Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

New Big 12 organization - still 2 divisions? Look at Pac12? ACC?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 9 months ago #29427 by HawkErrant
Back in January the B12 was looking to do a two 7 team divisions format for 2023 and 2024, then a two 6 team divisions format beginning in 2025.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-engaged-in-plans-to-split-into-two-seven-team-divisions-beginning-in-2023-amid-realignment/

The above article was published on January 18, 4 months before the NCAA Division 1 Council made the decision to remove the division format requirement for holding a conference football championship game. This decision has led to both the Pac-12 and ACC dropping the division structure.

Is anyone aware of anything more recent on this issue from the Big 12 since the May 18 NCAA decision?

I’m really hoping we don’t see divisions again. With the NCAA change, I just don’t see the need.

Here’s what the ACC is doing for football. I haven’t seen their plans for how hoops would work.

Full tweet text: The ACC announces it will go to a 3-3-5 scheduling model in 2023, with each team featuring 3 permanent annual opponents and 5 rotating opponents. Divisions will be eliminated. The title game will have the top two teams based on league winning percentage.

The permanent opponents:

Notably absent in the above — Notre Dame.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 9 months ago #29428 by HawkErrant
I would add what I’ve said before-

HOOPS: Allowing that 2023 & 2024 are flux, going forward once OUt are gone with just 12 schools in the conference, I’d like no divisions and keep the full round robin schedule. Within the 31 game regular season schedule limit, 22 conference games still allow for 9 nonconference games in which to fit the SEC and Big East challenges, along with 7 other noncon foes.

FOOTBALL: Keep the schedule at 9 conference and 3 noncon games. Scrap the idea of “must play annually” rivalry games to simplify rotating the schedules so that every 11 years every program plays every other program 9 times.

With the new conference lineups there really won’t be any traditional rivalries left except KU v KSU.
I think it’s stupid to increase the difficulty in scheduling when there would only be the one rivalry game lost every 2 years out of 11.

Or another option I’d be fine with for the new 12 team FBS conference — 1 noncon game for the season opener and then 11 conference games so everyone plays everyone every season.

The 11 game conference schedule could be further facilitated if the NCAA okayed a 14 game regular season, thus allowing teams to keep 3 noncons to go with their 11 conference challenges. But I don’t see that happening… yet.

Remember the 10 game schedule was the limit for years until it got bumped to 12.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
1 year 9 months ago #29429 by USAF Jayhawk
I thought I read somewhere that HCBS wanted to keep conference play at 18 games. He liked the non-conf portion (I suspect because it helps the conference get higher seeds in the tourney) and didn't want to lose 4 of those games. I suspect that means B12 teams beating up on each other even more is a disincentive to a 22 game conf schedule.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 9 months ago #29431 by HawkErrant
From what I have read pundits believe that for basketball the Big 12 — far and away the current top conference — will be even stronger with the adds of Cincy, UH and BYU… and perhaps so even after OUt leave in 2025… i.e., adding those 3 + UCF will be more than an offset to losing OUt as far as hoops are concerned.

So as long as the B12 teams keep whooping up on noncon foes, postseason placements shouldn’t be an issue. And 20 or more conference game seasons are not unknown now (e.g., ACC 2022 had a 20 game season).

It might indeed mean not getting some of the easy NOV-DEC warm up games, making the noncon that much harder with fewer “we got this” games up front.

I doubt the full round Robin will be retained, despite my desires. Either way, divisions are not required, and I hope will not be adopted.