Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Aussie star Johnny Furphy commits to KU for 2023-24 season

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
9 months 6 days ago #31337 by HawkErrant
Woo-Hoo!

247sports.com/college/kansas/article/col...s-of-2023-213552772/

Marcus Who?

Lace ‘em up and Rock Chalk, baybee!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
9 months 6 days ago - 9 months 6 days ago #31339 by hoshi
OK, I grew up in Australia and am a dual citizen. Excited to welcome Johnny to Lawrence and KU. I plan to contact the coaches and admin to see if we can host the new Aussie and what restrictions I need to comply with. I even have a bottle of Vegemite to offer him and a freezer with some Australian meat pies if he gets homesick. I have a daughter and her family here in Lawrence that spent 6 years Down Under and just got back two days ago from a one month visit. Excited to have our 3rd Aussie BB player at KU. The first was a very good women's team member who played 3-4 years but about 20+ years ago. There was also a Men's team player who played sparingly for one year then transferred. It was during the Roy Williams era. Can't remember either of their names.

oi oi oi

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
Last Edit: 9 months 6 days ago by hoshi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, murphyslaw

More
9 months 6 days ago #31340 by hoshi
Nick Proud played a number of games in the 1993/4 season and the had a mid-season major knee injury and later transferred. He did end up playing pro-ball in Australia.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, boulderhawk

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
9 months 2 days ago - 9 months 2 days ago #31367 by HawkErrant
Sunday HCBS spoke with Greg Gurley regarding Johnny Furphy. Below are JayhawkSlant’s Shay Wildeboor’s highlights of the interview.

If you’d like to listen to the interview instead (or in addition, as we seldom get too much KU hoops stuff!B)), here’s the link (with thanks to konza63 for finding this!)

SHAY’S HIGHLIGHTS

-- Self said he's 6-foot-7 and has great bounce. In fact, Self described it as a "scary good bounce" off one and has a good jumper off two.

-- Physically, Self said he's got to get stronger. He added that a lot of that will be with age, but also in the weight room. Self, with a smile on his face, said Ramsey (Director -- Sports performance) will make Furphy one of his pet projects.

-- Self, also with some excitement in his voice, said if Furphy gets a little stronger, he's a cross between Svi and Christian Braun. (Emphasis mine - HE)

"He's good and he can shoot it," said Self. "And he's got bounce."

-- Moving on, Self also said that Furphy is one of those aggressive guys that plays to his athletic ability.

"I'm really excited about him," said Self. "We thought we were a player short. Not only in numbers, but we've got a possibility of redshirting a guy or two. That still only puts eight or nine guys that are available, and then you have injuries to deal with and everything."

-- It sounds like Self expects Furphy to make an immediate impact this season.

"I see this guy impacting us and playing a lot of minutes right off the bat," said Self.

-- When asked about an arrival date, Self said that Furphy will arrive when school starts. He mentioned that school starts on the 21st and the players can arrive the weekend before the start of school.

-- Finally, Self said that Johnny is going to be behind, but added that he absolutely knows how to play.

"He's a great cutter and they've done a great job with him there at the Centre of Excellence, where he's been," said Self. "If you look at some of the Assuies, there have been some guys, I think four first-round draft picks in the last two years. Josh Giddey being the headliner and of course, the guy at Duke, (Tyrese) Proctor, is obviously from Australia as well. Those people over there feel that he (Furphy) has the same potential as those type of guys."

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 9 months 2 days ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, boulderhawk, porthawk, murphyslaw

More
8 months 3 weeks ago - 8 months 3 weeks ago #31391 by hoshi
The KU woman BB player who was an Aussie was Suzi Raymant, She was a 2/3 and played in the 1990s. According to Paul Buskirk, he keeps in touch with her.

Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by hoshi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, boulderhawk, murphyslaw

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #31393 by hoshi
You might be interested in seeing a game played in Australia, called netball. It has similarities to Naismith's original rules of BB. My 6' daughter took up the game when she and her family moved to Sydney for 5+years. She enjoyed playing the game.
<
>
See if you can figure out the rules? No dribbling, no contact, no backboard.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, boulderhawk, newtonhawk

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #31414 by hoshi

The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk