Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

This team...

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 1 week ago #32191 by replayloungehawk
They could have won this game. This team has a tendency to play to the level of their competition. KState is NOT good. Not at all. And yet, we still allowed them to stay in the game. The 11-0 run when we were up by 11 was ridiculous. I just don't get it. Sweet 16. That's the best I hope for for this group.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
3 months 1 week ago #32194 by LKF_HAWK
Pathetic! To let the purps pull this out is downright pathetic. 1-4 on the road with three loses against mediocre to bad teams. And now we have to hear all the stupid purp fans..l

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 1 week ago #32195 by replayloungehawk
I'm just sitting here shaking my head. I don't understand them at all. The losses to teams they are clearly better than is inexcusable. I can't recall a KU team that frustrates me as much as this one does. Losing to good teams I get. Losing to teams you are clearly better than is ridiculous. I don't think this is the #4 team in the nation. Not when three of there losses are to subpar unranked teams. They do have some tough wins against some good competition but for some reason they can't play well against teams they are actually better than. This does not bode for the tournament. They will be ripe for an early round loss.

And yeah, the delusional KState fans will be running their mouths. 203 and 96 now and "we own the state" all over the place....what doofuses.

More
3 months 1 week ago #32197 by LKF_HAWK
Perry plays out of his freaking mind making all sorts of crazy shots. It’s like this every road game. This team lost to Okie St and was blown own by 20 at home. Furphy was going to have a bad game but Kevin McCullar missing FT’s, turning it over was horrible. This is broken record, and imagine when they get Houston and others on the road. It’s going to get ugly.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #32200 by HawkErrant
8 games left, 4 road games -- at TT, Norman, Waco and Houston.

The way these guys are playing this year we will be lucky to see KU finish 10-8 in conference, as I do not see them winning another road game and somebody is going to trip us up in The Phog. Most years I would say "naw" to the latter, but this is not most years.

And I will not be surprised if they lose the ground gained on UK this year and end the season 5 back -- as they started -- or worse, despite having gained 3 wins on them thru Sunday already.

We can beat anybody, and we can lose to anybody.

Jekyll-Hyde, folks -- and we really, really need them to get more Jekyll HYDE!!! out there...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by HawkErrant.

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #32202 by LKF_HAWK
HE if the the scenario plays out as stated above 9-9 is going to be their league record 8-1 H, 1-8 R. This team’s shortcomings are down to recruiting, 1 guard can play ball screen D, no depth, and dearth of 3pt shooting. Timberlake is a bust in terms of what he is supposed to bring, Jackson and McDowell have regressed. Braun is the serviceable. HCBS should not be above critique for this team’s structural issues. It’s pathetic that Coach says “even all that we were still there”.. that is coach speak for moral victory, that is not what Kansas does. It’s W/L. This team is soft and they don’t handle adversity on the road. Perry a 5ft nothing guard beats Hunter for an offensive board, Kmac 1-5 FT, horrible TO’s, couldn’t make anything. KJ and DH did what they could. Furphy, freshman are still freshman. Having nothing on the bench and , 3-15 3pts and piss poor rebounding. Tang 11-0 in OT games, regression to the mean will happen , but how annoying is that to watch a mediocre to bad team flat out steal it because KU is soft
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by LKF_HAWK.

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 months 1 week ago #32207 by replayloungehawk
LKF and HE, despite my utter lack for words at the way they played last night, I will say this was a hard hard game for them to win. They were coming off a days rest basically from beating the #4 team in the nation. And they did so in handy fashion. What I don't get is how they looked so good Saturday and so awful Monday. I told my wife "this team plays to the level of their competition." I just don't understand why they can't be consistent.

Regarding the recruiting and all that. It was a huge blow actually losing Morris. I didn't realize it then but I do now. Also, I think it'd have been better to just play Zac this year and have Parker be his backup. You are correct, Timberlake is a complete bust. McDowell looked great in Maui and then just never got playing time and yes, he's regressed.

Anyway, I've woken up in a better mood today. I have a plan I'm going to follow the rest of this season with this team. They have to figure some things out and I don't know that they will. So I'm holding no high expectations and I'm going to limit my stress with them...

More
3 months 1 week ago #32215 by NotOstertag
Still can't buy the quick turnaround excuse as K-State, and they lost a close one at OSU, so I'm sure that between a close game and travel, they weren't any more rested up than we were.

Two of our losses are "ok" in my book. Marquette on a neutral floor with NO rest is not a bad loss at all. They're a good team and that loss shouldn't hurt our resume. Ditto, but to a slightly lesser extent, with ISU. It's ALWAYS tough to win in Ames and they're a legit top 25 team who will make the tournament. No issues there.

To lose, however at WVU (one of WVU's 3 conference wins this year, for a team that's not going to the tournament), UCF (not much better lost to STETSON at home, which puts us in THAT company), and now K-State in an off year...not really excusable.

And with Tech, OU, Baylor and Houston still on the list of road games, we're in deep trouble.

Seems that every few years when we have a less-than-great team, the players will pull together and have a "players only" meeting that somehow gets things back on track. Is that something that could save this season?

If not, I think it's optimistic that we could win 1 road game out of the final 4, which would be 5-3 for the rest of the season and we'd wind up at 11-7. That's the OPTIMISTIC[/u] view.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
3 months 1 week ago #32219 by LKF_HAWK
Thank goodness for this board. I agree that it’s best to lower expectations, but not easy given the tremendous track record of HCBS and the fact this team can beat anybody. Stinks losing to the dang grapes in anything but they really revel in knocking us down in Hoops. Coffee doesn’t taste as good this morning.