Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Self’s KU record update

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 1 month ago #30515 by HawkErrant
I received an email reply this morning from Chris Theisen, Assistant Athletics Director - Communications.

Bottom line - they are including the first 4 wins of this season in Self’s record.

Accordingly, should KU be fortunate enough to win 10 more games in March & April, Self will pass Phog Allen’s 590 KU wins this time around.

I will be adjusting the pinned thread tracking his record later today. Right now it’s INCOME TAX TIME!

Rock Chalk!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, wchawk, boulderhawk, Socalhawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
1 year 1 month ago #30525 by USAF Jayhawk
Not sure I like that. The Twitterverse was already being snarky about a 4 game suspension when the games weren't challenging (Yea, I know Duke was in there) and KU had made it clear that Self would not get credit. Now suddenly they are changing their mind? The optics aren't good. Non-KU folks will (and somewhat rightfully so) claim we're just padding his stats. KU needs to stay on the right side of this one...
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 1 month ago #30531 by HawkErrant
I read you 5x5, USAF!

IMO KU initially did the right thing in saying they would not count for/against Self, but they should have said the games would count for Norm Roberts, and not as "program" wins.

It would be different if they had started by saying that win or lose those games would still be counted against Self, similar to as if he had been out sick for that period.* It was still clearly his team and his staff who developed them functioning in his absence, and he was coming back for the rest of the season after that suspension. And if there had been losses (i.e., the Duke game, which thankfully was a W), those would have counted against his record, too.

However, KU has a history of not counting games missed as for the absent HC.

Best example critics can point to -- the 1946-47 season, when upon physician's directive, Doc Allen temporarily stepped down and Howard Engelman stepped up to coach the team for the last 14 games of that season.

Here are the current and historical records if they gave Roberts the 4 wins.

One could argue in that case versus the current case Allen was not coming back for that season and so it was appropriate to recognize Engleman's efforts, whereas Self was clearly still fully in charge of the program.

Shaky argument, though, given KU's initial stance. An utterly stupid thing to do, IMO. Give credit where due.

*Diagnosis: NCAAitis, a pretty nasty case, too...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk