Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Perspective

• hoshi
  • hoshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 4 months ago #29840 by hoshi
The loss to Tennessee was painful. Remember the loss to UK last year? Perspective!

Last night we beat a less than stellar team who had won one previous game against Pac10 team, ASU. ASU is currently 6/1 with the second best record of all PAC 12. Perspective!

We beat NCS in the Bahamas, who them finished 2/1 with their only loss to KU. Perspective

We beat Wisconsin, who then finished 2/1 with their only loss to KU. Perspective

Are we as good as last year. NO! Could we be, maybe, especially if Jesufu, MJ and KJ can play consistently like last night.

The next three games will tell us more than the first 8 games. Seton Hall and Indiana will be tough. Even Missouri will be a challenge.

Other perspectives welcomed.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, porthawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
1 year 4 months ago #29841 by AZhawk87
Thanks Hoshi. I was just logging on to ponder the same thoughts. So I'll do an update on my current observation on some issues/items.

1. I finally have accepted that under Bill Self, we will look awful at times early on. It's his plan. It's a plan that works by building on adversity. Bring the guys along slowly, and get buy in on defense and limiting mistakes. Never let the guys get full of themselves or stop working at getting better. I watched Dick start like an all american, only to disappear for a couple games. I think Self loves that. Bring the freshman back down to earth, and make him work back to dominance (he absolutely will dominate by end of year). Throw Zach in with two freshmen to fight out who will become the go to big. But also let KJ Adams get most of the minutes as he's showing how to play the Self way (and looking great at it). I think Self likes losing early to a good team. All the better to show the kids how far they have to go to win it all. I'm a big supporter now of enjoying the ride, and accepting the frustrations that are part of Self's plan in the early going.

2. Pettiford looks like he just can't stay healthy. I have high hopes for him, but sure hope he can get past the injury bug. i'm not sold on Yesefu being a KU level talent, so bobby P needs to get healthy.

3. Zach is a big disappointment so far (maybe the only disappointment I can think of so far with this team). I thought he'd be a Gonzaga type big, but he's falling way down the priority ladder right now. He has shown little inside skill, and isn't making his threes. I still think he's going to be very very good, but it may take four years to see it.

4. This team feels like the old Releford teams - tough as nails, never feel like they're out of it, and will win many games on guts alone. I like what I'm seeing from this team in terms of personality.

5. Harris is a big time winner, but despite what Self and the TV announcers say, he's not the third best shooter on the team. I'm fine with his scoop drives, but please stay away from the three.

6. I have no real idea who MJ Rice is, or what he can do. I heard last night that he's only been able to practice a few times this year. He looked very good last night, but not sure what his role is for this season.

7. I have a good feeling about how good this team can be, but we need a big to step up and become a factor.

Rock Chalk - and enjoying this season already.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, Bayhawk, porthawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #29844 by HawkErrant

AZhawk87 wrote: Thanks Hoshi. I was just logging on to ponder the same thoughts. So I'll do an update on my current observation on some issues/items.

5. Harris is a big time winner, but despite what Self and the TV announcers say, he's not the third best shooter on the team. I'm fine with his scoop drives, but please stay away from the three.

6. I have no real idea who MJ Rice is, or what he can do. I heard last night that he's only been able to practice a few times this year. He looked very good last night, but not sure what his role is for this season.

7. I have a good feeling about how good this team can be, but we need a big to step up and become a factor.

Rock Chalk - and enjoying this season already.

Thanks hoshi and AZ!

AZ, I quoted three items of yours to address.

First on Dajuan. For me, when he is open, I want him taking the 3. Looking at Jayhawks with 10+ attempts through 8 games, only Gradey has a better %. And based on what I am seeing (excellent form), I believe not passing on open opportunities will improve his %. He is not *the man* we want first when it comes to needing a 3, but when open I have confidence he will make it if he takes it often enough to please HCBS and fans and give opponents pause about leaving him open.

On MJ… he has a huge upside that we had yet to see a glimpse of until last game because of health issues.

How huge? Remember that he was right behind Gradey Dick in Rivals 2022 recruiting rankings (27 & 28), and equally highly ranked by 247Sports (25) and ESPN (30). There was a lot of talk that he was going to skip college completely, he was that highly thought of as a scorer.

Assuming he can stay healthy the rest of the way, *and* as/if his defense improves, his PT will increase accordingly. I fully expect that later in the season we will see him getting starter minutes and being grouped with Jalen and Gradey as our biggest scoring threats. IMO his development and KU developing a real big for the 5 are the two remaining biggest keys to KU winning the Big 12 again and having any chance of repeating as NCAA champions.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, Bayhawk, porthawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1