Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

TRANSFER PORTAL & OTHER RECRUITING FOR KANSAS UPDATED 2023-06-20 2:00 PM CT

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
11 months 1 week ago #31105 by HawkErrant
KU has reached out to 1st Team All Big West graduate transfer Zyon Pullin, 6-4/195 SR G from UC Riverside.

Here's a link to Mike Vernon's KU Hearings entry on him.

Quick points--

KU looking to add a shooting wing to the roster.
Pullin averaged 18.3 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 4.2 assists on 48.6% shooting last season (39.4% from three).

Tweet from Connor Hope
@HoopsHopeCBB
Zyon Pullin was one of the best playmakers in college basketball last year. He will give some high-major team a significant boost as a grad transfer.
https://twitter.com/HoopsHopeCBB/status/1658891531007451138?s=20

Vernon's recap:
"(I)f KU adds Pullin or a different wing, it’ll have that one roster spot sitting open. And that’s where a few unlikely scenarios are possible…

You should watch the NBA Draft Combine closely this week. Kevin McCullar hopes to go pro, but the door remains open to come back if he doesn’t get the feedback he likes. Again, an unlikely but not impossible scenario.

KU will also have its eyes on Grant Nelson and Arthur Kaluma this week. Both are in the portal while going through the Draft process. Nelson’s odds of returning to college are trending down, as he’s performed well in the Combine.

I’ve also heard Bill Self has maintained contact with Ernest Udeh. It’s a long shot, but KU would be thrilled to have him back. Udeh is thought to be a… gulps... Duke lean."

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #31111 by HawkErrant
Today we have learned that Ernest Udeh is "VISITING" Duke and Kyle Cuffe Jr has committed to Syracuse.
(Post I read re: Udeh was very poorly worded, read like he committed; will teach me to read for a second source before posting here).

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 11 months 1 week ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Changed committed to

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 6 days ago - 11 months 6 days ago #31114 by HawkErrant
No player updates today.

Re: the NBA Combine -- as I understand it, the scrimmages are over and the next few days participants get to work with teams on their own.

As a projected lottery pick, Gradey Dick did not participate in the scrimmages.

Jalen and Kevin did. Neither distinguished themselves, and may have actually hurt their stock.

Jalen had measurements taken and athletic testing done.
6-5.5' (without shoes)
230 pounds
6-8' wingspan
31.5" Standing vertical leap
35" Max vertical leap
11.26 seconds for Lane agility
3.2 seconds in 3/4 court sprint:

Kevin did neither measurements nor athletic testing.

I do not know whom they will be seeing through Sunday, the last official day of the Combine, or beyond.

Kevin has until May 31 to withdraw from the NBA Draft if he is going to return.

NOTE WELL:
There are currently 90 two-way NBA/G League contracts that split playing time between the G League and up to 50 days in the NBA with the parent team during the season.

$509K was 2022-23 2-way contract maximum.

I could not find what the projected 2023-24 contract maximums will be, but figure not more than $600K for now (# being tossed around in forums, but no references to support it, just conjecture... so far).

I would think odds are Kevin will get one of those contracts if he is not selected in the draft.

And oh, yes -- I would think his agent will be talking with overseas teams as well, so that's possibly in the picture.

So, if Kevin really does not want to return for one more year of college, even on a potential national championship team, I would think the only thing that could bring him back will be a significant NIL deal.

I also would think that KU's NIL partner the Mass St. Collective could manage that.

I have read that Jalen got $1M last year.

If Kevin has that NIL guarantee for next season to consider, who knows?

We will know for sure sometime in the next 12 days.

Last Edit: 11 months 6 days ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 5 days ago - 11 months 3 days ago #31115 by HawkErrant
Sunday May 21

Draft participants who are eligible have until May 31, 10 days from today, to withdraw from the draft and be eligible to return to college play.

Should be an interesting period coming up. Who’s returning? Who will be available?

In Combine
McCullar?
Nelson?
Kaluma?
Phillips?
Not in Combine
Collins?
Pullin?

Side note: Aziz Bandaogo is off the board, committed to Cincinnati yesterday.

Last Edit: 11 months 3 days ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Collins was not in Combine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, boulderhawk

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 3 days ago #31116 by HawkErrant
“Fish or cut bait.”

With the Combine over, eligible early entrants have until May 31 to withdraw from the draft and retain their eligibility.

Looking at the Bleacher Report post-combine mock draft, Gradey Dick projects to be a top 10 pick at #10, Jalen Wilson slipped from late first round to late second round (52 of 60), and Kevin McCullar Jr did not make the cut.
Bleacher Report: Stock Up, Stock Down: How the 2023 NBA Draft Combine Changed Our Mock Draft

KU interest Julian Phillips of Creighton is a projected late R2 pick.

The following players who are also in the portal and of interest to KU (at least in the past) did not make the B-R mock draft cut (shown with other portal players of interest who were not in the Combine).

STILL IN PORTAL - KU Interested? (See Links to Player's Career Records below these tables.)
F Nelson, Grant NDakotaSt
F Kaluma, Arthur Creighton
Not in combine…
F Collins, Daimion Kentucky
G Pullin, Zyon UC Riverside

Add Kevin Mc to that list as a possibility. After his Combine showing, the talk is that he and his family have a big decision to make with NIL options making it a more complex situation than in the past.

Of note also is that reports are that Self is only looking to fill one of the two remaining rides.
But those reporting that don’t know for sure whether or not it’s because Self is holding 1 for Kevin, and may opt to eat it as payment 2 of 3 on the scholarship hit KU reported to the NCAA re: the case if Kevin does not return.

One other point — apparently Duke has cooled on Udeh. The prior 247Sports projections that had him going to Durham have all been changed to uncertain. Not sure why. One poster on Slant said it was an admissions issue, not unlike Caleb Love’s issues with Michigan. I have no idea how accurate that comment could be.

D minus 9 and counting…

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, boulderhawk, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 2 days ago - 11 months 2 days ago #31119 by HawkErrant
As of late this afternoon there are no known visits to KU set up for this weekend.

Clearly Self & Co are waiting for the NBA Draft tree to shake out to see who withdraws and may be interested.

First and foremost, of course, is Kevin McCullar Jr.

Word as of this evening per Shay Wildeboor of Rivals JayhawkSlant is that Kevin returning is a possibility.
"I think there are certain situations where you just allow things to play out, let the kid make his decision, and keep things quiet. That’s what McCullar, Jr., and his family want. I do know that the family is in the process of making a decision and a return to Kansas is possible. If he doesn’t like what he hears, he’ll return." - Shay W.

As always, we want what is best for our guys, but I must confess I hope Kevin and his family decide it is to return to college for one more shot at another NC for KANSAS.

Also be advised of two things regarding Ernest Udeh Jr...

1. Duke is apparently out of the picture for him because of academics. Duke Admissions reportedly has said "Sorry, Ernie." No word yet on what's next other than he was planning on visiting KState and TCU.

2. There are reports that Self & Company are indeed keeping in touch with Ernest.
Does that mean he may decide to withdraw from the portal and stay with KANSAS?
No one is reporting that as a possibility, but the fact that contact is being maintained, plus the reports that Ernest's family wanted him to stay at KANSAS but he entered the portal anyway on advice of his handlers, would seem to indicate him returning is not totally off the table. Personally, I would love that. I really like the big youngster.

Time will tell.

In the meantime, we wait.

Buenos noches!

Last Edit: 11 months 2 days ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 2 days ago #31127 by HawkErrant
The waiting is over for KU fans - KMc is back!

KUAthletics.com: He’s Back! Kevin McCullar Jr. to Return to Kansas for the 2023-24 Season

“How about one more year Jayhawk nation? ... To be able to play in front of the best fans in the country; to play for the best coach in the nation, I truly believe we have the pieces to hang another banner in the Phog. Rock Chalk! Let’s do it!” - KMc

“Kevin went through the pre-draft process, which is designed to do exactly what it did... Even though he has improved his status as an NBA prospect, there is still work to be done and he has informed us that he is going to return to Kansas for his last year of college... This is a big day for Kansas basketball. We’ve had a lot of good things happen through recruiting this offseason, but nothing that has transpired this offseason was bigger for KU basketball than having a seasoned veteran like Kevin McCullar return to our program... Kevin is not only a terrific player, but a terrific teammate. He fit in so well in year one and we’re excited about what he’ll do with our program from a leadership standpoint.” -- Kansas head coach Bill Self.

Following off my last entry, that was a short wait to learn of Kevin's return.

As noted in the updated thread origin post, Self does not plan to use the 12th and remaining ride this year unless a "game changer" becomes available.

From what I've been reading I see four possible options at present that Self might consider for that last ride.

First I have to talk Udeh.

As mentioned in my last post, (1) Duke is apparently out of the picture for him, (2) his Mom never wanted him to transfer and (3) Self & Co have kept in contact with him since he entered the portal. The last two points, especially the third, tell me he could withdraw from the portal and take that last scholarship if he changes his mind. I HAVE SEEN NOTHING since the Duke misfire to indicate he will change his mind, but if he left KANSAS really focusing on Duke, who knows what his mindset is after what has to be a crushing setback for him? And no one outside his inner circle knows how much Mom is talking to him about reconsidering given that Duke is off the table.

After letting Ernest come back, Grant Nelson would be the other sure fire option that I think would get Self's attention. At 6-11/235 and a scorer in and out, he could work a 3 man rotation with Dickinson and KJ in the 4-5 spots. But will someone that talented (remember, he was good enough to get an NBA Combine invitation) be interested in playing a 6th Man role, even if it comes with starter minutes? And we still have to see if he is all in with his pro aspirations or whether he will withdraw from the draft to return for 1 more year of college.

The third option is 2x All Big West Graduate Transfer PG Zyon Pullin (18.3 PPG, 4.2 APG, 4.4 RBG, 30.4% FG3, 77% FT), who could provide another proven PG as backup to Dajuan -- and one with a solid 3 point shot to boot. He has only been on the market for a short while, and Gonzaga -- and Illinois and WVU and others -- are interested, so who knows how long he will be out there if Self & Co are waiting to see what Udeh or Nelson decide to do?

Fourth option is to leave the ride open and go with 2 unused rides this year to put toward the NCAA case penalty (lose 3 scholarships over the next 3 years).

I think by now you know my preferences. I'd like to see Ernest return, take up the backup 5 spot (sorry, Parker) and have the chance to learn day-to-day how to defend a great offensive center *and* to learn offensive post play from him.

It's a great day On The Hill, Jayhawks!

KMc is back!

The following user(s) said Thank You: wchawk, boulderhawk, porthawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #31140 by HawkErrant
No news today other than the countdown to
WED 2023-05-31 , 11:59 PM ET: NCAA deadline to withdraw from draft & be eligible w/NCAA certified agent (or no agent) hired.
is
D minus 5...

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #31146 by HawkErrant
WED 2023-05-31 , 11:59 PM ET: NCAA deadline to withdraw from draft & be eligible w/NCAA certified agent (or no agent) hired.
is
D minus 4...

I know it has been a quiet period, but that is now over and there has been absolutely nothing on the internet about Udeh visiting other programs now that Duke has fallen through.

Before the Duke visit it was reported that he would also be visiting TCU and KState.

As far as I can tell he has not scheduled visits to either of those schools or anywhere else.

The "radio silence" is intriguing...

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #31148 by HawkErrant
is
D minus 3...

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #31149 by HawkErrant
is
D minus 2 ...

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #31152 by HawkErrant
Grant Nelson has withdrawn from the NBA draft and is looking for a new home to play his last year of college ball (see thread origin post for Nelson info).

That is all, except for the countdown to the
WED 2023-05-31, 11:59 PM ET
NCAA deadline to withdraw from the draft & be eligible w/NCAA certified agent (or no agent) hired is

D minus 1...
Tomorrow is the last day.

ROCK CHALK!

Last Edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #31153 by HawkErrant
The NCAA's NBA Draft Withdrawal Deadline is today.

But it does seem that Self & Company are happy with the 11 scholarship and 4 walk-on guys they have on board and will not be using that 12th scholarship this season. So the 15 member roster you see posted here is pretty much set.

It is possible they will use the 12th ride to cover Ernest Udeh Jr should he change his mind and return. People keep mentioning this in part because since his visit with Duke soured there has been *no* word on the net about him visiting anywhere else, and Mike Vernon at kuhearings.com has reported that Self & Co are keeping in touch with EU.

I sadly (because I really like Ernie) think it more likely that Self & Company will leave it unfilled and use it as the 2nd of the 3 rides lost over 3 years portion of the KU imposed penalty for recruiting violations in the NCAA Notice of Allegations.

Time alone will tell.

In the meantime -- TOMORROW is June 1 and the lads will be starting to arrive for the summer session, getting started on their academics and getting prepped for their 3 exhibition games in San Juan, Puerto Rico 1-8 August 2023.

Let's go, JAYHAWKS!
ROCK CHALK!

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #31154 by HawkErrant
Just came across the following conversation between a JayhawkSlant poster and Shay Wildeboor regarding Udeh.

FYI & FWIW,

Shay said:

Bleedblue&red said:
Shay if Udeh had a change of heart the roster would open back up for him don’t you think?

Here's the thing with Ernest Udeh, Jr. I talked to him at the season-ending banquet, and he was so fired up about the off-season, working on his game this spring/summer, and then taking the next step next season. I had some great quotes from him and I could tell from the minute the conversation started until the end that he was really excited about the immediate future. Still, even when Hunter Dickinson committed to Kansas, I was told that Udeh, Jr., was committed to staying and I was in the process of writing a story on Udeh, Jr., from my time with him at the season-ending banquet.

However, near the end of the season, possibly in February, I was told that some people close to Udeh, Jr., possibly an AAU coach, wasn't happy with his role. I was also told the same guy wasn't happy with the role of a kid at Notre Dame that left for, I believe, Vanderbilt. I kind of dismissed it at the time, but what I was being told back then turned out to be true.

I'm told that his mother absolutely wanted him to remain at Kansas and never wanted him to leave. I sat next to her at the camp games last year right after Udeh, Jr., arrived and she was having the time of her life. If Ernest Udeh, Jr., ultimately wants to return to Kansas, I'm sure that a discussion between him and Self will have to take place first.
Shay Wildeboor

And as I have previously reported, Mike Vernon has written "I’ve Heard Bill Self has stayed in touch with Udeh throughout the transfer process."

So who knows.

2023-05-18 Udeh visting Duke (link)

2023-05-22 Duke cooled on Udeh, 247Sports "Crystal Ball" predictions go from "100% Duke" to "?" (link)

2023-05-31 11:40 AM Still no new news re: EU on the net - nothing re: reported plans to visit TCU and KSt, no other visits mentioned, no reports of any other visits happening at all.

Things that make you go hmmm...

Last Edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #31155 by HawkErrant
Ernest Udeh Jr has committed to TCU today.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #31157 by USAF Jayhawk
Bummer, hoped he'd realize how much he'd learn from HCBS and playing with HD. I'm hoping this is a sign that HD is planning to stay two years (Big men aren't worth as much in the NBA as they once were now that the league has gone to more mobile, shooting teams)
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #31159 by HawkErrant
The draft withdrawal deadline has come and gone.
All our guys who were leaving have found a new home.
All of the 8 new guys coming in are anticipated to arrive in the next few days.

Click on the link to go to what is anticipated to be the final Update to the RCB 2023 Transfer Portal origin post.

Or not -- those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer, those days of soda and pretzels and beer arrive this month, so have a great time, ENJOY this life we live and BE SAFE! Everyone back here in the fall!

Meanwhile I intend to ramble on prepping things for the next great Big 12 and NCAA Championship season for the UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS JAYHAWKS Men's Basketball program.

Catch you on the flip side of summer...

ROCK CHALK!
JAYHAWK!
KU!

The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, porthawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #31176 by HawkErrant
As noted in the updated OP, "it ain't over 'til it's over".

I guess I should also add "I'm Baack!" (still one of my favorite scenes in Independence Day).

Click on the link to read the update.

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #31185 by HawkErrant
Origin post updated for latest info. (link)

• HawkErrant
More
10 months 2 weeks ago #31200 by HawkErrant
Guard Christopher Carter has transferred from Cal State-Northridge to KANSAS as a preferred walk-on, bringing the KU walk-on total to 7 and the roster total to 17. KU can add one more player - scholarship #11 or walk-on #8 - to next year’s squad.

The 6-4/180 Carter comes to KANSAS as a redshirt freshman transfer with 4 years left to play 4.

With redshirting this past season there is no record or video to peruse, but 247Sports.com provided the following info…

247sports.com/college/kansas/Article/Kan...-as-a-PWO-211424527/

Started playing basketball as a HS sophomore.
He won the Desert Empire League MVP as a senior in 2022.

Cory DeSanti of the Elev8elite basketball program, the high school basketball grassroots program based out of Southern California that current KU signee Marcus Adams Jr. played for before he enrolled at KU, reports ”…he is a dynamic athlete, with incredible athleticism and a knack for the basketball. Great offensive rebounder at the guard position, finishes everything, one of the most athletic guys on any court he steps on. Real good shooter of the catch and shoot. Protects as a 3 and D wing with elite finishing capabilities. I think the ability to learn under this great Coaching staff, in Lawrence alongside his friend Marcus was just too good to pass up… A team player, Off the court, he is an exceptional young man, raised the right way, very humble, very kind, does things the right way, very respectful, quiet at times.”

The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, porthawk, newtonhawk