Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Dyslexic ESPN statistician?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #2932 by HawkErrant
Last night during the second half I noticed a pop up factoid that stated that Kentucky had outscored KU X to Y over the past Z minutes. Since KU had retaken the lead, I was pretty sure that the stat guy had confused KU and UK.

This afternoon my F-i-L and I are watching the recording (he missed the game yesterday) and I noticed at the start that ESPN was reporting that even with the just ended OU win over LSU, the SEC led the Big 12 4-3 in the Challenge. That obviously should have been the exact opposite, B12 4 SEC 3, with the final tally being B12 7, SEC 3.

Just a side observation. Wonder if the QC folks with ESPN were taking note?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #2933 by HawkErrant
With as little over 6:00 to go in H1. No notice that this was a correction of their earlier error, just reporting the correct status of the Challenge at that point.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #2938 by Bayhawk
Chalked it up to Eastcoast Sports Programming Network idiocracy. I listen to KUathleticsleanplayer.com on headphones and watch the wide screen with a two second delay. I actually prefer it as I get a little warning to look for something great, :cheer: or look away, :dry:

--RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #2941 by porthawk
HE, I noticed the same thing about the outscoring. I figured it had to be a mistake (if my eyes weren't deceiving me), but I don't have DVR so I couldn't check.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #2946 by konza63
My son and I saw that scoring disparity stat show up too, and we were like "WHAT???"

I think they literally got the teams turned around, and it was KU that had pulled off the big swing. But even that left us perplexed, because KU had never gotten down by more than 5-7 (if memory serves), and we never pulled away...so the notion of even a double-digit KU swing would've have been off.

Maybe the stat guys at ESPN need to lay off the juice?

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #2948 by Bayhawk
RC

-- Jules Michelet

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #2959 by HawkErrant
Finished watching the recording and found the subject error.

3:43 H1. score KU 33 UK 29
ESPN pop up shows
UK outscored KU 25-14 since Ellis sat down

Ellis sat down at 14:07, score KU 10 UK 13
From 14:07 to 3:43,
KU outscored UK 23-16 while Ellis sat.

BL - the ESPN stats person made two errors, who scored more and how much since Ellis.

As reported, it showed how KU was missing Perry.

The reality was that KU was doing okay up to then while Perry sat.

Bad job all around.

And makes the UK 17-6 run to finish H1 even more painful for KU fans.

More
8 years 2 months ago #2960 by Bayhawk
Aaaaa, . . . just one more thing. ;) . . .

Honestly, it's all so bad nowadays, as though the network script was written before the game.

RC

-- Jules Michelet

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #2962 by HawkErrant
"Thank you, sir, you've been very helpful." ;)