Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Possibility of a 6-way tie for first this week

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 2 months ago #30254 by NotOstertag
While it probably WON'T happen, its possible that we could go into next weekend as part of a 6-way tie of teams tied for first in the conference at 6-3. Here's how it could go down:

Tonight
Baylor (5-3) plays at Texas (6-2). If Baylor wins, both are 6-3.
ISU (6-2) plays at TTech (1-7). If Tech somehow wins, ISU is 6-3.

Tomorrow
KSU (6-2) plays at KU (5-3). KU wins and both are 6-3.
WVU (1-7) plays at TCU (5-3). TCU wins and goes to 6-3.

Of these, realistically I think KU and TCU will win. Baylor/Texas is a toss up and I don't think Tech stands a chance vs. ISU. That more realistic scenario would leave ISU and maybe Texas at the top at 7-2 with a big logjam at 6-3.

Of course KU plays in Ames on Saturday, so the road doesn't get any easier. Also it's going to be very difficult for me to root FOR Baylor tonight. I think this might be a "hope a meteor hits the stadium" game.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, porthawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 2 months ago #30256 by HawkErrant
NotO's original post annotated to provide the complete Big 12 MBB schedule info for this week -- HE

NotOstertag wrote: While it probably WON'T happen, its possible that we could go into next weekend as part of a 6-way tie of teams tied for first in the conference at 6-3. Here's how it could go down:

Tonight
Baylor (5-3) plays at Texas (6-2). (8:00 PM ESPN) If Baylor wins, both are 6-3.
ISU (6-2) plays at TTech (1-7). (8:00 PM ESPN2) If Tech somehow wins, ISU is 6-3.

Tomorrow
KSU (6-2) plays at KU (5-3). (8:00 PM ESPN+) KU wins and both are 6-3.
WVU (1-7) plays at TCU (5-3). (8:00 PM ESPNU) TCU wins and goes to 6-3.

Wednesday
Bedlam 2023, Part 1
OKSt (3-5) plays at OU (2-6). (8:00 PM ESPN2) Not a factor in the first place struggle NotO details, but added here to complete the weekday games schedule -- HE

Of these, realistically I think KU and TCU will win. Baylor/Texas is a toss up and I don't think Tech stands a chance vs. ISU. That more realistic scenario would leave ISU and maybe Texas at the top at 7-2 with a big logjam at 6-3.

Of course KU plays in Ames on Saturday, so the road doesn't get any easier. Also it's going to be very difficult for me to root FOR Baylor tonight. I think this might be a "hope a meteor hits the stadium" game.

Great summation, NotO! Thanks!

I edited your comment above as noted as it saves me some time later today prepping my post for the KSt @KU game.

I will note that I agree with both KU and TCU winning, and I have a feeling that Baylor in Austin will be the only road win during the week. Before they played so poorly at mOO I would have given the ISU @TT game to the Cyclones, even though it is in Lubbock. But after Saturday, I think Tech has got a chance to get 'er done.

Fingers crossed your Gordian knot emerges over the next 34 hours!

ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

More
1 year 2 months ago #30264 by LKF_HAWK
Darn Horns

More
1 year 2 months ago #30265 by porthawk
Tech was down 59-36 with a little over 12 min left in regulation. They wound up winning in overtime.
www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...son-knock-iowa-state