Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Impact of Self Being Out

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 1 month ago #30758 by replayloungehawk
I truly wonder if we'd have a different result if Self was coaching? Robert's did a fine job but I noticed out of time outs they didn't really execute anything. And Dick was non exisistent. I just wonder, as I'm sure many are, would things have been different if Self were back...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
1 year 1 month ago #30761 by CorpusJayhawk
Self=Best in game coach in college basketball
Roberts=Not generally a successful head coach

Therefore

Self > Roberts

Is that difference 1 point or 10? No objective way to determine. But I did not see a noticeable adjustment when Davis started going off. It sure seems to me that Self would have had some more effective plan to counter that.

Missed two front end of 1 and 1 FT’s, we hit those we win
Dajuan doesn’t go completely and utterly brain dead and get a 10 second call — without that we likely win
We allow an offensive rebound on a missed FT in crunch time. Without that we win
Udeh gets 3 moving screen fouls — without those we win
KJ does not box out allowing an offensive rebound and foul. Without that we win.

KU lost this game legitimately with a bunch of little mistakes. Arkansas made fewer mistakes. Game set match.

All of the above are completely preventable and coachable mistakes. Missing shots is just part of the game. But these mental mistakes are problematic

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, boulderhawk, KMT, newtonhawk

More
1 year 1 month ago #30763 by JRhawk
Thanks for the great summary. Missing those free throws is inexplicable. Arkansas just seemet to want it more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
1 year 1 month ago #30765 by Illhawk
I figured eventually the freshmen bigs would develop like KJ did late last year or our lack of size would prove our demise. I didn't expect the the errors to be so conspicuous. Give HCBS those weeks in practice and maybe Udeh is able to avoid an bad foul or two?
If he plays better KJs foul issues matter less.

It was a fun seasons.

Time to start building the next championship. .
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk

More
1 year 1 month ago #30777 by Senex68
test

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds