Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

McCullar returning???

• bklynhawk
  • bklynhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 months 4 days ago #31118 by bklynhawk
Rumors at this time are this is happening...
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
10 months 4 days ago #31120 by HawkErrant
Being considered. Link

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
10 months 4 days ago #31121 by Kong
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, jaythawk1

More
10 months 4 days ago #31122 by sasnak
YES!!!!!
I have wanted this all along. Now, even though we lost Udeh, I am ready for some basketball!!

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
10 months 4 days ago #31123 by jaythawk1
Not to be greedy but I want Udeh back too!

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, boulderhawk

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 months 4 days ago #31125 by replayloungehawk
Very excited McCullar is returning...but man I'm disappointed we lost Udeh. That said, we have some awesome pieces to be dang good next year!!!

More
10 months 4 days ago #31126 by sasnak
Me too! I just don't want to tempt the Gods

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 4 days ago #31128 by HawkErrant
Regarding Udeh...

Despite Bill Self saying from the beginning of the offseason that he'd love him back, "they" told us McCullar was gone, forgetabouthim.

"They" were wrong.

We are hearing the same about Ernest Udeh Jr.

But how much of his leaving was the idea -- now scuttled by the Duke admission office -- of being able to play at Duke?
How much has that disappointment affected his outlook?

How much or how little is Mom talking to him? She who, from all accounts, did not want him to leave KU? Especially now that Duke is out of the picture?

Is she talking to him about his NBA aspirations?
  • About how not wanting to try to beat out an All-American Center who NBA scouts are saying is not an NBA prospect (which is why HD may be at KU for 2 years) is not a good look for him as far as those same scouts are concerned?

• About how HD is an excellent offensive player that could help EU grow in his O game as they practice and play together?

• About how HD is an okay defender, but EU already has the advantage on him in that part of the game?

• About how with Self wanting to run HD is going to get more like 25 - 30 max - minutes per game and not the 35 that so many folks seem to think is going to happen? And that Self still likes running a two big man offense, which KU could do with HD stepping out and EU playing low?

• About how Self & Co are maintaining contact with EU, indicating they would take him back if he chose to withdraw from the portal?

Having written all that, I would not be surprised with whatever Ernest decides.
I'd love him back.

But I'm prepared for that not happening.

Because "They" could be right this time.
But "They" have been wrong before...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, wchawk, boulderhawk, Socalhawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

More
10 months 3 days ago - 10 months 3 days ago #31129 by USAF Jayhawk
When HCBS arrived at KU he was clearly a two-big kind of coach. Over the years though (and has said so himself) the game has evolved and the double post offense just doesn't fit in anymore, the game having gone to a fast 4 guard/wing offense with maybe a rim protector/pick&roll big guy. Even if Udeh came back, I don't see them playing together very often unless the other team is also big-heavy; hard to play Self-style hard-nosed defense with 2-bigs against a 4-small offense.

Here's to Udeh making the right call and coming back. Think of the improvement he'll make going up against HD in practice every day.
Last Edit: 10 months 3 days ago by USAF Jayhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 3 days ago #31130 by HawkErrant
The one thing I would note in response to your sound argument against HD and EU playing at the same time is that I could see them playing more as they would switch roles when they transitioned from offense to defense so EU defended their 4 while HD defended their 5. I think Udeh has reflexes enough to cover even a small quick 4 if put up against one. And if not? Self has got the guys to go toe-to-toe with any small ball team. And we might see EU over HD as our 5 in those situations, especially if HD can’t handle the foe’s quicker 5.

But that’s all day dreaming right now. At present there are no indications (at least that I have seen) that EU might be considering returning. I am simply noting that Duke seems out of the frame now, and conditions seem to be in place which would be conducive to his deciding to return.

Got to have a dream…

The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

More
10 months 3 days ago #31131 by USAF Jayhawk
I forgot to say in my earlier post, Udeh reminds me of a young Dok Azibuike. Dok had foul problems early, but I think a lot of that was caused by his extended stretches at the trainers table which limited his touches. Other than that though his presence in the middle as a rim protector and a dunker "par excellence". I really hope HCBS can convince him to return...
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, boulderhawk

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 3 days ago #31132 by HawkErrant

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk