Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Re: our Top 5 personnel losses, who will be the hardest to replace?

Poll: Of these Top 5 personnel losses, who will be hardest to replace?

Ochai
No votes 0%
Remy
3 50%
Christian
No votes 0%
Jalen
No votes 0%
DAVE
3 50%
Total number of voters: 6
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #29299 by HawkErrant
I would not have thought so back in early February, but today my answer is DAVE, because (1) he just kept getting better and better (as he amazingly seemed to manage to get healthier) as the season progressed, capstoning with his NCAA play, and (2) HCBS arguably has clearer options for filling the other losses that appear to be better fits for the roles they will be asked to fill. While HCBS has lots of options to replace DAVE, he has no proven Big Man defender in the middle.

Ochai - Gradey Dick (many think an OAD)

Remy - shooting and "je ne sais quoi" made up for among several players, including Bobby Pettiford (KU's "next great guard" per HCBS) and MJ Rice (who views himself an OAD) at F

Christian - Kevin McCullar looks to be his backfill. Hurt in the G League combine, he has said if he withdraws it will be KANSAS or Gonzaga, and everything I have been reading says "KANSAS" (reports are Self wants him "badly").

Jalen - MJ Rice (who believes himself to be an OAD talent) and/or KJ Adams (expect great strides next season!)

DAVE - many bodies will different skill sets, but NONE of them have shown they can be a Defensive Big Man in the Middle, which DAVE was in March and April. Love Zach Clemence (weight room, young fellow), looking forward to Ernest Udeh, Jr (can he play the needed D?) and sharp shooting Cam Martin can be expected to post low and to pop out to hit big from away or dump down to a teammate as the D moves out with him. None of them at present look to be able to provide that anchor in the middle that DAVE became in late February and throughout March into April.

What do you think? Here is the roster as is, without Braun or Wilson. Add in 6-6/210 defensive wizard G McCullar, considered by the TTech radio guys to be the offensive "catalyst" for TTech last season.
#  NAME			POS  HT / WT  CLASS HOMETOWN	        HS/PRIOR COLLEGE
0  Bobby Pettiford	G    6-1/190  So    Durham NC	        South Granville
1  Joseph Yesufu	G    6-0/180  Jr    Bolingbrook IL      Bolingbrook/Drake
3  Dajuan Harris Jr.	G    6-1/170  Jr*   Columbia MO         Rock Bridge
5  Kyle Cuffe Jr.	G    6-2/180  Fr*   Harlem NJ           Blair Academy
13 Charlie McCarthy$a	G    6-2/195  So    Rancho Mirage CA    Shadow Hills
15 Dillon Wilhite$b	F/C  6-9/240  Fr*   San Diego CA        Cathedral Catholic
20 Michael Jankovich$c	G    6-5/190  Sr    Dallas TX	        Northfield, Mt Hermon MA
21 Zach Clemence	F    6-10/225 So    San Antonio TX      Sunrise Christian, Bel Aire
24 KJ Adams Jr.		F    6-7/225  So    Austin TX	        Westlake
31 Cam Martin#		C/F  6-9/230  SSr*  Yukon OK	        Yukon/MO Southern St
nn Wilder Evans$d	G    6-3/190  Fr    Birmingham AL       Oak Mountain
nn Gradey Dick		F    6-7/195  Fr    Bel Aire KS         Sunrise Christian, Bel Aire
nn MJ Rice		F    6-5/200  Fr    Durham NC		Prolific Prep, Napa CA
nn Ernest Udeh Jr.	C    6-10/232 Fr    Orlando FL          Dr Phillips
nn Zuby Ejiofor		C    6-8/220  Fr    Garland TX          Garland
nn 13th Scholarship Player??
nn 18th Player unknown Walk-on??
ROSTER LEGEND & NOTES

$ Walk on (paying to play... ;) )
* Past Red Shirt
^ Redshirting this season
# Graduate transfer
SSr Super Senior
a. Son of KU grads Kent & Missy McCarthy (see McCarthy Hall); great-grandson of KU MBB great Howard Engelman
b. Grandson of Joanie Stephens, Admin Assistant to HC Self.
c. Son of former KU Assistant Coach Tim Jankovich
d. Son of KU alums Sandy & Mike Evers (pronounced EE-vers), who both ran track at KU. Brother Stone is a pitcher on the KU baseball team.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.