Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Rice gone

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 2 weeks ago #30877 by AZhawk87
Entering portal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #30878 by AZhawk87
This may be the end of the 5 stars at KU, which by the way I’m fine with. I think 5 stars will have many options other than college in the near future.

Self is one of the top college coaches ever, but he doesn’t seem suited for the 5 star OAD type kids. We’ve had a few come thru, but mostly (Wigs and Dick) ones that were sure fire stars who Self let play, despite their lack of defense.

Grimes was our last guy who was awful under Self, but who thrived in a less constrained system, and is an active NBA player now. Self couldn’t/wouldn’t adapt to get Rice even 1-2 minutes a week. Maybe he’s a bust, but I suspect he’ll be better in a different system.

Self just won’t adapt to these players, which works for him and for KU. I’m good with that going forward, and no longer care what our players’ rankings are in high school. Let Self be Self, and get players who need to ruminate for a couple years.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by AZhawk87.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, boulderhawk, porthawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 2 weeks ago #30879 by replayloungehawk
Again, wasn't overly impressed but then I wonder, did he just not get enough playing time to really get going? Either way, I hope the best for him. This transfer and immediately be eligible to play has really changed things. I don't know if it's good or bad. I guess it was good with Remi LOL.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #30880 by USAF Jayhawk
I think the OADs need time to develop over the course of a season (Not all of course, GD hit the court running) and HCBS just isn't that kind of coach.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #30883 by porthawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 2 weeks ago #30892 by HawkErrant

USAF Jayhawk wrote: I think the OADs need time to develop over the course of a season (Not all of course, GD hit the court running) and HCBS just isn't that kind of coach.

I think it’s more “you will show you can and will learn to play defense or you will not get much PT at Kansas — unless you immediately show you are a super offensive talent.”

Rice often looked lost on both ends of the court. I had hoped he would thrive on the challenge, as Remy, GD and Wiggins did, but he never once showed he could be an offensive weapon for KU — and not be a major liability on defense, which was usually the case.

Lots of innate talent there. I had hopes he would stay with KU and develop it. Alas, not to be.

Best of luck, MJ, except against Kansas!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"