Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Five-star basketball recruit Udoka Azubuike picks Kansas

• Sieverling
  • Sieverling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 2 months ago #2761 by Sieverling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2762 by Bayhawk
Put that in the pipe the HCBS naysayers have been smoking. :evil:

We needed some good news . . . ;)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Bayhawk.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #2763 by HawkErrant
That is GREAT news!

That leaves at least one more scholly open for next year before allowing for any early entrants or transfers.

Would love for KUMBB to grab at least one more 5 star or top rated 4 star recruit, sooner rather than later, please!

And WELCOME to UA!

(Our Navy and Marines folks are shaking their heads at those initials, wondering if they are prophetic for the rest of this KUMBB season?) :woohoo:
:evil:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• Sieverling
  • Sieverling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 2 months ago #2764 by Sieverling
RC

Hic manebimus optime

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #2765 by konza63
Nice get. And definitely some needed good news.

I meant to watch the announcement live, but forgot to set the reminder.

Quick thoughts:

Too bad he can't play now--he'd look good opposite Perry!

A player with that size should enable Self to get back to pounding it inside (as a necessary compliment to the 3-ball), assuming the staff can develop him properly.

We're used to the Baylors and West Virginias getting huge behemoths like this...it'll be nice to have a beast of our own.

I wonder if this ensures Diallo will leave for the league (based purely on potential at this point).

Congrats to Coach and the staff.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #2766 by Bayhawk
:P

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #2768 by konza63
Quick-hit and concise, but good:

NOW...if we can land the super-talented wing Josh Jackson (ESPN #3 overall, Rivals #1 overall), who is one of the few remaining elite players on the board and will be in AFH for the KU-UK showdown Saturday , we will be shaping up quite nicely for next year.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2769 by konza63
It took all of 2 seconds before everyone gave up trying to properly pronounce Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk's name...and it's pretty easy to see the writing on the wall with our new recruit.

So fire away, RCBers--what do you think?

I'll start the bidding:

Az (as in the Land of Oz)

Wizard of Az

UofA (though I guess that's a hat tip to Zona--never mind!)

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #2771 by konza63

More
8 years 2 months ago #2772 by JRhawk
Yes please not UofA. On a brighter note, the dear Wildcats lost to Oregon in Tuscon, ending their 49 game home winning streak. Sweet.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2773 by konza63
It's always a fine night when Zona goes down.

PS: That's all you've got to say on this, JRhawk? :P

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #2776 by Illhawk
I know it is unlikely , but for an instant I let myself imagine our bigs rotation if both freshmen were to return. LL could settle into a roll as a banger/ minutes eater and the others do the scoring and shot blocking.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #3098 by HawkErrant
Bump so others can easily see all the great UA links previously posted in this thread.

Per yesterday interview with Scout.com, Rivals overall #1 and Napa, CA resident Josh Jackson (SG) is down to KU, Michigan State and >cough, cough< UofA.
Josh Jackson talks Kansas visit and last three.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #3107 by DrJHawker
Once Hudy has a chance to work with him.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #3110 by konza63
I proposed a nickname contest earlier for the behemoth Azubuike.

I kind of like "Az" as in "the great and all-powerful Oz," but we shall see what sticks to him over time. (I'm sure Self and the teammates will have some good suggestions)

UA always makes me think of UofA (Arizona--blecch!), or a company like Under Armour or United Airlines.

But to your more important point, Hudy only needs to turn some of that baby fit into muscle. The dude is already a wooly mammoth! And he's our wooly mammoth! Kinda reminds me of Tarik!

More
8 years 2 months ago #3349 by DrJHawker

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #3354 by HawkErrant
RECRUITING SERVICE RANKINGS OF KU 2016-17 COMMITMENTS

RANK/STARS
PLAYER           RIVALS     ESPN    SCOUT   247SPORTS       
Udoka Azubuike    #27/5     #22/5   #36/4    #28/4
Mitch Lightfoot  #117/3     #64/4    NR/3   #113/4

They are fairly consistent with Udoka. 247 has him just missing the 5 star cut, and Scout is the only one with him out of the top 30.

But it seems there is quite the difference of opinion on Mitch.

ESPN rates him a Top 100 4 star (#64, quite respectable), and 247 has him just outside the Top 100, but still a 4 star. Rivals's ranking only differs from 247's by 4 spots, but they rate him a 3 star. Scout's data seems really old (only one to list him at 6-7/200) and does not rank him, despite a really nice write up ("one of the west's most sought after prospects") back in October 2015 ( Lightfoot commits to KU ). Scout is also the only service calling him a C. The rest label him, despite his size (6-8, 210), as a PF. Would love it if he turns out to be one, but at 210 he's gonna need some Hudy.