Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Calipari's comments on Bragg vs. Jamari or Lucas

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2951 by konza63
We've all weighed in with our various opinions of those three players, but it's really telling when a highly successful coach inadvertently (?) wades into the discussion by revealing his team's game plan. In this instance, we've been given a gift, and I hope Coach Self was listening.

In this video, which is actually quite interesting all the way through, I would direct you to cue up the part from 4:37-4:55:

www.ukathletics.com/video/56ad882ee4b09e5c71fbfc8b

In response to a question about how they shut down Perry Ellis, here was Cal's response:

"We were playing off of a couple guys.* The problem is then Carlton Bragg went in and we were saying you have to play him, and we played off of him...and he made three jumpers. You're like 'Guys, you have to play him like you play Perry Ellis. You gotta play him."

* [That's coach-speak for not worrying about guarding Jamari and Lucas tight, not worrying about them as a scoring threat]

Fascinating...and telling. And for those who think that Jamari and Lucas are equal as liabilities to our upside, I would submit that at least one of them (Lucas) can play fairly consistent defense and clog up the lane. I don't want him in there tons of minutes, but he serves a role and doesn't make tons of mistakes in said role.

Bottom line:

Free Bragg. Free Diallo. Coach 'em up.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.