Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Anyone else think Bilas is losing his edge?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2967 by HawkErrant
Jay is my all time favorite commentator for MCBB, but in yesterday's game I felt he was uncharacteristically off with several of his comments.

The biggest was his belief that the OT OOB that the refs changed to off UK after review was not the right call. I could excuse it since he does not have a big screen TV at his side to clearly see that Murray had his hand completely between the ball and Wayne's hand. Still, his obstinacy seemed uncharacteristic in this situation.

There was also the play were Murray cleanly blocked a driving Selden. Bilas was effusive about it, but made no mention of the fact that while Murray clearly got all ball, Labissiere clearly got all Selden with a body slam, which should have led to a foul being called.

I know there were others, those are just the two most salient to me.

Am I alone in this assessment?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Correct players' names

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #2968 by LasJayhawk
I noticed it too. Maybe an off night, maybe he may be needing glasses and hasn't admitted it yet.

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
8 years 2 months ago #2970 by Senex68
He's always been strongly opinionated. The reason we're noticing it is familiarity. For years he did very few KU games, but now he's doing more, and as a result, we're seeing and hearing more of him. Ergo, we are noticing his quirks and his mistakes. He's very smart, very astute, but he's not perfect. And, after all, he's still a Dukie.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Socalhawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #2973 by konza63
I threw a "thank you" your way for that closing line. Bingo! B)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #2975 by Bayhawk
RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #2976 by LasJayhawk
Breaking news. Do to the upset over Jay's call of the KU UK game, Dookie V will do all remaining Kansas games.
ESPN listening to the board

:)

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #2978 by HawkErrant
I'm not at all upset re: his calling of the game. I was merely noting what I thought were some discrepancies from his normally excellent and even handed game calling, such as the games (KU or otherwise) I have had the pleasure of experiencing in the past.

Just as I would not call for the removal of HCBS despite my inability to understand his close-held game plan, Bilas is always my preferred commentator. With the current group of talking heads in the media, I do not anticipate that changing any time in the near future.

I was exceedingly pleased to note that OU and LSU fans were subjected to the "Vital Mushberging" effect instead of us. I wuold be so bold as to state that the discovery of those assignments made my day before Saturday's game.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #2980 by konza63
Dan Shulman was such a welcome relief from the likes of Musberger and Dave Armstrong. He is rock-solid.

And yes, going all the way back to the T-Rob mega-block on Pressey, Bilas really seems to take the decibel level up a notch with calls that he thinks went KU's way. Last night was more of that.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #2991 by hairyhawk
I agree that he was wrong on both calls. I do not know if that is more or less than normal. I know he is willing to state his opinion when he disagrees with the ref. I much prefer that, even when wrong, to the guys that say it was great call by the ref when it was an obvious bad call.

• Sieverling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 2 months ago #2994 by Sieverling
RC

Hic manebimus optime

More
8 years 2 months ago #3000 by LasJayhawk
But Jay on a bad day is so much better than what we get most of the time

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3003 by konza63
In the color role, Fran used to be decent, but then I think the combo of KU winning so much and his son being at OU made him start to root on air for our foes. Not all the time but at least 70-30.

As for play by play, Shulman towers over the others.

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3008 by porthawk
I also really like Sean McDonough a lot as a play-by-play guy. I felt that he and Bilas made a great combo.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #3010 by HawkErrant
I also like to see the talking heads calling the refs out when they think the ref blew a call, whether by omission or commission. I abhor the "yes men"! The thing that struck me was that Bilas and I are usually -- not 100%, but usually -- in agreement. Saturday we were not, which was interesting to me.

Las, no worries, mate!

More
8 years 2 months ago #3023 by MrJayhawk

HawkErrant wrote: Jay is my all time favorite commentator for MCBB, but in yesterday's game I felt he was uncharacteristically off with several of his comments.

The biggest was his belief that the OT OOB that the refs changed to off UK after review was not the right call. I could excuse it since he does not have a big screen TV at his side to clearly see that Murray had his hand completely between the ball and Wayne's hand. Still, his obstinacy seemed uncharacteristic in this situation.

My take on that call was it appeared from the replay it was simultaneous touching by both, and the alternate posession would kick in which was our turn. I dont recall the setting on the possession arrow after that so I may be mistaken.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #3027 by HawkErrant

MrJayhawk wrote: My take on that call was it appeared from the replay it was simultaneous touching by both, and the alternate posession would kick in which was our turn. I dont recall the setting on the possession arrow after that so I may be mistaken.

It was simultaneous for a split-second, but not through the players' full contact with the ball. My father-in-law missed the game, so we watched the recording yesterday on our 55 inch HDTV. When we got to that play I reviewed it several times, full speed and slow motion, and it only confirmed what I saw during the live broadcast. The sequence was Wayne's fingertips touch the ball, then Murray's hand slips in between the ball and Selden's hand (creating a split-second simultaneous touch), then the ball goes out of bounds after Murray's hand has completely sealed off Wayne's, last touch Murray. The refs got it right.

Love the big screen at home for sports.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3033 by hairyhawk
I saw Murray's hand between Wayne's and the ball. I thought it pretty easy.

More
8 years 2 months ago #3034 by Bayhawk
As did I,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet