Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk! Winning BIG in the Hellmouth

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #29884 by HawkErrant
Yeah, baby!

KANSAS 95 mOO 67 in Meth Central
175-95 (176-95 counting the 2017 Hurricane Relief charity game)

NOVEMBER 2022
mOO fans are drooling at the prospect of possibly beating KANSAS twice in December.

DECEMBER 2022
Missouri announces it is turning down the Liberty Bowl offer to play KANSAS for a share of $4.7M and opts to play Wake Forest in the Gasparilla Bowl for a share of $1.125M instead.

mOO football dodging the Jayhawks?

Ouch, that hurts!
(Yeah, I know their stories, and I know how the rest of the sports world who say "M Who?" are asking "Why are they dodging KANSAS in football?!? Really?!?!"
Embarrassing!

Even USAToday (as well as anyone who has no ties to mOO) says so...
USAToday (2022-12-02): Cowardly Missouri reportedly passes on Liberty in favor of security
(Get the double entendre?)

Then comes tonight, and their hopes for their hoops team brutally shattered by KANSAS.

By the half fans were sitting stony faced, totally taken out of the game by the Jayhawks.

With several minutes still left in the game, as the Jayhawks recovered from the mOO second half attempt to climb back into the game, the announcers stated some of the sweetest words I have ever heard associated with a sports contest - "Mizzou fans are starting to find their ways to the exits."

Mitch could have told them...

And then there is this...

Pity the poor mOO fan -- NOT!

GO WAKE FOREST! BEAT mOO!

GO JAYHAWKS! BUTCHER THEM HOGS!

ROCK CHALK! JAYHAWK! KU!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
1 year 4 months ago #29887 by konza63
It was a fantastic win in every way. All levels.

I was really impressed with how we came right out of the gate composed, with great energy, and displaying tremendous execution and efficiency. Our offense in the first 10 minutes was stratospheric.

The starting 5 were truly exceptional today. Not much from the bench, but we didn't need it in the end. With like 10 minutes to go, McCullar (21) and KJ (with 19) were our top scorers - who, I ask, had THAT on their Bingo card for our trip to MU?

One thing I noticed early was that our high-low entry passes were just exquisite - first time all year we've really shown that look and executed them. I attribute that to one of the following - or all three:

* Self had a week of practice to work on it in depth, and we got it down pat

* Self deliberately held it back (and off the film) prior to this game, knowing he wanted to roll it out in the arsenal starting with this circled game

* We were able to exploit Misery's lack of inside height - essentially their 5 guarding KJ was the same size, but KJ has superior strength, ups, and athleticism. Difference-maker.

Whatever it was, the emergence of KJ as a strong inside presence (and that includes fantastic passer today, by the way) is a major story if the trend line continues ahead. There will be games, no doubt, where we'll need a bigger body in there for some minutes and stretches - given bad matchups - but as of now it's looking like KJ's position and job to lose.

Great, great win over the despised ones in Columbia.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
1 year 4 months ago #29889 by USAF Jayhawk
I wouldn't completely did the bench. Bobby and Joe provided some good minutes.

More
1 year 4 months ago #29890 by AZhawk87
1. MU was just awful (except for a stretch in second half when we lost interest for a while). A bunch of mid major portal transfers, and an unknown coach who the announcer worked way to hard to prop up. Their offense was all one on one, with no discernible game plan. They’ll have a very long season ahead. And I love it !!

2. Dumbest sign of the day - “Harris, you chose the wrong school”. Really tiggers?? Isn’t that just a little embarrassing?

3. Worst job by Vegas bookmakers ever. Game started with KU a 3.5 pt favorite. At half it had risen to 13.5 pts.

4. What’s up with Rice. I think he played one minute of real game time, and a couple minutes of mop up time. He looked very negative on the bench. At one time out he worked his way to the outside of the circle and wasn’t paying attention. Hope that get straighten out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
More
1 year 4 months ago #29891 by konza63
I didn't catch that with Rice - will have to watch him and his body language a bit more closely starting with Indiana.

The one thing I would underscore to all of the younger guys is "Patience, Grasshopper." The starting 5 are out there a lot because they've either paid their dues and worked their tails off for several seasons (Jalen, Dajuan, Kevin with TT), they have superior court talent (Gradey), or they are the farthest along in filling a need (KJ). I would also really home in on Jalen in talking to them about patience, playing time, and immense personal growth. I'm sure we all remember him his freshman year. There were many times during that season when you could openly see his frustration with his role, his lack of fitting in fully in the attack, his coach, and so on. I remember thinking multiple times that his body language was so bad that I could see him transferring out. But then by last year, things were starting to click. And Jalen himself watched the process - the transformation - that occurs in Bill Self's players when they are patient, when they buy in, when they put in the work, and when they put team over self. He saw it with Och, who is the poster child for how amazingly kids can grow and prosper under Self. (With Frank, Graham, and so many before him)

Just like Och last year, now we are witnessing the full transformation and end point of the process with Jalen - who, just amazingly, is now being compared openly by the likes of Jimmy Dykes to Och last year. And who is a freaking double-double machine. Not only that, but when you hear him in the interviews, you see the most calm, collected, and wise leader. It's a beautiful thing. That can be yours, MJ (and the rest of the guys on the pine). Just be patient, buy in, put in the work, and trust in Self, the other coaches, and the process.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, newtonhawk

More
1 year 4 months ago #29892 by AZhawk87
I think all of us from a certain generation see the value of patience, growth and maturity.

But, this current generation knows NIL, transfer portal, immediate gratification, etc. Also,, if you’re a 5 start kid who doesn’t shine immediately, I think there’s a negative stigma that gets solved easier by moving quickly to a program that will let you play - i.e. Quentin Grimes.

It’s amazing that just n the span of Wilson’s own career at KU, we’ve gone from sitting out a year for a transfer, to covid and extra year of eligibility, to transfer portal with no consequence to transferring (even in the same conference) to NIL, to icons like K, Williams and Jay Wright no longer in the game.

That’s a lot for a kid like Rice to have to consider.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 4 months ago #29894 by HawkErrant

AZhawk87 wrote: …
It’s amazing that just n the span of Wilson’s own career at KU, we’ve gone from sitting out a year for a transfer, to covid and extra year of eligibility, to transfer portal with no consequence to transferring (even in the same conference) to NIL, to icons like K, Williams and Jay Wright no longer in the game.

That’s a lot for a kid like Rice to have to consider.

Add in the very strong likelihood that 77 year old Jim Boeheim, the only other remaining iconic coach besides Self, retires in the very near future and the college hoops landscape will have been almost totally altered. It’s a heckuva lot for anyone, let alone a teenager, to have to consider.
ESPN: The challenges of Jim Boeheim's inevitable retirement from Syracuse college basketball

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
1 year 4 months ago #29897 by NotOstertag
I kind of feel like Mizzou is like the whining Shockers at WSU a few years ago that were begging KU to play them. There's really not much in it for us, and clearly they benefit from us playing more than we do. I don't think they were filling up the "Oops, better rename this stadium because the donor's daugther got kicked out for cheating" Arena before KU was scheduled, and I don't think they will going forward. So why give them the payday?

I kind of feel like we need to issue a statement something along the lines of, "while the historical rivalry is a fun distraction, KU needs to carefully curate its non-conference schedule and until Missouri becomes a more competitive basketball program, we'll be limiting these rivalry games to to a more periodic cadence. We also don't thinkg it's sporting to 'run up' KU's 174-95 vs. the Tigers while their program is struggling to find its footing in D1."

Too much?

Nevertheless the outcome of Saturday's game couldn't have been any better. The Tiggers were never a factor, and the fans' hopes were crushed. Mission accomplished. Hell, even Norm Stewart was there to see how far they've fallen with all the poor decisions they've made since he retired. Kinda feel sorry for the guy.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk

More
1 year 4 months ago #29900 by Kong
I actually thought the dumbest sign of the day was by the person holding up the sign "5 Level 1 Violations". Why? Because it was being held up by their football coach. First, that is some absolute nerve when your program just ran away from playing KU in football to get out there with that was truly weak sauce. Second, how pathetic is that? Can you imagine any other D1 Power 5 conference coach doing something as sophomoric as that?

That program really is the bottom of the barrel.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, boulderhawk, porthawk, newtonhawk

• konza63
More
1 year 4 months ago #29902 by konza63
Agree with your take on the game, NotO. I didn’t notice, but did you get your calling card of a crying MU cheerleader on camera at any point? :cheer: :P

• konza63
More
1 year 4 months ago #29903 by konza63
Spot on, Kong. And that stunt by the football coach was absolutely the epitome of pathetic.

PS: KU fans had a field day modifying the coward’s sign. :P

The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk

More
1 year 4 months ago #29905 by AZhawk87
I didn’t see that sign, and I agree, it’s’ the worst.

I just laugh at the Weber’s and this guy, who act like not one single kid who ever played for them took money from an alum, had help on a test, took a class designed to get athletes passing grades, got a free meal from a local restaurant, drove a free car that was “loaned” by an alum, got free tickets to games, etc.

It’s like the baseball steroid era. I can attest from personal knowledge that most EVERYONE knew about steroids, uppers, downers, etc. in locker rooms. then when it became public, athletes and reporters and fans acted astonished and as if it was the greatest sin ever perpetrated on sports. this guy is a chump.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant