Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Kitties go down!

• USAF Jayhawk
  • USAF Jayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
1 year 4 weeks ago #30852 by USAF Jayhawk
I was so rooting for FAU so the KSU terrible fanbase can go back to worrying about KU again (rent free).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
1 year 4 weeks ago #30858 by AZhawk87
I was torn on this one. I despise KSt for both their fan base and subjecting us to Bruce Weber for several years (has he cut his hair YET - maybe after KU self imposed penalties?). At least they get to hang another Elite 8 banner !!

But I like Tang, and I respect Nowell and Keyante. Great players.

I’m too biased to give my own opinion, but I wonder if Tang sees KSt as a premier (or at least top tier) job, or will he move on as soon as a better gig comes along.

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 4 weeks ago #30859 by replayloungehawk
Agree AZ. I was torn big time. I can't stand their fanbase. So incredibly annoying. But also liked watching Nowell play and Tang seems alright. But alas, it was not to be. I was wondering if they would finally get a championship but I guess not. I don't know who I'll pull for now of the teams that are left. Probably Creighton and Miami today and FAU and Miami if they can make it to the final four. I'm not a UCONN fan though I don't despise them like some other schools. UCONN looks unstoppable right now.

• USAF Jayhawk
  • USAF Jayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
1 year 4 weeks ago #30867 by USAF Jayhawk
Per CBS Sports tweet, the kitties are 0-8 in Elite 8 games.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #30870 by HawkErrant

USAF Jayhawk wrote: Per CBS Sports tweet, the kitties are 0-8 in Elite 8 games.

That’s since 1964.

KSU has made 4 FFs in its history.

1948, 1958, 1964: lost in FF
1951: lost in NC game

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #30872 by HawkErrant
More on FF history:

SELECT ALL TIME FF APPEARANCES
thru 2023

THE LEADERS
UNC	    21
UCLA	    19
Duke	    17
Kentucky    17
Kansas	    16
SELECT OTHERS
UConn        6…

KSt          4
FL Atlantic  1
San Diego St 1
Miami        1
mOO   still  0 and counting…

Foreboding stat:
UConn has won the title 4 of the 5 previous times it has made the FF:

2009 was only time (so far) UConn made the FF and did not win the title.

Here’s hoping for a repeat of 2009 to keep them at 4 NCs (3 Calhoun, 1 Jolly).

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #30874 by Bayhawk
moo zero and stikll counting :P :lol: ;) B)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #30876 by NotOstertag
I have a good friend who is a UConn fan, so I'm happy for him and can't really find any reason to dislike them. They're not a rival when it comes to "blue bloodedness" even if they win it all. Sporadic success isn't a blueblood trait. I guess Hurley is a bit of an idiot, but I can't generate enough ire to get worked up.

My sister went to Miami and is a professor at FAU. She also follows college basketball about as closely as I follow underwater handball, so it's kind of funny to see her getting excited.

In terms of matchups, UConn will have their hand's full with Miami. I kind of love FAU as a dark horse and because they're REALLY trying hard to stick together like a family. Coach insisted that his team surround him when he did the postgame interview and publicly called out other programs for trying to illegally poach his players. I like that and San Diego State hasn't really hit my radar...ever.

I do like the idea of an FAU/UConn final. Both teams utilize true old-school post players with high skill levels, so it might be fun to watch a couple of skilled giants do battle. UConn on paper is the favorite, but just looking at everyone, it seems like it's a wide open group and should be fun to watch.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, newtonhawk

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #30888 by HawkErrant
I can truthfully say that I will be happy for any remaining team not named UConn to win it all. A petty beggar’s choice perhaps.

One, KU is tied with UConn at 4 NCAA titles right now, and I’d selfishly like to see it stay that way, especially as…

Two, back in the day we had a UConn ringer here who was a pretty obnoxious poster, and he soured me on UConn in spite of the fact that I liked and respected Jim Calhoun (and still do).

Yeah, it’s a little petty to hold such a grudge I reckon, but I do, so I guess I *am* a little petty on this topic.

I can live with that… easier than I’ll live with UConn winning it all again for the 5th time in just 6 Final Fours, compared to our beloved Jayhawks having only 4 in 16 Final Fours (.250 W/appearances), despite making the title game 10 times!:(
HC     FF NCG W
Phog    3  3  1
Harp    1  1  0
Brown   2  1  1
Roy     4  2  0
Bill    4  3  2

Among programs with 3 or more NCAAT titles, only Duke (5/17 = .294), UNC (6/21 = .286) and KU have sub .400 records when it comes to making the Final Four and sealing the deal with the title. UConn (4/5 so far), UCLA (11/18), IU (5/8, including 2 v Phog :() and Villanova (3/6) are all above .500, and UK (8/17) is just 1 loss under .500.

I’d really love to see Bill & KU succeed to the point that our Jayhawks are no longer on the bottom of that select list.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #30889 by konza63
Concur. Of all the teams left, anyone but UConn, please!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.