Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Great win! And lotsa love by Fraschilla

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #30069 by porthawk
Wasn't feeling good when we were down by 10, but the guys keet working and playing and chipping away....

I also wanted to add that I think it's hard not to appreciate Fran Fraschilla's continued praise for all things KU. Whether it be the individual players; our HOF; coach; our style of play; or the environment of AFH, FF shows a lot of love for KU. I bring it up b/c over many of the last 25 or so on the board, some/many of us have felt that some/many announcers were focusing more on the possible upset of KU the uneven positivity about the other team. Tonight, It took KU falling behind by 7 (55-48, I think) before there was really any legit upset talk (and rightfully so) by FF and Sciambi.

Anyone else know -- and agree (or disagree) -- what I'm referring to?

Thanks,
porthawk (Andrew)
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by porthawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
1 year 3 months ago #30070 by Socalhawk
Port,
I listen to Brian and Greg, so I do not know of what you speak.
RCJGKU
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
1 year 3 months ago #30073 by hairyhawk
I know what you are saying.I have no complaints about the commentators.

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
1 year 3 months ago #30076 by jaythawk1
porthawk (Andrew),

Don't know about the history of announcers...swiss cheese memory you know...

But I agree with you. And the fact that during the game they didn't focus so much on the possiblity of KU losing...well, they sure brought out the last win by OU in the Phog was 1993.

Rock Chalk!

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost

More
1 year 3 months ago #30081 by NotOstertag
I'm good with the John Sciambi / Fran Frashella combo on ESPN when they call our games. I think they do a good job.

As for Fraschilla specifically, he's had some "extra" exposure to KU since his son played hoops at Oklahoma for 4 years. I imagine between his normal sportscasting assignments and following his son when he was at OU, he's had some more in-depth exposure to KU and Self than most in his business.

I'm totally biased, but being around Self, our program, our fans, and our venue probably leaves a pretty favorable impression. Add to that any insights his son might have shared with him having to play against KU at least twice a year over his career, and he's probably much more knowledgeable about our program than others in his role.

Then again, it's really hard to poke holes in the success that Self has achieved at KU. The fact that we're back at the top of the polls yet again makes it hard to be a critic.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, Bayhawk, boulderhawk

More
1 year 3 months ago #30093 by USAF Jayhawk
I see in many places (KC Chiefs mostly) where fans constantly bitch that the commentators talk up the opponent and they take it personally. Fans need to realize that one of the commentators' primary responsibilities is to keep the drama up and maintain their audience share. The usually means making the team that is behind sound like they can still win ("upset") which often requires pointing out the flaws of the team that is leading. It's just live marketing, it's their job. Deal with it.

As for Fran, he clearly likes KU. but he also knows the game and usually makes smart, relevant comments. Much better than Dickie V (Hate to bad mouth a cancer survivor but...) who constantly wanders off on tangents, frequently discussing teams, players, and coaches that have nothing to do with the game he's at. All this while clearly being a big fan of Bill Self and KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, boulderhawk

More
1 year 3 months ago #30097 by LKF_HAWK
Great posts USAF. I enjoy the announcers that are able to bring insight into the nuances /technical aspects of the game. The marketing/drama piece, as you say, it’s their Job. Dickie V, while I do not care for his carnival act, I have nothing but respect for what he does for the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

More
1 year 3 months ago #30098 by NotOstertag
Guys I like:

Jay Bilas
Frashilla
Bobby Knight was a great color guy IMHO

Guys I can't stand:

Dukie V...sideshow, and mentions Duke all the time. "Dick, what did you have for lunch?" "I had Coach K's favorite...."

Bill Walton: guy is awful...like a hippie version of Vitale and blathers on about UCLA and the Pac 10 the way Vitale does about Duke

Brent Musberger from saying THE Allen Fieldhouse to just blatantly being uninformed he was terrible.

This is a partial list. Feel free to add. :D

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
1 year 3 months ago #30102 by asteroid
My A-team:

play-by-play: Dan Shulman
color: Jay Bilas

I am still partial to Bob Davis.

More
1 year 3 months ago #30103 by sasnak
NotO, you picked three of my favorites. I learned so much by listening to Bobby Knight

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
1 year 3 months ago #30104 by NotOstertag
Exactly. He was a master at breaking down and explaining plays. Look, I know we're all a bunch of armchair experts here, but to have somebody with that kind of depth of knowledge explain the X's and O's was like getting a master class. Sure he had lots of faults, but as a commentator he was fantastic.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak