Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Beard Arrested!

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 3 months ago #29898 by replayloungehawk
Yikes...this doesn't sound good.

Beard Arrested
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
1 year 3 months ago #29899 by AZhawk87
4 am arrest that includes strangling. Uh oh.

More
1 year 3 months ago #29906 by sasnak

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
1 year 3 months ago #29908 by konza63
If you read the affidavit from the victim (purportedly his fiancé), this should be an open-and-shut case of domestic abuse. And he needs to be fired. Period.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
1 year 3 months ago #29910 by NotOstertag
The basketball fan in me wishes it weren't true as I think he's a good coach and makes the Big 12 a stronger conference.

All that said, if you read the police report, it's 100% bad and he's done (and rightfully so).

The only chance he has is if his fiance drops the charges, but it's probably already too late for that. In his attorney's statement, it indicated that he had an audio recording that would exonerate him and that she wasn't going to pursue charges. In the end, the charges will be vs. "the State of Texas" so it's not necessariliy her choice whether a case goes forward.

Nevertheless after reading everything, his story is doubtful at best. It's hard to prove that it was some kind of self defense thing if she's the one with the bruses and scrapes, and his only "injury" is a broken pair of glasses.

Bummer for Texas and the Big 12, but if that's who he is in real life, I have trouble finding any sympathy for him.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

• konza63
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #29911 by konza63
I agree with you completely, but would just add 3 points:

* Texas would have no problem finding another coach. (Too big and rich with resources)

* Purportedly, Beard and the program have swept under the rug the fact that they’re actively playing a guy who also had a police episode of violent domestic abuse. Maybe a pattern here?

* Texas will soon be the SEC’s problem, not ours. Good riddance.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, hoshi

More
1 year 3 months ago #29912 by CorpusJayhawk
“I was not the instigator”!! What? That sounds like “she hit me first so when I choked her it was justified.” I’m sorry Mr. Beard but it does not work that way. I have been privy to marital strife and my advice has been loud and clear and consistent. DISENGAGE!!! Perhaps it is my antiquated midwestern upbringing in the old days of the 60’s and 70’s. But in my world, it is never okay to use your power and force against a weaker person for anything other than true and necessary self-protection and self-preservation. “She hit me first” is not an excuse it is an admission. WALK AWAY dude. She may be the instigator and she may be a total b$#%h. But you have two legs. Walk away. Few things get my blood boiling more than abuse of the weak (children, old people, women etc.). Bullying of any kind is heinously repugnant. I am proud to say I have had several occasions in my life to step in to stop bullying at no insignificant risk to myself. I have compassion for all people who battle various demons in their lives and Beard may be battling some demons. But having said that, I am an ardent supporter of just, swift and proportional consequences for transgressions. If he worked for me I would offer him help to solve his issues, but I would not help to take away the consequences of his actions. But being in a high profile position of leadership as he is, UT has little option other than to suspend him and if he is convicted (or even found to be guilty by agreement) he should be fired. At the same time I would hope UT offers to help him by getting him counseling. And a piece of advice for his fiancé’. If he did as accused, you are helping no one by recanting and not supporting charges,. You are not helping yourself, him, or society at large. Lack of consequences is the greatest way to assure continued behavioral decay.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, hoshi, jaythawk1

More
1 year 3 months ago #29913 by hoshi
Eloquently stated Corpus. I also took considerable risks to help three people leave abusive relationships, and more important, I am the father of three married daughters. I have zero tolerance for bullying, when the individual does not seek help.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
1 year 3 months ago #29914 by jaythawk1
Agree!

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #29916 by USAF Jayhawk
First off, there's a lot of jumping to conclusions, let the system play out before we hang him. I hate bullies as much as the next guy, but the media has a way of overly dramatizing stories to sell copy. Innocent until proven guilty.

I thought about the "State of T vs..." angle and legally that's probably true, but if she refused to press charges and she is a fiancé then I suspect there's a chance she won't testify then there's most likely no case. The reason many domestic abuse cases go away...

edit: If in fact he did it, then keeping his job will be the least of his worries.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by USAF Jayhawk.

• konza63
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #29919 by konza63
Speaking just for me, I was just going off of the 3-page affidavit, including the police documentation of physical injuries on the woman’s body.

Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by konza63.

More
1 year 3 months ago #29920 by sasnak
Me too (no pun intended). The bite marks and a "scrape" on her leg from knee to ankle are what got my attention

It'll feel better when it stops hurting