Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

“We’ve got to go take it.”

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 3 months ago #30121 by CorpusJayhawk
This is a quote by Self when asked how he communicates to the team when they get behind in these close games. This is one of the most appropriate quotes I have seen that sums up the coaching mentality and the team culture of this and most KU teams, emphatically exemplified by our 6th National Championship game last April. I have watched or followed a number of games this seasons where teams get behind or ahead down the stretch. Some teams seem to exhibit a “survive” mentality while others have a “let’s attack” mentality. I absolutely love this aspect of Self coached teams (most, unfortunately not every). This team has it in spades. I think guys like Wilson and McCullar and Harris simply never think any other way than go get it. Last year, Braun, Agbaji and McCormack, ditto. I think from a fan standpoint, it is great fun and joy to have a coach and team culture tHat never wilts, sags, or demurs. They have stretches where they play like crap buT they are always ready to turn on the afterburners when it counts. I told my wife last night when we were down by three down the stretch and seemingly a little out of sort, “this is when they turn on the defense and start running and attacking the rim on offense.” Sure enough, literally 5 of the next 6 Iowa State possessions were TO’s and the offense was attack attack attack. Boy those are fun to watch. I remember a story from Darnell Jackson when asked why the team in 2008 sort of seemed to let teams hang around for awhile and then at some point, the Jayhawks would switch gears and go on one of those patented runs. His response was, at some point every game, Mario would pull them together on the court and say “it’s time. Let’s do it”. And everyone knew what to do. This team sort of has that as did the team last season. But the team last season didn’t really get there until the end of conference play. This team is ahead of schedule in that regard.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak, hairyhawk, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.