Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

McCullar a “conditional” commit to KU

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 11 months ago #29304 by HawkErrant
If he decides to withdraw from the NBA draft he’ll be playing for KU. At this point I’d put $$$ on his being on campus this summer.

Invited to the G League combine, he had a minor injury that sidelined him, further pushing him toward “returning” to school.

Welcome to The Hill, Kevin! See you in a couple of weeks if things go as we hope they will! It’s a good thing for you and KU!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
1 year 11 months ago #29308 by newtonhawk
It is interesting to me to see how things may be developing moving forward. With the transfer rule, is it possible that KU will become a premier destination for the "seasoned one-and-done" players rather than those out of high school?

More
1 year 11 months ago #29310 by USAF Jayhawk
I wonder if he knows something in regards to Wilson or Braun not coming back, because if they both return there isn't a spot for McCullar...
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 11 months ago #29312 by HawkErrant

USAF Jayhawk wrote: I wonder if he knows something in regards to Wilson or Braun not coming back, because if they both return there isn't a spot for McCullar...

I think so, given that he had been in Chicago with them (I’m assuming he has now left as he did not get the golden ticket to the NBA combine) and Self has also been there to support DAVE and Jalen for the G League C and now Jalen and Christian at the NBA C. Given that all I’ve read is that McCullar has been Self’s “must have” guy this time around, I’d think if Self is confident that at least one of Christian or Jalen aren’t returning, Self has told McCullar there is at least one ride available for him. Really the only thing that makes sense given McCullar’s going public.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #29313 by Illhawk
I think it's way over a 50 percent likelihood that Christian stays in the draft. He could go late in the first round or reach an understanding for a second round deal that's got some guaranteed money.
If he returns and improves his consistency from the three point like he could move up a bit, but I am not sure the upside is sufficient to pass on a year of NBA salary.

Jalen might get a foot in the door second round slot; he is the one with major upside. With the right season he moves up to borderline lottery.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Illhawk. Reason: typo

More
1 year 11 months ago #29314 by CorpusJayhawk
In this brave new world of NIL what was conventional wisdom is not necessarily so any longer. Staying an extra year in college to up your draft stock is all of the sudden a horse of a different color. Braun looks by all accounts to be drafted in the 20’s or early 30’s. That would set his income for the net 3 years at least given the set salaries based on draft position. Moving up in the draft can be pretty lucrative in the long haul. Plus, when you consider NIL, staying in college has not nearly the opportunity cost it had. I still lean to thinking Christian will leave, but it is not necessarily as black and whit as it used to be.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #29315 by porthawk
Corpus wrote:

but it is not necessarily as black and whit as it used to be.

although a shade of Braun in this case. (See what I did there :))
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by porthawk.

More
1 year 11 months ago #29317 by USAF Jayhawk
Badump ching...try the veal and don't forget to tip your waiter :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk

More
1 year 11 months ago #29318 by CorpusJayhawk
FWIW, ESPN has Braun's post combine draft rating at 38. Of course for starter's a rating like this is a rough giude at best. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all it takes is for one team to think more highly of Christian for him to slide into the first round. I still lean about 54-46 that Beraun stays in the draft but I do think there is a great chance he could return. I actually think Jalen is a longer shot to return simply because I think Jalen is more motivated to start earning a professional paycheck and always has. Both staying in the draft would not overly surprise me, one or the other returning to school would not surprise me but both returning would surprise me.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
1 year 11 months ago #29325 by Illhawk
I think now that we have Christian's decision it is slightly more likely Jalen returns. If nothing else he has had a front row seat in a master class in how to use the season after testing the waters.