Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Transfer portal - freshman PG Tyrese Hunter (ISU) to visit

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #29288 by HawkErrant

Full tweet text:
Former St Catherine’s and Iowa State star Tyrese Hunter is visiting Texas this weekend and Kansas next week. Purdue, Gonzaga and Tennessee also involved.

Means nothing if both Braun and JWil return to KU for next season as KU will have no openings. And the other programs listed have openings now.

JWil is more likely to return than Braun if you go by the mock drafts that have Braun going late Round 1. But those mocks aren’t done by NBA talent evaluators, and those are the people CB and Wilson are talking with.

The G League combine ends TUESDAY MAY 17, the NBA combine starts WEDNESDAY MAY18 and runs until next Sunday May 22. If Jalen’s G League combine performance does not earn him an invite to attend the NBA combine, the odds are he’ll be announcing his return to KU for his redshirt junior season later this week, as many people believe he will.

You will recall Braun got an invite to the NBA combine, so it will be at least a week from Monday at the earliest before we can expect to hear anything for sure about him.

Should Braun not return for his senior season, KU will be looking to fill one scholarship.

Contenders for Braun’s spot if he leaves are still listed as Hunter, F Kevin McCullar (Texas Tech, still in the draft and the portal, can still return to Tech if he so decides) and Missouri State SG Isiaih Mosley (friends with CB and Dajuan Harris).

Despite now saying he wants to decide before June 1 instead of after, I am not quite ready yet to discount Mosley in this scheming.

Florida looks to be out of the picture for Mosley since they added Kyle Lofton, and his visit to Texas Tech has been cancelled. Mississippi St looks to be the leader for Mosley, but as of yesterday Rivals National Recruiting analyst Travis Graf writes KU is still in the picture, but running out of time.

Personally, assuming Wilson returns and Braun leaves (I’ve seen people writing Braun is truly undecided so far, but let’s assume he gets an offer he can’t refuse and stays in the draft), of the above three guys I’d rather have Mosley. Really more of a Remy replacement than a CB replacement, but we have 5* F Gradey Dick projected as Braun’s replacement if Braun goes. Freshman defensive wizard Hunter would be the better long term choice, but getting an experienced and proven scorer (one who can get his shot on his own like Remy) for next year would be huge, and Self has on multiple occasions stated that Bobby Pettiford will be the next great KU guard, so Hunter slips to #2 on my list.

Counting the days to June 1 and knowing who’s back and who isn’t.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Edited the dates for the Combines and the spelling of Mosley
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, porthawk, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.