Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

TRANSFER PORTAL & OTHER RECRUITING FOR KANSAS UPDATED 2023-06-20 2:00 PM CT

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #31061 by sasnak
Ok, I am sure that I am in the minority here but I would rather keep Ernie than snag Dickinson. Udeh showed some serious sparks of being a monster player. How many bigs can run with the ball like we saw him do more than once? In the right program, he's going to be a game changer. I am not recognizing our team. Winning is one thing but there is something to be said about watching a player develop instead of just buying talent.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #31062 by CorpusJayhawk
Wow this one does hurt and is a bit of a head scratcher. Is it just the times we are in with NIL and portal and all or is something up in Jayhawkville? We had 11 of 13 players leaving, 8 by portal. And Jalen, Gradey and Kevin could have returned by rule. I am inclined to chalk it up to the portal and NIL where a bench sitter at Kansas could certainly be starting somewhere else and also likely earning more NIL. We pretty desperately need Mgbako to commit. We will still be good but that changes the dynamic of the team with KJ now having to be backup at the 5. I am guessing the Udeh decision was a shocker to Self. We’ll see where he lands but this one seems like an ill-advised decision. He was really in a good position to improve and get more PT.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, boulderhawk

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #31063 by AZhawk87
I have no idea where this NIL and portal thing is going, but I sure hope we’re not the portal program like KY is the one and done program.

I’m way more excited to see Udeh over the next couple years than I am Dickinson and whoever else transfers in.

I’m withholding final judgment, but I’m not liking where Self is going right now with the portal. Recruit better up front rather than dumping 8-9 guys to portal then taking 10 new guys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #31064 by Kong
This is terrible. We will have two returning players from last year. Udeh really is the perfect type of player for Self to develop and now he is gone.

It is killing the joy I used to have. Between one and done, conference realignment, NIL, and transfer portal, there really isn't much to like about college sports anymore.

It is turning me from being a fanatic, to someone who just will casually look at the scores if I even know they are playing.

I do not blame the kids. The are going to where the grass is greener and, in many instances, where the money is greater, but as a fan of college sports, we lose. Watching players develop, watching them buy in to the University we all loved, watching them grow from kids to adults, watching the game plans evolve into complex variations of a theme as they grow in a system, all while supporting our university. I never really cared for one and done players as they aren't with the team long enough for me to care about them. The same with a lot, not all, JUCO players. They are here and gone. This is all that I don't like about sports.

Sigh

I'm done ranting.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, boulderhawk

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #31069 by JoJoHawk
I don’t think this one was to Self’s liking. We now see that the portal is a double edged sword. The current status of NIL and free agency (Curt Flood would be amazed) is probably becoming a massive headache for most coaches. In the case of Udeh, as in other cases, I think these kids have “handlers” who are looking at both NIL money and then the quickest route to the NBA- that is Playing Time NOW, get max exposure to show potential and get drafted based on that. Forget developing your game at a college you actually care about for 3 or 4 years. I, as most of you, was really looking forward to watching this player develop over another year or two and am bummed he has left. If KM comes back I’ll feel better, if he does not, and if KJA should leave- I’m OUT!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, boulderhawk, newtonhawk

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #31072 by HawkErrant
Mackenzie Mgbako, whom we have been told for some time was a lock for Kansas, opted for Indiana. Word I’m seeing is that the shocker happened because IU guaranteed him playing time, which is something Self never does.

KANSAS has 3 rides open.

1 set aside in case Kevin returns (don’t count on it). However, with no Mgbako, his return would be huge.

Will be interesting to see who else Bill goes after in the the next few months.

Remember, deadline to withdraw from the NBA draft and retain eligibility is May 31.

Let’s see what Bill comes up with now…

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #31073 by HawkErrant
Some more thoughts on the plus side of not landing Mgbako from a JayhawkSlant poster, thoughts to which I find myself agreeing…

“The bright side to me is that we didn’t add another freshman. We already have too many freshmen coming in for next season who won’t contribute. On paper Mgbako seems like he would be a terrific addition but in the recent history of KU hoops how many freshmen have really been studs for us? There are a handful but most have needed time to acclimate prior to making an impact.

I would much prefer to fill our last scholarship or 2 with veterans who withdraw from the draft than Mgbako. If I thought Mgbako would stick around for 2-4 years I would have a different opinion but he wants to be OAD.” - Chicago Jayhawk

Remember:
3 = Open ride count
31 May = Deadline to withdraw from Draft
AND - there are still portal options available, some in and some not in the draft…

Arthur Kaluma 6-7/225 PF Creighton SO

Julian Phillips 6-8/198 SF Tenn FR

In Draft
Grant Nelson 6-9/235 PF N Dakota St JR

Plus, still on the table from HS?

Ron Holland 5* 6-8/185 SF has asked for release from his NLI w/Texas (not released as of 2023-05-12).

“If that (guy) don’t wanna know, forget (him)”
- adapting Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, porthawk, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #31077 by HawkErrant
First, here's a link to ESPN's latest updated transfer listing.
ESPN Top 100 2023-24 Transfers as of 2023-05-12

Following up on the new listing of potential transfer targets in the Origin Post, here is a list of Uncommitted Centers culled from the latest 247Sports Transfer Portal listings.

Given the length of this list -- which includes only one of the many N/A rated players -- I'm hoping we learn more in the near future about which players KU might be seriously looking at for now.

Of course, until the NBA Draft Withdrawal deadline passes on May 31, it is possible that we won't hear much of anything until then.

So, submitted for your consideration are some of the best Centers still out there ... to include a familiar name ...

Uncommitted Centers Extract from the 
247Sports 2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal						
Last Updated: 5/13/2023 3:59:48 PM CST						
(Rating is their 247Sports Rating out of High School)

NAME			RATING	POS ELIGIBILITY STATUS       FROM	    COMMENT
Aziz Bandaogo		( N/A )	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Utah Valley    2 years 
Mac Etienne		0.9814	C   Immediate	uncommitted  UCLA	
Jackson Grant		0.9707	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Washington	    4 years
Adrame Diongue		0.9647	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Washington St	
Malique Ewin		0.9623	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Ole Miss	
Wilhelm Breidenbach	0.9546	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Nebraska	    2 years
Ernest Udeh Jr.		0.9500	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Kansas	
Francisco Caffaro	0.9410	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Virginia	
Zach Loveday		0.9256	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Baylor	
Javonte Brown-Ferguson	0.9165	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Texas A&M	
Moussa Cisse		0.9100	C   need waiver Ole Miss     Oklahoma St	
Daimion Collins		0.9100	C   Immediate   uncommitted  Kentucky	
Isaiah Miranda		0.9100	C   Immediate	uncommitted  NC St	
Dieonte Miles		0.9013	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Xavier	
Duke Brennan		0.8912	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Arizona St	
Kenny Pohto		0.8900	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Wichita St	
Makhel Mitchell		0.8900	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Arkansas	
Connor Vanover		0.8900	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Oral Roberts	
Matthew Van Komen	0.8895	C   Immediate	uncommitted  St. Mary's	
Ashton Smith		0.8861	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Texas A&M	
Nate Barnhart		0.8858	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Wyoming	
Malcolm Wilson		0.8822	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Georgetown	
Rodney Howard		0.8802	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Georgia Tech	
Naheem McLeod		0.8728	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Florida St	
Akeem Odusipe		0.8719	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Kent St	
Burke Smith		0.8700	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Boise St	
Ibrahima Diallo		0.8678	C   Immediate	uncommitted  San Jose St    3 years
Bradley Ezewiro		0.8652	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Georgetown	
Favour Aire		0.8500	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Miami	    4 years
Mouhamadou Cisse	0.8478	C   Immediate	uncommitted  Saint Louis	
Max Allen		0.8428	C   Immediate	uncommitted  San Jose St	
NB: The source shows all these players as Immediately eligible, but my research has yet to find anything to substantiate that Moussa Cisse, a two time undergraduate transfer (Memphis to OKSt, OkSt to ?) who would have to sit for a year, has the grounds to get a waiver so he may play next season. Apparently Aziz Bandaogo (Akron to Utah Valley, Utah Valley to ?) has the grounds to get a waiver.

Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by HawkErrant. Reason: formatting; Moussa Cisse commits 5/14
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, porthawk

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #31078 by HawkErrant
Well Happy Mothers Day, Ma Cisse!

Your lad Moussa has committed to Ole Miss today.

One more piece off the board.

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #31081 by HawkErrant
Today on the new JayhawkSlant podcast (the Mothers Day edition!) the main discussion was hoops and football recruiting and the transfer portal.

Posting in the Allen Fieldhouse Slant Suite afterwards, Shay Wildeboor -- when directly asked about Kevin McCullar's chances of returning for his Super Senior season -- said he was hearing there might be a crack in that door that was thought closed.

Not to get our hopes up, and I hope Kevin decides to do what he thinks is best for him... but the NIL possibilities and the chance to improve his draft stock à la Ochai and Jalen -- and the fact the Mgbako did NOT choose KANSAS, so Kevin’s playing time to do that would not be an issue (as I think it was for Mgbako and his OAD dreams) -- might just be the best deal for him if it seems the G League might be more likely than the NBA?

No clue, just thinking out loud.

May 31 is 17 days away.

We will probably know closer to May 21 and the ending of the Combine.

Hang in there, Jayhawks fans!

ROCK CHALK!

The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, jaythawk1

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #31082 by CorpusJayhawk
What a roller coaster ride this off season has been. First we have the expected announcement that Gradey is staying in the draft. I think we all sort of expected that. And of course, Jalen made it clear all along that he was gone. And then Kevin announced he was entering the draft and all but said that was final. Then we had the sort of expected mass exodus of Bobby, MJ. And Yesufu. I think at that point we were all saying okay, we can live with this as long as Self lands some solid replacements in the portal. Then we landed Timberlake. Not an earth shaking event but it ticked up the optimism to have a likely very good shooter on board. Then we learned that the big prize was considering Kansas in Hunter Dickinson. Meanwhile several other players were also considering Kansas but the Dickinson watch was consuming all the air in the room. If we landed Dickinson we were immediately a contender. Then Spears chose FSU and Mgbako entered the equation. We were hearing rumblings that Mgbako had all but chosen Kansas and was just going through the motions. Then Ejiofor announced he was transferring. That was a little alarming. What if Dickinson chose not to come? But Dickinson announced that KU was his choice and we were all relieved. We had a pretty good roster, albeit, the bench was looking decidedly freshmanish. But Mgbako was still lurking. When Cuffe announced that was not a huge issue since he was likely to be down the pecking order and replaceable. But it is still a little distasteful to have so many transferring out. It was getting a little ugly at that point. Then the real shocker with Udeh entering. I don’t think anyone expected this. We will never know if this was a good move for him. Certainly he had a bright future in the crimson and blue. But you could sort of understand what his mindset as. Right in that time frame Arteriosclerótico Morris announced KU. That was a accompanied by less fanfare because of the off court published issues he had. While I think there was some excitement it was definitely tempered. But we still had Mgbako coming or so we Mgbako announces for Indiana. All of the sudden, KU is well into May with 9 scholarship player, 4 of those being freshmen. Our bench is now likely 100% freshmen, that is not necessarily bad but it is not the usual prototype of a title contender. Granted, our projected starting 5 is looking nice. Quite strong in fact. But we all know that injuries are an increasingly common part of college basketball. Our depth has evaporated. 2 significant injuries and we become very average very fast. But now we hear that McCullar is maybe just maybe possibly considering returning. But we still have 2 slots available (actually 3 but our self-imposed limit is 12). And the availability in the portal for big men is not wowing and can we sell someone to come to KU and back up Dickinson who is likely to play 30+ minutes per game? We have been super high and pretty low on this roller coaster. There were moments where we thought we may end up being a strong favorite to win it all. Right now we are hoping to fill some holes that could keep us from being fairly mediocre. Kong expressed his sentiments that this may be it for him. I am not yet there but I can see that place from where we are. I am still enthused and always looking forward to the season. But I have a collection of bad vibes and bad flavors mixed in with that enthusiasm. I fear that gone are the days of senior night when we celebrate young men who have shared our passion for our university. An average of 5 players per team hit the portal. And if you assume 3 players per team are graduating, that means over half of every roster is turned over every year from here on out. In our case 11 of 13 are gone. Not a single member of the last two recruiting classes are on the roster. I guess like so much of life, we have to adapt or choose to step out of the arena. That is sort of life in these days and times.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, porthawk

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #31083 by sasnak
Is it possible for someone to enter the portal yet re sign with their original school?

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #31084 by HawkErrant

sasnak wrote: Is it possible for someone to enter the portal yet re sign with their original school?

Absolutely.

Entering the portal is placing a marker to ensure your options.

If the player doesn’t burn their bridges behind them, a return is always a possibility.

It was always part of the discussion with Dickinson, him possibly staying at Michigan.

Either or Udeh / Zuby could come back.

Frankly, if either did I would think it would be Zuby. With Udeh gone Zuby would be the #2 C instead of 3 or even 4 (HD, EU, KJ, ZE).

I’m sure it has happened, but I cannot cite an example.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 1 week ago #31088 by HawkErrant
Ernest Udeh visiting Duke, KState and TCU.
https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1658150955739652098?s=20
(copy and paste link to see tweet)

I would prefer he not go to any of those.

Duke makes no sense as he would be backing up Filipkowski.

KState makes sense, but no, just no.

TCU...

I'd really prefer he go out of conference.

>sigh<

More
11 months 1 week ago #31090 by sasnak
My fear with Ernie is that he WILL pick an in conference school and he will kick our butts for the next 2 years. I REALLY wanted him to be OUR buttkicker, not the other way around.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
11 months 1 week ago #31091 by AZhawk87
Read a couple articles that Kentucky and Duke are talking to our guys. How do we lose guys that are that level of talent. Disappointing.

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 1 week ago #31092 by HawkErrant
Zuby Ejiofor has found a new home with Rick Pitino and St John’s.

Link

Best of luck, Z!

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 1 week ago #31097 by HawkErrant
Today Shay Wildeboor at JayhawkSlant wrote that KU is looking to fill two more scholarships and then add a "big/tall" walk-on.
To me that means leaving the 12th ride for Kevin should he return, or not filling it if Kevin stays in the draft and taking 2 of the 3 penalty scholarships KU has promised to the NCAA over the next three years in AY2023-24.

As I noted in a separate thread on him, there is talk Christian's older brother Parker Braun may be coming to KU and it may be as a walk-on. NOTHING definite on that, but Shay thinks it could happen.

Also note that Shay is saying to keep an eye on sophomore F Daimion Collins (6-9/210) from Kensucky. He's a former five-star prospect looking for a new school to call home. If Self could get him to come to Lawrence it would be a very nice "upside" addition.

We are in Day 2 of the NBA Combine, Sunday May 21 being its last day. Things could? should? get interesting after that.

The Origin Post has been updated to reflect this info.

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 1 week ago #31100 by HawkErrant
Updating the earlier post from today, and as per the standalone post made when I first learned of it, Parker Braun signed with KU today. The origin post has been updated to reflect scholarship 10 being filled, leaving 2 more for next year. I will keep thinking that Bill is holding #12 for Kevin until we know 100% Kevin is not returning, which means KU has 1 scholarship left to fill, presumably for another big/tall such as Daimion Collins.

If Kevin does not return then KU will try to land another wing and another big/tall player to fill out the 12.

I may be wrong, but I can’t see Bill opting to eat 2 of the 3 penalty schollies this year.

IN THE MEANTIME, contemplating whether Parker Braun becomes the Mitch Lightfoot for next year’s team… the guy who can step in for short spells to keep the ship afloat when the starting bigs need a breather for whatever reason?

Welcome aboard, Parker!

• HawkErrant
More
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 day ago #31102 by HawkErrant
Here is a YouTube link to a College Basketball Scouting video of Parker Braun #23 at Santa Clara.

Keep an eye out for the stats displayed atop the frame throughout the video.

Mike Vernon at KUhearings.com reported Braun's grades last year with the advanced college basketball scouting tool “Synergy” --

36th percentile, or “average,” in creating points on all offensive possessions.
67th percentile, or “very good,” in transition offense.
85th percentile, or “excellent,” in field goal attempts.
92nd percentile, or “excellent,” in shots at the rim.
80th percentile, or “very good,” in defense at the rim.

Per Vernon: "The numbers show he was effective around the rim last year, but struggled in other areas. All Kansas needs is a backup big who can be in the right position, protect the rim, and rebound. Braun should be able to accomplish that."

He looks fast, he has post moves, his play is very similar looking (at least in the posted video) to his brother's (though obviously not as effective in scoring when he is away from the hoop).

If at 6-10/215 he can play some solid D in the paint and especially at the rim, he looks to be the Mitch Lightfoot ticket for a one year big man backup to HD.

Last Edit: 11 months 1 day ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, newtonhawk