Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

DEBACLE

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
1 year 3 months ago #30179 by konza63
What an embarrassment today. Run out of our own gym. Absolutely dismantled by a far better team.

Ugh.

No need for game analysis. Burn the tape.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
1 year 3 months ago #30180 by konza63
What shocked me the most about this curb-stomping was that it came on the heels of an emotional loss to our in-state rivals. Even if that loss Tuesday night had come against, say, an OU or WVU or some such, I think most of us would have bet the house on KU to bounce back at home. Especially with 3 days of rest, playing at home, in a nationally-televised game. But to have that sour taste of the KSU loss bouncing around in the guys' heads, not to mention them likely seeing the clips of the KSU celebration (including Tang up on the scorers table leading them in cheers), I thought today was going to clearly be a KU win. I didn't think it would be easy, by any stretch - TCU returned 6 starters and all their key scorers - but the historical norm would've had you pick KU 9x out of 10 today.

The story of Tuesday's game was KU had no developed depth to turn to in a foul-fest. The story of today's game was both our starters and our bench got the ever-loving crap beaten out of them.

Not good. And man are we in the midst of a gauntlet of a schedule. :(

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #30181 by AZhawk87
Self said last week that the guys were exhausted. Sure looked that way today, and such a lack of emotion from anyone but. KJ and Jalen.

If not exhaustion, then there is a personality issue showing up on this team.

Harris is out of sync and making tentative, bad passes and turnovers. McCullar has disappeared, and passed up open shots today. Dick is in a funk and missing shots. I watched Grady for most of the game. His defender expends almost no energy guarding him. GD stands at the arc, and moves around waiting for a pass. With that shooting weapon, why in the world are we not running his defenders off pick after pick after pick to make them work, then get Grady a shot. I just don’t understand the lack of attention to getting GD shots, or drives to the rim to get fouled.

But what I’m bummed about most, is the utter lack of development of almost every player. Pettiford does little except kill time. All fresmen combined other than Dick get less than 5 minutes of PT per game, and no one is showing anything other than filling space and setting picks. We don’t ever try to pass into the post, as we don’t have a post player with any post game to speak of. Our 5 star guard may never play at KU again.

And while Wilson is killing it from a scoring and hustle perspective, it takes a historic level of shots being taken by him to get those points. It’s a one man show right now, and we NEED a couple bright spots to step up. But I have no idea where those bright spots will come from if no one is getting playing time off the bench.

Tough time of the season, and hope it’s just a tired funk from playing so few players off the bench. Get the guys some rest and get them pumped up again !
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by AZhawk87.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk, boulderhawk

More
1 year 3 months ago #30183 by LKF_HAWK
Absolutely pathetic..all the guys should be embarrassed by that performance. It’s a cold day in hades when freaking TCU comes into the Phoy and administers a total beat down. I know the Big 12 is good, but there is no way that this should have happened. HCBS did not have them ready.