Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

We must ask again - who is running the asylum?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #3099 by HawkErrant
No Man Land - KU players don't like zone

I use the asylum analog because it seems to fit, given Graham's comments, which seem somewhat delusional.

We discussed earlier (with the "Starting 4" consensus of wanting LL behind them, and HCBS seemingly agreeing) who was in charge this year, and now we get new fuel for the fire re: that question with this article. Interesting times in AFH.

Reminds me a little of the old Edgar Allan Poe story...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3101 by Wheatstate Gal
Delusional? Sounds like......

Holy smoke, do you suppose the game tapes show a different defensive effort success than TV does?

My goodness. I've never heard of the "coaching by consensus," model.

:huh:

More
8 years 2 months ago #3103 by NotOstertag
I think people are reading waaaaay too much into these comments.

Let's face it, the media takes about 1 paragraph of off-the-cuff Self comments and then spins them into half a dozen stories that they put out over the course of a week.

Working in reverse order, I'll start with this one. Is it possible that Self, during a timeout, conducted a poll to see what kind of defesne the guys wanted to play? I doubt it. With 2 minutes to "instruct" guys, there's not much time to debate issues, much less hold the Iowa Caucuses. I'm guessing that HCBS knows ahead of time that the guys prefer to play man-to-man. I'm sure that they've expressed this individually sometime over the 100s of hours he's spent with each of them since the season started. So knowing this, would you think that it's possible instead that in the huddle, HCBS simply asked, "are you guys going to stay in front of your man, or are you going to make me go zone?" Motivated properly, I'm sure the guys replied, "we got it coach" expecting that they'd be able to do a better job. After going back in and NOT improving, HCBS then switched defences. That's hardly letting the lunatics run the asylum.

Now, let's move back to the previous comments about Mason, Graham, Selden, and Ellis allegedly dictating the roster to HCBS. First, let's look at what he actually said:

“I know what our players that play the majority of the minutes feel the most comfortable with. We’ve had open dialogue about that

This could be read (as many did here), "Frank, Devonte, Perry and Wayne told me that they want to play with Landon, so I said OK."

Do you really believe for even a moment that a HOF coach is going to take orders from 4 kids on the team? I don't. I DO, however, believe that in the hundreds of hours that they spend together, it's clear who's most comfortable playing with whom. In a basketball sense, that comes down to knowing who's going to be where. It likely manifests itself pretty clearly when a guy is where he's supposed to be for a screen, or when a pass ISN'T flying out of bounds when a guy cuts the wrong way.

Nevertheless, if you read the rest of the quote, Self explains it further:

“I know that it isn’t sometimes the most popular thing to do with some people or some fans who feel like they understand.[/u] The reality is it’s not about the individuals. It’s about who plays best with those individuals. That’s basically where we were coming from. I felt experience the last two games gave us the best chance to win.”

Here's how I read that: "Attention arm-chair coaches: this is a TEAM sport where individuals need to be combined to create something stronger that the sum of their parts. Based on the comfort level of certain combinations, I feel that the lineup I choose gels together in a way that gives us a better chance of winning than just putting 5 talented individuals in together who haven't yet gelled."

Is that a permanent solution? Of course not. But again, I defer to the fact that despite what we see for 80 minutes a week, the coaching staff and the team know more about each other than any of us will ever know. So whether there's more to Svi's "funk" or Mickleson's "high ankle sprain" is a coverup for some greater conspiracy I'm confident in the knowledge that a couple of sentences from a press conference isn't necessarily a good indicator of what's really happening behind the curtain.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling, gorillahawk, rainyhawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3112 by konza63
In your attempt to present the other side of this question (a decent argument, I'm just not fully buying it), didn't you leave out the most important comment that Self made?

“The way we were doing it, it wasn’t really working ... we decided, or I decided we were going to try to play as much as we could with four the last two games,”

Bedore is a very respected, long-in-the-tooth beat writer who follows a pretty vanilla, straight line. (He's not Whitlock or even Keegan, and I've never seen him "spin" anything because he doesn't push agendas.) In this instance, he clearly appeared to be catching Self saying that the "core four" had made it clear who they felt should be playing with them. He first said "we decided," then self-corrected that to "I decided..."

There were some other comments that Newell pulled out during that 24-hour period that further punctuated the idea above--the one Bedore was putting forth.

Bottom line: this is a weird year vis-a-vis Self, the players, and the fans. We won over UK, and I've celebrated that in an effort to move on and stay positive. But I can't say I agree with you in your effort to revise recent history (or interpretations thereof) on this one. You may be right, and Bedore, Newell, and many others may be wrong. But at the end of the day, you've merely presented an alternate hypothesis and chosen to believe what you want to believe. Just like the others. That's not a knock on you, and really, as long as KU can continue to show that it's gotten its act back together, we may look back at last week in a month or two from now and laugh it off. I hope so, because that will mean that whatever Self and the team chose to do (with the former firmly in command or taking input from his "core" players more than he might have in the past) wound up working.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3113 by NotOstertag
So in your quote: who is the "we" in the "we decided, or I decided" part of the statement? Is the "gang of 4", or "the team as a whole" or "the coaching staff".

I guess we'll just disagree on this, but I'm guessing that the "team" (in the universal sense, including staff, players and HCBS) are a lot closer than we can know. And just like as a dad I have a lot of "final say" in how my family does things, I also work WITH my spouse, kids and the dog. There are times where I need to be a dictator, and there are times where multiple people (and the dog) get some input into the final decision.

In the area of "team chemistry" and the elusive element of "gelling" it's really not something that even CAN be dictated. Seeing as none of us (including the sportswriters) were in those meetings, we're all working off the same very narrow statement, and projecting quite a bit from it.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #3115 by konza63
It could also be more of a "middle truth" area, for all we know. One in which Self is actually opening up a bit more, taking more player input rather than just digging in on his own decisions or impulses. (Which would be a better outcome than just turning over the decisions to others, which I agree is too extreme of a depiction)

Who knows? But let's just hope that whatever buttons he has to push to have the team reach its fullest potential, he finds those and hits them in the right way at precisely the right time. He's got a lot of success under his belt, and this fan (along with you) very much wants him to do well. (Stating the obvious!)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #3117 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: I think people are reading waaaaay too much into these comments.

Perhaps, and in all reality :pinch:, probably.

But I accomplished my objective with my post, and be honest -- how many times am I going to be able to tie that absolutely great song from The Alan Parsons Project into a discussion of KU hoops? :woohoo: I saw the opening and took the shot!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3118 by konza63
...since you brought it up.

If it turns out that Self is basing his rotation decisions primarily around who our "core four" are "most comfortable with" (which he alluded to and you brought up)--as opposed to going with the personnel that he ultimately believes, if they were to reach their upside, would provide KU with the best chance to make the deepest possible run come March-April--then I would have major issues with that. And I believe a huge chunk of our fan base would, too. (I'm not talking about the ranters and ravers who scream about everything, I'm talking about seasoned, sober, objective fans who are pretty darn knowledgeable about the game of basketball.)

Why? Because, first of all, it would signal an abdication of a pivotal role of Self and his staff, which is to coach them up. That is, to help those with the most potential to contribute to the team's success do so. And in my mind, that also means garnering sufficient playing time to gain experience, play through mistakes without immediately getting the hook, and gel with the squad. (How can you gel with the core players, and thereby make them more comfortable, if you rarely see the floor? And why, pray tell, are the core four more comfortable with Jamari--who after four years still can't set a legal screen, box out, hit a bunny, or avoid turnovers--than the young guys, who naturally are going to take some time to work things out?)

It also would signal that he and the staff are prone to fall back to comfort zones, even in the non-conference portion of the schedule, instead of taking a few short-term risks (with player development, particularly with Bragg and Diallo, given Jamari's erratic play and Landon's limitations). Short-term risks in favor of long-term gains...as in, KU being a much stronger team and more formidable "out" come tourney time.

And lastly, it would signal a major double-standard, in that the "core four" are not without their issues on the court, either. Many on here have correctly pointed to the mistakes they are prone to make, yet with a basically unbound leash that allows them to continue on the court while the guys who they are "less comfortable" playing with do not enjoy such a luxury.

I also think Self should never have gone public with that information--that he relied on the core four to finalize his rotation decisions. It's just asking for trouble, both with the media and fan base but also within the team, because it seems to indicate that there is a "sub-group" or clique that has Self's ear more than the others. It suggests some favoritism which might, if it weren't in the public eye, be completely warranted (based on what he's seeing 24/7/365), yet when made public just doesn't do anyone any good.

Hopefully this won't be seen as some sort of contentious pillow fight between your perspective and mine, and those who tend to line up on one side or the other. I view it as a healthy thing to talk about, given the "interesting" developments this season and the fact that the UK game may have merely swept the above issues under the table (i.e., the rotation issues, the question of playing the young guys more versus going with the upperclassmen, short-term risk vs. long-term gain, etc.).

It'll be interesting to see it all play out... :dry:

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #3119 by HawkErrant
Your clarity of vision and finely sculpted commentary are greatly appreciated, Konza. Thanks for the thought provoking prose.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3123 by LasJayhawk
I just assume it is disinformation till proved otherwise.

Maybe the grapes won't practice against it, and we play it 38 min.

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by LasJayhawk.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3125 by Senex68
Interesting discussion, but I think that Self is doing what every good manager does when dealing with conflict. He identifies the issue or issues, determines the solution and then finds a way to make the conflicted 'subordinates' or in this case, the team, come to believe that they provided the solution, when in fact, they had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Self simply did what he was going to do, and gave credit to his 'core 4.' He'll do whatever he wants, and continue to stroke his players. What is interesting is how little self awareness these guys appear to have.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #3127 by HawkErrant
Good points, Senex, very plausible. If correct about the method to his actions, I do think that Konza's point about keeping such things sub rosa makes a lot of sense. It brings to my mind the aphorism about it being best not knowing how the sausage is made.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3152 by NotOstertag
My initial goal here was to introduce an alternative narrative to the "I can't believe Self has abdicated control of the team over to four key players" refrain that had become popular lately. Totally appreciate Konza's points, Senex's well reasoned alternative, and HE's DJ skills.

I think we all know/agree that we operate in a bit of an information vacuum. How many times do we hear about injuries or other issues after the season, or at least long after the effects have been viewed in games? Let's also remember that these kids also have personal issues that are common to kids in their late teens: substance abuse issues, mental health issues, non-sports related physical issues, emotional issues...etc, etc.

Take Svi: touted as a great recruit, and he's more than halfway through his 2nd year and not producing consistently. There's no doubt that he DID produce playing internationally before he came to KU, and he HAS shown flashes of potential. But who knows, maybe he's just not happy being 10,000 miles from home and it's effecting him on the court. In the end, not everything IS our business, and these kids deserve some privacy.

Anyway, looking forward to tonight and hoping that we show the kind of fire we had in the 1st half of the year and vs. OU and UK. We're not where we'd like to be record-wise, but we still control our own destiny.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #3156 by konza63
Good stuff, and I hope you know (you'd better!) that your insightful, well-articulated perspectives are very much appreciated.

Onward and upward, for sure.

PS: Another provocative "food for thought" piece just posted (haha), but not grounded in an information vacuum--grounded, instead, in concrete data.

Thanks again.

The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3157 by konza63
Given that this is a fan board, and fans love to not only comment on what they see on the court, but read the coach's comments and media pieces, read between the lines, practice pop psychology and cultural anthropology, and so forth...we need a good term for the "kremlinology-like" work that we all do.

Oreadology? (Practiced by oreadologists)

Phogology (Practiced by phogologists)

Hmmm...

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #3158 by HawkErrant
Stand down, Condor, you are raising your profile. Today's keyword is "Discretion". :lol:

More
8 years 2 months ago #3162 by NotOstertag
something to do with "Phog"....it obscures the truth and it's out job to find these truths within its misty haze.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #3164 by konza63
Me likes...

(We need a "thumbs-up" emojicon for the board!)