Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Most hated opponent: A POLL

Poll: Most Hated Opponent

Kensucky
5 35.7%
Puke
3 21.4%
Kitties
2 14.3%
Misery
3 21.4%
Other (specify in reply)
1 7.1%
Total number of voters: 14
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 2 months ago #30146 by Bayhawk
Our dear board member Niraj (LKF Hawk) hates losing to K-State. Who is your most hated opponent?

RCJHFL

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 2 months ago #30148 by HawkErrant
UK
1. They owe their foundational success to one of our own.

2. They lead us in the head-to-head meetings, 10-24.

3 They are “next” in all time wins, currently 8 behind KU as of yesterday’s game (+4 so far this season).

I really want to see (2) get better. As that happens, I believe it will imply the gap in (3) will increase as well.

Since they left our conference I never think of misery unless circumstances force it.

I wish I could ignore the gnats in Manhattan as well, but circumstances won’t allow it.

Duke? It remains to be seen if they will remain a consequential program now that Krzyzewski has retired. I’m thinking more like IU post Knight or UCLA post Wooden. Yes, the same will be said of KU when Self retires. We all know it is HIGHLY unlikely we will see something close to a Williams—> Self transition, but KU has had 3 hit hires in a row, so I feel comfortable KU will find someone to excel in the position once Bill is done.

We’ll worry about that when it happens.

Today is here, now.
Enjoy it!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, boulderhawk

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 2 months ago #30149 by Bayhawk
Gotta agree HE. My choice was based on personal interactions with pukies, but 'sucky is really the nemesis :angry:

RCJHGKU!

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
1 year 2 months ago #30153 by sasnak
I don't dislike the K State coach or their team members but their fans are some of THE biggest jerks and Misery is second.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, newtonhawk

More
1 year 2 months ago #30154 by LKF_HAWK
Bay- haha, I have a long list. Grapes are enemy #1 after their sucky fans made my daughter cry last night, then misery. Contucky because of their cheater/biased coach who tarnishes KU by association, Puke well just because they are puke and 1986, 1991..UCLA for all the tourney losses and U of A for 1997, and Syracuse for 1996/2003.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, newtonhawk

More
1 year 2 months ago #30155 by Socalhawk
HE, agree with post.
As far as Missery we have them 2 more times in BB 23-24 and 24-25 seasons plus FB 25-26 and 26-27 season. So sadly they are back, I too wish they would just go away.
RCJGKU

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #30159 by NotOstertag
I went with Duke, but if they don't return to Blue Blood status quickly, that will change as their pompus fan base (of whom I'm regularly exposed to) has no results to point to. They hold special disdain for me for fighting so hard to get the Rules. They have exactly zero connection to Dr. Naismith and their entitled "well, we'll just buy it" attitude tells you all you need to know about their fan base.

Kentucky has become a joke and it's now abundantly clear that Calipari is a serious underperformer. Most any other coach who has gotten his recruits over the years would have a whole lot more to show for it. The year that they printed those 30-0 tshirts in the preseason only to get bumped out of the NIT in the first round by Robert Morris is something they'll NEVER live down. I anticpate turmiol is coming there and they'll soon lose their spot in the Champion's classic.

K-State and MU are a close tie, but there are differences.

I'll root for KSU if KU is eliminated from a tournament. Not because I like them, but for the good of the conference. It's also hard to gin up much hate for a team that we've routinely beaten so many times. Another way to look at it: their fans will be talking about Tuesday's game for years. KU fans have already moved on and assuming we beat them at AFH will probably be celebrating for a matter of minutes rather than weeks/months/years.

Mizzou is just sad and pathetic. They ditched the conference where they had some relevancy to go to a conference where they had none and won't have any for the forseeable future. They're basically bumbling idiots who can't get out of their own way. The whole "Paige Auditorium" / "Oops she cheated so we have to change the name Stadium" is well beyond the creative talents of any comedy writer I can think of. Hating on Mizzou is kind of like going to your 40th high school reunion and encountering the school bully confined to a wheelchair, drooling into a bucket, and mentally impaired due to sopme kind of self-inflicted jack@zzery. Sure you hate who he WAS, but now he's so pathetic that you can't muster up the energy and you almost feel sorry for the bastard. But in the case of Mizzou, there's always some fan who will bark out some nonsensical comment when they're losing 47-4 ten minutes into the game that the refs are at fault. Ok, bubba, keep yelling. I really don't know why we waste energy playing these guys anymore only to breathe life into a rivalry that Missouri essentially surrendered.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by NotOstertag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, boulderhawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #30163 by konza63
Great poll, and honestly I think LKF_HAWK hit on the best list of programs I can't stand.

I also don't like UCONN (due to the troll on this board that HawkE and I had to contend with for years and their ridiculous run to 4 NCs in a very short span - compared with how long it took us to get ours, and viewed alongside our comparative historic program and the many times we should've gotten a crown but didn't). For personal reasons having to do with annoying fans in my proximity, I also don't like Michigan and Florida, but that's just me.

But as for the prime candidates, definitely my "Final Four" are and always will be Misery, Statie, Puke, and ConTucky - in no particular order. Misery for the historical series and the acute toxicity of their fan base. Statie for the historical series, their inferiority complex, and their increasingly Misery-level annoying fan base. Puke for Ratface and their Dallas Cowboys-like "America's Team" arrogance (and all the bandwagoners that has attracted over the years). And ConTucky for the ATW competition with us, their lead over us in crowns, the annoyance of their arrogant yet buck-toothed fan base, the Squid (no further comments necessary), Rupp and his racism, and just, well, everything.

The timing of this poll matters because of recency bias - honestly, right now I despise the Purps and their sheep-loving fan base more than anyone else. :P But that's because they just beat us and, sadly, I think they've hit a home run with Tang and we're going to have an actual, bona fide on-court rivalry going forward. (Assuming they don't piss down their leg and lose the guy to UT in the offseason)

But taking away that, and pocketing our absolute dominance over them in recent years (er, decades), I guess I'd go with: (1) ConTucky; (2) Misery; (3) Statie; (4) Puke (All separated by a hair)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, boulderhawk

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 2 months ago #30165 by HawkErrant
“Antigonish” (Ozark Haunting version)

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I saw a school who wasn’t there!
It wasn’t there again today,
Oh how I wish it’d go away!”

When I came home last night at three,
That school was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall,
I couldn’t see it there at all!

Go away, go away, don’t you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don’t slam the door…

Last night I saw upon the stair,
A little school who wasn’t there,
It wasn’t there again today
Oh, how I wish it’d go away…

Based on “Antigonish”
©1899 by William Hughes Mearns

Per the website nationalpoetryday.co.uk/poem/antigonish/
“Antigonish” is now in the public domain.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 2 months ago #30170 by HawkErrant
A question—

One RCBer voted for OTHER, but I do not read where anyone has claimed that vote and told us the team to whom they hate to lose most.

konza63 did note that he dislikes UConn, but at the end of his post he lists “ConTucky” in first, so it’s not clear if he voted OTHER for UConn in the poll but then reconsidered in his final analysis.

Come on, fess up… inquiring Jayhawk minds want to know!

And Thank You!

The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, Bayhawk