Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Some more on Wayne (including game highlights from ESPN)

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #2990 by porthawk
Wayne Selden Jr., Kansas keeping cool in clutch situations (ESPN)
espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation...in-clutch-situations

And from a commenter on KUsports.com
- lots of good analysis here (imho), it's interesting that he notes that Wayne's footwork is methodical and slow. I happen to agree with that.

Standing Ovation Mr. Selden! Great Game! You definitely put Kansas on your back.

Some Food For Thought Mr. Selden:

I would love to see Self utilize Selden in the half post to take advantage of those "Melo" moves. I don't think you can do it all the time, but if Bragg and Ellis are in the game together and Bragg can stretch the D at the Free Throw line extended and Ellis is opposite block...I think that could create "Space" for Wayne Selden.

The reason I mention this is because Selden isn't the quickest player out there. His foot speed is methodical and slow (He's like Paul Pierce without the technical footwork). I would love to see Selden get more involved in the offense and get more involved in the game. Selden only had 3 rebounds and 0 assists in 44 minutes of play. 0 assists? I love the scoring, but he needs to impact the game in other ways as well.

If Selden could work that half post when the "Space" allows it I think Selden could be a better distributor by kicking to Bragg up top at the FT Line or Ellis down low or skipping to Graham, Mason, or Greene opposite wing for open jumper.

Because of Selden's efficiency shooting the basketball this season, his shooting would open up his game in the half post despite his lack of foot speed. I think Selden would flourish in this role and it would prevent him from trying to create with the dribble. It allows him to create a little bit closer to the basket. I wish Self would have utilized this with Wiggins and Oubre as well, but I think Selden would benefit the most from this opportunity. I think Kansas would benefit greatly by utilizing Selden in this manner.

Paul Pierce, please take a 3 week sabbatical and come back to Kansas and teach Selden your footwork.

www2.kusports.com/news/2016/jan/30/extra...-helps-ku-win-battl/
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by porthawk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.