Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Selfisms

• Hawknmo
  • Hawknmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #2930 by Hawknmo
“Junk defense”, “fools gold”, “house money”’ “I might be wrong, but”…all “Selfisms” we have gotten used to hearing. But is it possible, especially with the first two, that they are just a reflection of a guy who sometimes just doesn’t value the same things we as fans do? As I have stated many times I am not calling for the head of our coach. But am I willing to follow him off the cliff no matter what? Uh..no. He will be in the hall of fame at some point and rightly so, but he has repeatedly proven he can be stubborn to a fault. His unwillingness to change styles, offense or defense, has cost his teams wins IMHO. He wants, he lives for, and is determined to have a team that plays aggressive, help, man to man D and hi-lo O. I really believe he feels a team that can do that consistently can win a huge majority of their games. He is correct. But history is a cruel “female dog” sometimes. Anybody remember how many games the 65-66 Hawks won? Not many, but everybody remembers Jo Jo “might” have stepped on the sideline. 23 is the answer with only one loss in the Big 8. Anyone remember how many games the 96-97 ( greatest team Ive seen since I was alive) won? More I am sure, but everyone remembers freakin Miles Simon and his hoodlums beat three number ones. That number was 34 with one loss to the slavers. Both very good teams but history and most people only remember the loss. IMHO though this coach could care less about how anyone remembers individual teams but does care about the legacy he leaves as an overall great coach. I think for most of us that’s hard to accept. But as long as as he remains in charge we just have to get used to it. Thankfully, last night he somewhat gave in to what he generally considers a gimmick. It worked but I don’t believe he’s all that pleased in having to resort to it.

First and foremost he has good guards, not great ones. We have seen what most people consider great guards a couple of times this year and we have not fared so well in m2m. Clearly, playing a zone against any guard at least creates a different set of choices and issues for any player. I don’t think Ulis was overwhelmed by a triangle and two, but it obviously presented him with more issues than beating Frank or Devonte to the paint. OSUs Evans lit us up for 22 points and 8 assists. Against Baylor (a “decent” zone team) he averaged 9 points in two games. Coincidence? I for one am just happy HCBS felt he was out of options. I just wish he could have felt that way in Stillwater.

This was the Selden I thought was returning from Korea. The leadership, the intensity and most importantly the desire to be the“go to guy”’ is what I thought we might see all year. Hopefully, winning this game against this team on this stage will allow him to continue to be THAT guy. Could not be happier for Wayne.

Perry as it seems in most games against real competition faded. No dunks. Airballing a free throw. Missing important FTs. Real lack of leadership. He is all that college athletics is supposed be, great kid, excellent student and model citizen. He needs some attitude. I just don’t think its in him.

I was shocked to see that Frank only had 3 TOs. It seemed he had 10. I was really hoping this could be a breakout game for him but he was just OK. Clearly, getting some help from the zone was what he needed. He hit a huge three but beyond that was almost a liability.

Devonte was again pretty good. Did all the right things but just wasn’t the “spark” this team continues to need. I think being an underclassman still is in his head. I believe that “spark” is in him, he might just need to get over being a sophomore.

I am finished talking about Lucas.

Diallo and Bragg were contributors for sure. But again, in a tight game HCBS decides to go with experience over talent. This could be an absolute microcosm of what too often happens in March games with this coach.

So NOW we learn Hunter has an injury? Something smells there.

Long post I know. But this was such a big win for this team and this coach. I just hope he learned as much about himself and the game as the players did. Obviously, that is not to say I have anywhere near the basketball IQ of HCBS but I do think even the brightest of us can learn something new every day.

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 3 months ago #2934 by Senex68
Nice post. Pretty accurate analysis of Self and his approach to coaching. He has an 'ideology,' and is very resistant to tweaking it, even when it proves to be wrong. If he has the players to execute his offensive philosophy and defense philosophy, we are always in the hunt for a title. But injuries and the simple reality that sometimes other teams and other players are better then we are, even if it's only one game.

This team is profoundly flawed. We have the talent at the 5 to do what Self wants, but that talent is not accompanied by the ability to execute. I've been in New England since 1978, and have had the opportunity to observe the Patriots repeated efforts to 'develop' talented wide-outs into impact players with very little success. The reason is that Belichick's offense approach is simply too complex for most guys who have depended on talent for their entire careers, without addressing the 'mental' component of professional football. Self's players MUST have the 'mind' to go along with the 'body,' and for some that is simply not possible. Lucas, as an example, appears to have the 'mind,' but his body is big but not athletic. Give him a 30 inch vertical, bigger hands, quicker feet and a decent set of back to the basket moves, and he'd be an All American. But he doesn't have the body, and never will. Give Diallo Lucas's understanding of our offense, and he'd be an All American. Mason is physically gifted, but lacks Aaron Miles understanding of how to play PG. I could go on, but the point has been made. We have a team that is flawed in some very odd ways, but it appears that these flaws aren't going to get fixed any time soon. If, by some miracle, Diallo figures it out by March, we'll be a load in the NCAAs. But if he doesn't, we're gone by the 2nd weekend. Last night we beat a good, but not great, Kentucky team, which didn't play very good defense. And they have a flawed offense, depending almost entirely on 2 guys, with a couple of guys who can help if they are on the floor. We played pretty well, but it's pretty clear that our guards can't guard very well, and given the reality that the best teams have better guards than we do, we'll eventually crash and burn at exactly the wrong time.

I really thought our guards were better defenders than they have shown so far this season. And now I don't understand why I thought that. Weird. Perhaps we simply need to play zone all the time, and simply forget about the man defense. If we do, it might even make it easier for Diallo and Bragg to contribute more.

But is was a nice win, and I'll settle for a couple more of those in the next week or so. But until and unless we can play well on the road, we're toast this season.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 3 months ago #2937 by LSHawk
At the game last night, behind and it was looking bleak, my son and I looked at each other and said, "In Self we trust."

More
8 years 3 months ago #2939 by Bayhawk
RC ;-]

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 3 months ago #2945 by porthawk

Hawknmo wrote: IMHO though this coach could care less about how anyone remembers individual teams but does care about the legacy he leaves as an overall great coach. I think for most of us that’s hard to accept. But as long as as he remains in charge we just have to get used to it.

That's a very interesting theory, Hawknmo. Never thought of it before, and while we don't know if it's true, it's definitely some food for thought.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 3 months ago #2947 by konza63
I'm not sure I follow it (without it being elaborated on more), much less agree with it.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 3 months ago #2950 by mtnMan
I think Self does have a sense of how the game ought to be played and he undoubtedly sticks to that too long. I was struck when he said after the game something along the lines that it would not have been right for a great game like that to have ended with a lucky heave from more than half court. I still like that he plays the game like he thinks it ought to be played. I hate zones.

• Hawknmo
  • Hawknmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #2952 by Hawknmo
There is no question Mtn that zones turn the game down a few notches. For lots of reasons seeing Syracuse orange makes me throw up in my mouth just a bit. But there is no denying our backcourt D isn't the best so busting out the zone gives the team a chance to win. HCBS obviously thought this W was important enough to do just that. Glad he did.

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 3 months ago #2957 by konza63
I hate zones too, MtnMan. Despise them. But I do like the idea of mixing it in, along with hybrid looks (what Self calls "junk defense," such as the triangle and 2--which is a M2M/zone combo). I like when a coach makes smart adjustments and doesn't just stick with something that clearly isn't working. That was my issue in the WVU, OSU, and ISU games.

The opposing teams have a crystal-clear sense of how to beat KU now. (In that same Calipari video I posted, you'll note that UK changed their offense for this game, installing a new one with only two days to practice it, and we all know what that offense was: employ effective screens and beat both our guards and our switching bigs off the ball into the paint for the score or dish)

What's nice is that Self now knows this very clearly, and he's working it. And when Self is working something, other coaches and teams had best watch out. The guy isn't a future HoFer for nothing.

Here's to continued iteration, evolution, and pursuit of the upside.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 3 months ago #2961 by HawkErrant
Speaking as a fan who values Ws more than any specific coaching ideology, as long as my guys play clean, I don't care what kind of O or D they play. Build a foundation, use what works, mix it up if needed based on the resources available to you, but get the W, doggone it!

Off my soapbox. :evil:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"