Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

SEC staying at 16?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 9 months ago #29470 by HawkErrant
Yes, according to this report - for now.
Footballscoop.com: SEC reportedly reaches expansion decision
The Big Ten's addition of USC and UCLA was a single strike, not the first volley in an all out aerial assault.
by Zach Barnett

I would point out that this should come as no surprise to anyone who has been following conference realignment news. The remaining desirables (talking beyond Notre Dame CFB, who most think would go B1G today despite their ACC contract requirements if theIr access to the CFB playoffs was blocked as an independent, but otherwise won’t budge) are tied into the ACC’s GOR until 2036 (e.g., Clemson, FSU, UNC).

Seems pretty clear to me from reading the tea leaves that the next possible shift before the ACC GOR expires will be driven by the upcoming media contract negotiations for the Pac12-2 and then the Big 12. And if the Big 12 expansion team is not working with media sources today to get projections of the $$$ impact of adding Pac12-2 teams to the Big 12 to make it the undeniable 3rd conference after the SEC & B1G, then those folks are not doing their jobs. Everything I am reading today indicates all the Pac12-2 teams rightly want to see the projected dollar difference between staying where they are and moving before making any decisions. And who can blame them?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.