Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

I'll say this about Calipari...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2953 by konza63
I've been tough on him over the years, and I believe he's earned that. (See yesterday's thread on why many on this board have issues with him)

But in certain instances, you have to suck it up and call a spade a spade. I watched multiple pressers of Calipari before and after the KU game (at Lexington and then in Lawrence). I also read multiple articles on him in the run-up to the game. And in each and every one, the guy was absolutely effusive in his praise for all things KU and Kansas: The program, the history, the Fieldhouse, the fans, the college, the campus, the atmosphere, the basketball excellence, and so on and so forth. You name it, and the guy was objectively one of the most complimentary opposing coaches toward all things Jayhawk that I can ever recall. All the more so given the stakes in this one (head-to-head recruiting, top bluebloods, bragging rights, season boost, etc.).

I still don't like the way he runs things, and I won't forget how he slinked away from two programs with vacated tourney runs. But I will openly admit that the guy took some of the heat off of this fan's critiques of the coach and man himself. It's patently obvious that his time at KU back in the Larry Brown days left a mark on him...and that this first visit since those days rekindled all of that and made him recognize just how much the program and atmosphere have grown since the mid-80s. That's a testament to KU (and Williams/Self), its fans, and...yes...to Coach Calipari as well, for being so open, honest, and kind in his praise. It was genuine, and this fan appreciated that.

PS: I'm glad we whooped 'em! :evil:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #2955 by Hawknmo
"But in certain instances, you have to suck it up and call a spade a spade."

Or....you could...call a squid a squid.

All his transgressions aside I will say the squid has never disrespected KU, AFH or anything to do with our beloved program.

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #2963 by HawkErrant
How about "A silver tongued devil is still a devil"? B)

"Nuff said!" - Stan Lee
EXCELSIOR!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #2966 by LasJayhawk
Or maybe his wife is still a KU fan, and he doesn't want to sleep on the couch for the next 6 months. :)

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2985 by konza63
Anyone who competes with us in the most visceral of ways, yet comes to our cathedral and carries himself with complete class and reverence, gains a little respect with me.

As compared with, say, that cretin Billy Tubbs (back in the day), or even Norm Stewart, who famously wouldn't allow the Misery bus to stop once on the Kansas side because he didn't want to violate his rule of "never spending a dime in the state of Kansas."

Norm ultimately got a rocking chair from us (which was better than his own school treated him), so throwing a deserved bone to Calipari in this instance isn't so egregious.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.