Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Pay Heed All Who Enter - BEWARE OF "THE PHOG"

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #29935 by HawkErrant
A brief history of the banner.
In the future this post will be accessible via link in the pinned post KU Men's Basketball historical links

HISTORY OF THE “BEWARE OF "THE PHOG BANNER

The original banner hanging in Allen Fieldhouse late 1980s.[1] Source: ESPN Video: Beware of the Phog's Kansas legacy,

The original banner on display in the Booth Family Hall of Athletics. Picture: EP Dawson, 2022-10-24

Source: Lawrence Journal World, Thursday February 3, 2000.[2]

After the original, student-created banner was taken down for restoration and safekeeping, the first commercially created replacement banner made its debut on February 5, 2000 for the game against Texas Tech (KU 87, Tech 62).[3] Picture: J. Roever 2006-02-21

Current banner hanging in the north end of Allen Fieldhouse above the six National Championship banners. Designed to more closely resemble the original banner, it went into the rafters on July 20 2006.[4]
Picture: EPDawson, 2022-10-24

Current banner and NC banners at Late Night in The Phog 2022.[5] Source: www.payheedbanners.com/

TIMELINE

1988 early February
After some days of thought on the subject, during a particularly boring lecture KU senior Todd Gilmore writes down the words Pay Heed All Who Enter – BEWARE OF “THE PHOG and shows them to fellow senior Michael Gentemann, discussing the idea of making a banner to display in Allen Fieldhouse for the Duke game later that month. They draw up the plans and with the help of friends procure the necessary materials to create the banner.

1988-02-18 Thursday
Gentemann, Gilmore and 18 others meet in Marvin Hall and create the banner.

1988-02-19 Friday
Floyd Temple, Assistant Athletic Director – Facilities, agrees to hanging the banner, working with the students to put it on display.

1988-02-20 Saturday
Kansas hosts Duke, losing 70-74 in overtime.
The banner is taken down after the game.

1988-03-05 Saturday – SENIOR NIGHT
The banner is on display again as the program and the fans honor KU Seniors Danny Manning, Archie Marshall and Chris Piper.
After the game and the ceremonies it is taken down again and stowed away by its creators.

End of the 1988 Spring Semester
Graduating seniors Gilmore and Gentemann offer the banner to Phog Allen’s granddaughter Judy Morris. Morris contacts Floyd Temple and tells him the University should have the banner and it should be permanently displayed in Allen Fieldhouse. He agrees and makes it happen.

Todd Gilmore's listing of the people involved in the creation of the banner
Concept: Todd Gilmore
Lettering: Michael Gentemann
Painting: Todd, Mike, Brad Oliver, Larry Valenza, Scott Harrison, Neal Angrisano, Tom Kippenberger, Kevin Dervin, Michael Dervin, Hank Dickenson, Eric Miller, John Robinson, Mark Herschman, Todd Schnatzmeyer, and Mike Neighbors
Pizza: Eric Miller and Pizza Shoppe
Shower Curtains: Tom Kippenberger, Rob Evicker and his "friend who I don’t remember."
Sewing: Donna Griffin

SOURCES

1. ESPN Video: Beware of the Phog's Kansas legacy, directed by Josh Swade

2. News.google.com - LJW, 2000-02-03 New Banners the original banner was taken down for posterity and the new was raised along with 18 new replacement banners.*

3. Salina Journal, February 6, 2000
"Allen Fieldhouse had a new look for Saturday's game [KU 87, Texas Tech 62, Feb 5, 2000 - HawkErrant]. Nineteen new banners were raised to the rafters this week, replacing the well-worn originals. The banners honor Final Four teams, First-team All-Americans and Academic All-Americans for men's and women's teams, conference championships, national championships and members of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. A new sign was also raised high on the north end of the Fieldhouse with the warning, 'Pay Heed Those [sic] Who Enter, Beware of the Phog.'"*

4. KUSports.com: A banner day for KU barn - New signage unfurled in Allen Fieldhouse by Gary Bedore Thursday July 20, 2006

5. Payheedbanners.com: History of the Banner as recounted by the 1988 student creator Todd Gilmore

6. NCAA.com: The story behind Kansas's 'Beware of the Phog' banner by Jesse Newell, originally published in the Kansas City Star.

7. BEWARE OF THE PHOG: 50 Years of Allen Fieldhouse (August 1, 2004, by Doug Vance and Jeff Bollig).*

*Thanks to JayhawkSlant poster Mark933 for providing these sources. - HawkErrant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: added pics of the banner and more source details
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, boulderhawk, porthawk, KMT, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.