyone can be blamed for being pessimistic.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
3 months 1 week ago #32244 by hairyhawk
I can't disagree, but I gotta have hope as I am sure all of us on this board try to retain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, DocBlues

More
3 months 1 week ago #32245 by porthawk
I hear what everyone is saying (I really do), but we did just beat Baylor without our leading scoring and (arguably) our best defender. That's something to feel good about, right? IF we beat T-Tech on Monday, I think the optimism will increase 10-fold.

And my positive comment is not to downplay the deficiencies of this team (as we do have them), but just to point out that we did beat a formidable conference opponent yesterday.

More
3 months 1 week ago #32246 by USAF Jayhawk
BU gave us 21 turnovers and still had not one but two chances to ties the game at the end. We were lucky.

As for Timberlake, I disagree that he's coming along. He's a volume shooter that suddenly can barely hit the ocean with a paddle from a canoe. Yes he hit two 3's, but he MISSED 5. He had the chance to ice the game with a free throw and clanked it badly. His defense is terrible (granted that was a great steal and dunk), drifting off a solid 3pt shooter at the end to give him a wide open look? He must be killing it at practice for HCBS to continuously trust him in games, 'cuz I'm not seeing it.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 months 1 week ago #32248 by HawkErrant

USAF Jayhawk wrote: BU gave us 21 turnovers and still had not one but two chances to ties the game at the end. We were lucky.

As for Timberlake, I disagree that he's coming along. He's a volume shooter that suddenly can barely hit the ocean with a paddle from a canoe. Yes he hit two 3's, but he MISSED 5. He had the chance to ice the game with a free throw and clanked it badly. His defense is terrible (granted that was a great steal and dunk), drifting off a solid 3pt shooter at the end to give him a wide open look? He must be killing it at practice for HCBS to continuously trust him in games, 'cuz I'm not seeing it.

Sometimes shots don’t fall.
3 pointer or free throw, even if you’re touted as a shooter, sometimes they just don’t fall. But come on, that’s supposed to be your thing and you repeatedly show your shot is not. >Sigh<

YOU ARE PLAYING in your first ever KU start, and for 30 of your 31 minutes you play so well that Jay Bilas is talking about the positive contributions you have brought to your team this game.

And then in that last minute of the game you do you worst to totally blow up everything you did in your first 30.

Bad entry pass to Hunter sails OOB over HD’s outstretched hand to give BU the ball and a chance to tie (64-61). To be fair, Nunn bodied HD so the big guy lost his balance, otherwise he catches that pass and scores. Arguably a foul on Nunn, but it is not called and it still counts as a turnover by you.

But you get back on D, guarding your man Nunn in the corner, but then you abandon him to help on Johnny’s man who has blown by him and is driving to the hoop for a 2 pointer. Yeah, you stop him from shooting for 2 but only because he passes to Nunn still parked all alone in the corner for a 3 attempt. BIG MISTAKE!

But Nunn misses on the gift shot, and you get the rebound and tear down the court. Fouled on the floor, you go to the line to shoot 1&1, a chance to put the game out of Baylor reach.

You, the TOUTED SHOOTER, miss the first shot!

You then streak back to get on D, but INEXPLICABLY *again* move away from the 3 point arc and end up closer to Elmarko Jackson on the side than to the shooter Walter. Walter has brought the ball up the court, Dajuan guarding him all the way back to the arc until *your* man leaves you to set a screen on Dajuan for Walter. You, instead of stepping up to pick up Dajuan’s man, have instead retreated away (standing flat footed closer to Elmarko than any Bear) and Walter launches his game tying 3 attempt. Luckily for KU & you he misses and KU wins. Unluckily for you Dajuan knows what happened and reams you out on your way off the court.

Afterward when asked specifically about *your* play during the game, Self makes it a point to say only “We won.”

Later Self says ““They got exactly what they wanted because we couldn’t get matched up five-on-five and switch a simple high ball screen.” He’s talking about you, Jayhawk.

Self also says “I actually thought our hands were better tonight. I thought our ball-screen defense was excellent. I thought Hunter did a great job on ball-screen defense. I thought behind it we had some guys screw up a couple times but for the most part it was really good, because that’s how they score.”

Self adds “This is probably the least happy I’ve been after a win because that’s not how you play basketball, and that’s certainly not the intellect in which you’re supposed to play it,” Self said. “I’m disappointed that we can make those four or five plays that we made in the last minute that put us in harm’s way to actually lose the game.”

=========
Self’s purposely being nonspecific, but again, those last 30 seconds were dominated by your bad play and we all have to believe that you will be watching some KU video today before the Super Bowl comes on.

I want you to succeed, Nic.
This team needs you.
I appreciate the energy and effort you exert.
I understand shooting slumps.
I do NOT understand brain dead, low hoops IQ defensive lapses by a senior player that result in back to back wide open trey opportunities.

Straighten his head out if you can, Dajuan!
We need his head “on” and “in” the game!

In a pregame interview with Bilas and HCBS Furphy reported that the thing Self has told him that has stuck in his head is to “get my head out of my bum”. (I submit HCBS used a synonym for “bum”).

LEARN THIS NIC!

And Self — you do that voodoo that you do so well!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, porthawk

More
3 months 1 week ago #32251 by porthawk
Another perspective on NT's game vs. Baylor.

(I was able to view the article. Hope everyone else is, too.)

www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12...rticle285341312.html