Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

AY2023-24 Season jump start

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #31143 by HawkErrant
Writing in the KC Star (here's the Yahoo link), Gary Bedore reports that the Men's hoops team will get an excellent head start opportunity this summer as they take advantage of the NCAA rules allowing teams to make an international summer trip once every 4 years.

KU will play three exhibition games in San Juan, Puerto Rico* from 1-8 August 2023, opponents not yet set.

More important for this team of 3 returning scholarship players, 4 transfers and 4 freshmen may be the 10 pre-trip practices allowed!
Among that group are an excellent mix of 6 upperclassmen (KJ the lone junior, the rest seniors and super seniors), one sophomore in Arterio Morris and the 4 diaper dandies comprising the overall #7 recruiting class for 2023 (Rivals #7, 247Sports #6 and ESPN #9). But despite all that individual experience they have very little time playing together, so this is a fantastic "team-building" opportunity for them, and a chance for the freshman to experience play at the next level in preparation for the season.

Here's a link to more info on the event.

We'd be going (never been to PR, always wanted to visit) but for the fact we are currently laying the groundwork for renovating our kitchen this summer ("O, frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" I quote ironically (it's my way)) and the project timeline just might bleed over into August (we've had enough renovation work done to know that timelines are guidelines despite the best laid plans and intentions).

I am not sure if the games are going to streamed anywhere? Perhaps on the Kansas Jayhawks app, or ESPN+? I will post more if/when I find out.

ROCK CHALK!

*As Puerto Rico is a U.S. Territory with a "resident commissioner" serving as a non-voting representative in the US House of Representatives (the only 4 year member of the House), I'm not sure why this is considered an "International" trip, but hey, it's the NCAA...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, boulderhawk, Socalhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.