Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Let's squish some grapes

• LKF_HAWK
  • LKF_HAWK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #3067 by LKF_HAWK
My wine collection is running a bit low, we need to squish some more grapes. I hear them grapes from Mahanttan taste best after being throughly stomped and squished.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #3077 by NotOstertag
This game should be very telling. After coming off the high of beating OU in that epic game, the guys went on a 4 game skid..(didn't play well in the wins vs. TCU and Texas despite getting the W).

We looked "pretty good" vs. KenYucky, but had Selden not had a career night, that game could have gone south very quickly as well.

So the KSU game should be an indicator of the trajectory of the team. The computers all say a 10 point win or higher for KU. If this game is close, then I think we have a lot to worry about. If we run them out of the gym from the opening tip, then we have hope that we've turned a corner.

Things I'll be watching:
> Will Selden play with the same intensity? While I don't expect 33 points (but would take them) will he continue to drive and seek contact in the paint? Driving keeps the defense honest which will result in more open 3 looks.

> Perimeter defense. KSU doesn't have Buddy Hield, but will Frank or Devonte be able to stay in front of their man, or will we have to resort to the triangle-and-two nonsense? Read the scouting report guys.

>Free throws: Not only did we miss a ton on Saturday, we missed them at clutch times. Hoping that was an anomaly and not a real issue. Really inexplicable on Saturday. Hope it was just "one of those days."

> Bench: a big blowout gets more minutes for Bragg and Diallo, and might get Svi in the game. With the conference as tough as it is this year, we're not going to have a lot of opportunities to get guys off the bench and allow them to make mistakes. If we get a blowout going early, it would be nice to see everyone get some minutes.

Of course, if it's a 5 point margin with under 10 to play, all of this goes out the window, and I'll be concerned that we're running out of season to correct anything.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 2 months ago #3086 by porthawk
That's some great analysis, NotO. How they react coming off the high of the UK win is very important. Here's lookin' to that 10+ point win!
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #3100 by HawkErrant
www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12...article57749618.html

He "started in 20 of 21 games, averaging 9.9 points and 2.9 assists. He is the team’s top ball-handler and passer, as well as a quality shooter."

No update since this article yesterday.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"