Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

It's Fish or Cut Bait week

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #29334 by HawkErrant
Wednesday is June 1, and we will know for certain whether or not Jalen Wilson and Kevin McCullar will play for KU next AY or stay in the NBA draft, come what may.

Should they return -- barring some late transfer out (highly unlikely since the "transfer and play next fall" deadline was May 1), someone giving up their ride and walking on instead (where have you gone, Brady Morningstar? KU Nation turns its eyes to you....) or some other unforeseen loss -- KU will have its AY2022-23 roster set. No remaining scholarships to give.

Should either one or both stay in the NBA draft, KU will have either 1 or 2 rides left to give for next AY.

With ISU freshman transfer Tyrese Hunter recently committing to Texas, the primary KU candidates for those 1 or 2 spots are currently:

Isiaih Mosely G Missouri St Senior (2 years eligibility to play 2)
Isiaih Mosley stats

Courtney Ramey G Texas Super Senior (1 year eligibility to play 1)
Courtney Ramey stats

But of note (despite all the talk on KU fan sites about Ramey possibly landing at KU), back on April 7 and again on May 4, si.com did not list KU as interested in Ramey, or vice versa. I cannot find anything more recent from any source I've searched to indicate otherwise.

If KU has only 1 slot to fill, Mosley is my personal pick to fill it.
Seems like he would fit well with the current team psych-wise and he replaces the great shooter that KU loses with Remy gone.
Plus I do like the idea of two kids from Columbia playing against mOO this fall.

If Ramey really is not interested in KU (or vice versa), I am wondering what other options HCBS & Co are looking at if neither JWil nor KMac find their way to KU for next AY?

According to cbssports.com the following other Top 25 transfers are still undecided as of Saturday May 28 about where to play next AY...

Malachi Smith G Chattanooga (3 years to play 2) Malachi Smith stats
AJ Green G Northern Iowa (super senior 1 year) AJ Green stats
Pete Nance F Northwestern (super senior 1 year) Pete Nance stats

Anybody have their own favorites, either from the above options or beyond?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk, boulderhawk, porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 10 months ago #29335 by HawkErrant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 10 months ago #29336 by HawkErrant
Actually written 4 days ago to recap the latest Hawk Talk comments by HCBS.

KUSports.com - Tait: Kansas basketball coach Bill Self provides updates on pro prospects of 7 members of 2021-22 national title team

Note the HCBS comment on DAVE:
…saying once more that he believes McCormack’s jersey deserves to hang in the Allen Fieldhouse rafters one day.

“Those last two baskets he made to win that (title) game, I mean those were big boy plays,” Self said Thursday. “David played at a ridiculously high level. All those people that doubted David — and maybe there was a time or two I did a little bit — should all basically owe him some form of gratitude or apology. He showed everybody he could put us on his back and carry us when it counted the most.”

Get it done, Coach, get it done.

To quote a comment to the article:

Commenter Brian Skelly:
“-- the human heartburn machine (being) the one who hit the big shots to win it had a level of satisfaction and fulfillment that was just off the charts. Trying to explain it to my wife was difficult, but I made it clear that him being the guy who made the biggest shots at KU in a decade+ was somewhat improbable. And awesome as it gets.”

I will repeat: DAVE should have been the FF MOP, which would have guaranteed his place in the Rafters.

He was head and shoulders above everyone else over those two games. Leading KU scorer both games (40 points total, 25 v Nova, 15 (tied Jalen) v the tarred ones), and GIGANTIC +/- numbers for both games, with KU outscoring the opponent by 41 points when he was on the floor (+16 in the NCG) and being outscored by the opponent by -22 (-13 NCG) when DAVE was on the bench.

I would hate for the NCAA and USBWA administrative screwups to keep DAVE from the recognition he earned.

Again, get it done, Coach, get it done.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 10 months ago #29341 by HawkErrant
Today, June 1 2022 is the deadline to withdraw from the NBA draft in order to keep one’s eligibility.

KU either will or won’t have one or both of
Jalen Wilson
Kevin McCullar

Nothing to do but go about our business and look for the news.

Best of luck to them both, whatever their decisions!

• HawkErrant
More
1 year 10 months ago #29342 by HawkErrant

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk