Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

We have a chance to go on a nice little run here...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2922 by konza63
Next up on the schedule, after the big win over the blueblood boys from Lexington:

* Home vs. K-State
* At TCU
* Home vs. WVU (Payback game!)

Then it's on the road for the big showdown versus the Sooners.

The next three games are not only very winnable, they are must-have wins where Self will have the opportunity (if he takes advantage of it) to work in Bragg and Diallo a lot more. On neutral courts in March and April against quality tournament competition, we will have no margin for error, and we'll need to have advanced well beyond where we were yesterday.

Beyond weaving in Bragg and Diallo considerably more, I hope Greene garners a healthy amount of minutes to continue gaining confidence and gelling with the rotations. I also hope Coach will pull out all the stops in tweaking our defensive schemes because the playbook on how to beat KU is crystal clear now (particularly when the foe has a great penetrating guard or guards). Now is the time to iterate, evolve, tweak, round out, improve, and advance. We have the tools on this team, I'm convinced, to be right there with the UNCs, OUs, Marylands, Iowas, and Michigan States...but we can't rest on our laurels or fall back to comfort zones.

Here's to hoping we see a nice little run over the next 3 games, some healthy evolution in our rotation, and a team that really begins to gel, find its upside identity, and gain confidence as we roll into Norman.

Rock Chalk!!!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #2925 by LasJayhawk
or is Greene playing a lot better D?

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith

More
8 years 2 months ago #2926 by hairyhawk
Agreed. Great plan. We will see about the young guys getting more playing time. I think people under estimate how much HCBS is just trying to win the game. I know a lot of others may feel differently but I want HCBS to try to win every game. The biggest jump in proficiencies happen in practice. Hopefully they can get some time for the young guys but I want to make sure we win first and foremost.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #2929 by HawkErrant
No, it is not. He is moving much better and visibly showing more energy on D than he did before the fallout with Self.

Hopefully he will continue to improve on D *and* his handle, which is a big soft spot for him on O.

He could be a very valuable contributor down the road if he continues to improve -- /s/ Captain Obvious

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #2931 by Hawknmo
Agreed on the possibility of getting 3 Ws here. The opportunity in those three games for lots of reasons is huge. Mainly to get a bit of swagger back. Surely knowing you have beat the squid, the kitties and a very good huggy bear team HAS to build some confidence going into March. The trip to Norman will be tough either way but getting these three games under the belt will be a huge boost.

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #2936 by Bayhawk
We could go all the way as long as we: 1) Play in the Phog; and 2) Get to overtime.

This team plays below expectation (as predicted by prognosticators and statisticians, and collapses on the road.

Now prove me wrong boys, I'll eat a snow shovel full of crow, but something BIG has to change to get to the sweet sixteen.

Meanwhile, the flag is full staff, the mancave is still decked out, and I am in post game victory regalia . . .

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #2942 by LasJayhawk
Squids, kitties, and bears. Oh my!

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith

More
8 years 2 months ago #2956 by Hawknmo
Oh my indeed. :P

RKCKJHK!!!

RKCKJHK!!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #2984 by hairyhawk
Kitty nor Bear nor even Frog just Super Rock Chalk Jayhawk Hoops.