Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Perry Ellis - I apologize

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #2754 by AZhawk87
For a year I have posted here how our team has been held back by the reliance on Perry as the team leader. I talked about his lack of emotion, and his obvious lack of even the desire to try to lead others. I suggested that Self give the reins to Wayne and Frank, and then we would take off. Wow, was I wrong.

What I've seen over the past three disastrous weeks, is that Perry has lead by example - every single game. He shows up, works hard, and does exactly what Perry does. Nothing more, nothing less. He consistently delivers what we expect from him.

Perry's consistency is the most meaningful leadership on a team now devoid of leadership, even from the coaching staff. Others are imploding, including Self in my opinion. But, Perry just delivers.

He has gone from the player I most wanted to graduate and leave, to the player that I will always have the utmost respect for in terms of how he has carried himself while the world around him has fallen into chaos.

Well done Perry. You are the bright spot for me in an otherwise joyless season. Jayhawk forever.

Rock Chalk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling, konza63, gorillahawk, texkan, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #2757 by Bayhawk
I have found time to be unkind to many of my beliefs. Check out this Herbert J. Muller quote (my favorite):

"It has become too easy to see that the luckless men of the past lived by mistaken, even absurd beliefs, so we may well fail in a decent respect for them, and forget that historians of the future will point out that we too lived by myths."

One thing never changes: Rock Chalk for life!!

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
8 years 2 months ago #2760 by hairyhawk
In the ISU game Perry actually late in the game got a call when a post man fouled him on the way up. I know throughout his career here he has been given a lot of grief because he does not go up strong. For some reason he never gets that call. The call against Niang after the game had been pretty much decided was one of the very few times he has gotten that call. The defenders drape there arms over him and as he goes up they hit his arms and sometimes prevent him from even jumping. I do not know if the Zebras think the defender is vertical or is getting all ball or is not making contact but it is truly amazing. I think it was against TCU that he went up the defender hit his arm so hard he lost the ball. he grabbed it before it got too far and went back up and the defender hit his arm again. He went through the contact and made the shot but still no foul called. Between that and his ability to make very minor contact on defense and be whistled every time. Which makes him the world leader in 3 point plays allowed.