Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Blow another double digit lead, 1-4 on the road

• LKF_HAWK
  • LKF_HAWK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 1 week ago #32196 by LKF_HAWK
This team is maddening. They had the game and then poof, wet the bed. The this unheralded ksu player just turns into 2nd coming of MJ. Seriously what is wrong? 1-4 on the wrong with 3 loses agains mediocre to bad teams. Don’t get it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 months 1 week ago #32206 by Riverhawk
Two thoughts. One, playing at home in the Phog is really a BIG advantage. Two, lose to one mediocre to bad team, hey, it happens. Lose to two...hmmm. Lose to three? Well, maybe you aren't as good as you think.

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 1 week ago #32208 by replayloungehawk
Yeah, I agree River. Makes no sense to me that they can beat Tennessee, Kenyucky, UCONN, Houston, @ Indiana (decent team) and then lose to the likes of the teams they have in WVU, UCF, and KState. And that KState team looked awful last night. Nowhere near the team they had last year and it was a team we are better than. But maybe we aren't. I don't know. I will say I remember thinking that the 2022 Championship team was not all that good and had a lot of players that disappeared it seemed but then they just put it all together. I thought it showed up against UNC but they came back in the 2nd half. This team could actually go far in the tourney, if they can make it out of the first two rounds where they will play teams that have proven to be difficult for them to beat. But who knows...I have no idea what team will show up night in and night out.

More
3 months 1 week ago #32209 by Riverhawk
Me either. I think the quick Saturday-Monday turnarounds have something to do with it as well. Self has admitted he plays his starters too many minutes, and it sure seems to me it catches up to them at times. I also don't think he's handled the bench minutes well (especially with McDowell), but that's another topic. I am skeptical of much tourney success because of that very factor, and also because I remain convinced this team isn't very athletic.(with one obvious exception)

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 months 1 week ago #32211 by HawkErrant

replayloungehawk wrote: Yeah, I agree River. Makes no sense to me that they can beat Tennessee, Kenyucky, UCONN, Houston, @ Indiana (decent team) and then lose to the likes of the teams they have in WVU, UCF, and KState. And that KState team looked awful last night. Nowhere near the team they had last year and it was a team we are better than. But maybe we aren't. I don't know. I will say I remember thinking that the 2022 Championship team was not all that good and had a lot of players that disappeared it seemed but then they just put it all together. I thought it showed up against UNC but they came back in the 2nd half. This team could actually go far in the tourney, if they can make it out of the first two rounds where they will play teams that have proven to be difficult for them to beat. But who knows...I have no idea what team will show up night in and night out.

This team has no Remy Martin to return late in the season to help provide the offensive spark off the bench when needed. Remy earned that Midwest Regional Most Outstanding Player award.

It also does not have a stalwart post defender that can clean up any errors our perimeter defenders may make. Mario could gamble on steals because he had Darrell, Darnell & Sasha behind him. Hunter has a nice touch, good for the dubdub most nights, but he is the soft underbelly on defense. It would be different if he was hitting on his 3s. but he's not. His first 15 games he hit 54% from 3 (15-28). The last 9 games starting with the UCF game, he is just 10% (2-20) from 3P range.

Hunter's defensive shortcomings makes me appreciate BIG DAVE more and more.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
3 months 1 week ago #32212 by NotOstertag
K-State had a quick turnaround too....

I do think that K-State will always be more "up" for this rivalry game and that AFH is a BIG advantage, but our guys just looked very vulnerable last night.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot