Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

League Status 1/14/23

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 3 months ago #30120 by NotOstertag
Most of this is obvious, but here are some factoids about our confernce race:

>KU is 5-0, alone in 1st place.

>ISU/Texas/KSU are all 1 game behind, but interestingly, including KU all 4 teams have 2 road wins each.

>If you assume that you need at least 14 wins to have at least a share fo the conference championship, WVU and Tech are already out of it, unable to get to 14.

>KU can go 9-4 from here and still hit 14.

>Of the 3 tied at 4-1, KSU and ISU hold a slight edge over Texas since KSU and ISU are undefeated at home, and Texas lost to KSU in Austin.

Bottom line, KU is in the best place the can possibly be right now. I'm not confident that Texas will stay in the top end of the standings with their head coaching change. I also think Baylor isn't going to stay 0-whatever for very long (or Tech for that matter).

We're really seeing how tough the Big 12 is this year with so many close games. ANY advantage (2 road wins, 1 game lead on the field, etc.) is going to make a big difference down the road. No easy games coming up, but if we can hold our own in AFH, we only need a couple of road wins to sew things up...or maybe not. With the competitive nature of the league this year, it's possible tht 12-6 might be enough for a share of 1st place.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.