Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Kentucky game....

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #2220 by NotOstertag
Not looking past ISU tonight, but more just trying to avoid thinking about it...

So the Squid and KenYucky come to Allen on Saturday. I've got some mixed feelings about this game and its placement in the schedule. Love to hear others' opinions.

I realize that this is a made-for-TV basketball-palooza invented to bring ESPN some good ratings, and that it's been scheduled this year to fill the gap between the NFL championship games and the Super Bowl. I also get that it's a great payday for the schools involved, and that it's also great exposure that showcases these schools and could (potentially) benefit recruiting.

Nevertheless, with all that in mind, I'm not a fan of the mid-conference season scheduling. Here's why:

1.) The games don't matter. Ok, UK is down a little bit this year, and KU is doing better in the rankings. Nevertheless, even if this was to be a battle between two top 10 (top 5?) teams, it doesn't seem to matter as much as it would have if it were in November or December when teams are jockeying for national rankings heading into their conference schedules. The preseason is as much about schedule strategy as it is about racking up some key wins that will impress the committee in March. In the conference season, you have to play the teams in your conference, so the rankings are much less dynamic (less movement). Rankings matter less than your conference race, so this seems like a game that has very little relevance on anything...more of an exhibition than a real game.

2.) Risky: this time of year, players are dinged up and often playing with nagging injuries. Take Frank: at some point, one of his "drive into the paint, get contact, score, but get slammed to the ground" is going to end badly. Why have him risk his health on a game like this? Do you tell guys to take it easy? I doubt it.

3.) Tough to get "up" for the game. Ok, I get it, it's Kentucky and it would be sweet to beat them handily. At the same time, it makes me wonder how focused either team will be on the game. Will we get Kentucky's best punch? Will they get ours? Will both teams be somewhat distracted by their conference races? Also, playing Kentucky will put more of a strain on KU than, for example, Baylor hosting Georgia.

Anyway, wondering what everyone else thinks about this game on the schedule. Would have much preferred to play them before conference play kicked off.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2222 by Senex68
The game is about money and recruiting. It's that simple. We are competing with Kentucky on virtually every recruit, and they win most of the time. Part of the reason is perception and when we kick their behinds on Saturday, it will alter that perception, perhaps enough to get us a recruit that we absolutely need this year and next. The money is always a factor, but KU can never turn down an opportunity to play UK, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Arizona, etc., especially at home. I don't care if we play them on the last Sat. before the NCAAs, it will be a boost to us. UK can't win, in my opinion, even if they win. I'm looking forward to it, as I'm sure our players are. It's not every day you get a chance to watch the cephalopod sweat and scream and weep. And right on OUR floor, too.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Senex68.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtnMan

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2223 by konza63
I have zero problem with it...as long as we beat them into submission!

It's part of the Big 12-SEC Challenge, so it's not like Self and the Squid set out to schedule it for this very day. It is what it is--part of a broader slate of games, just like we see with the ACC-Big 10 Challenge. And KU got top billing, taking on the SEC's unabashed top team.

It's the two all-time winningest programs going head to head. That unto itself makes it beyond compelling. Then factor in that KU recruits (or tries to recruit) head to head against UK, and the stakes become higher.

As for this comment:

3.) Tough to get "up" for the game. Ok, I get it, it's Kentucky and it would be sweet to beat them handily. At the same time, it makes me wonder how focused either team will be on the game. Will we get Kentucky's best punch? Will they get ours? Will both teams be somewhat distracted by their conference races? Also, playing Kentucky will put more of a strain on KU than, for example, Baylor hosting Georgia.

I come away with a diametrically opposite takeaway. ConTucky is having a choppy year, and the Squid hates even having to mess with the conference play schedule, which he views as a putrid appetizer before the main course serving (the tourney). His team needs a serious positive boost, to make them believe that they can tap their upside and do some damage come March/April. As a result, this is the game he's no doubt circled on the calendar. National stage, ESPN Gameday in attendance, all the recruits and the blueblood fan bases watching, all of the top media commentators watching, etc. etc. He lives for moments like that, and will pull out every stop to try and notch a win on our home court.

As for KU and Self, really? Self is hyper-competitive, recruits directly against the Squid, and has been absolutely obliterated by ConTucky in recent history. (In fact, much of our roster has been obliterated by ConTucky in recent history) He also came up one game short of another title owing to the Squidettes. ConTucky is at the top of the blueblood heap, and he'll take this game every time. As will I. Self will also pour everything into the game, and want to win at all costs. And our players? Jeez Louise, if they can't get up for this game, and pour every ounce of their blood, sweat and tears into a victory, then I don't know what to say...

This is the marquee game on the schedule. Period. The marketplace is demonstrating that with the ticket prices.

It is essential that we win the game, for all of the above reasons and the fact that it is ON OUR FLOOR. In Allen Fieldhouse.

I don't just want us to win. I want KU to pummel them into submission!

Will we? That's an entirely separate question.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #2233 by NotOstertag
Just not a fan of the timing. It is what it is.

Prior to the WVU game, I would have predicted a very satisfying rout, and would have started a pool on the degree to which the Squid would lose his cool. Of late, I'm not confident that we will win (we should, but OSU was a severe blow from which I haven't fully recovered, nor has the team won back my confidence with their play since).

Not to trot out "worst case scenarios" but try this one on: loss tonight at ISU, loss to UK in Allen, and then we're looking at a road trip to TCU, a team which played us entirely too closely when they came to Lawrence. LIke it or not, TCU came out of Allen with a boost of confidence that they can play with us.

Anyway, it's my hope that we finally play a full game tonight, win in Ames and head in to Saturday with our swagger back.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #2236 by konza63
Oh, I totally concur on the timing thing. But then, two weeks ago, coming off the OU win, we were all salivating at the timing. :woohoo:

A lot sure changed in the span of a couple weeks.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #2244 by Wheatstate Gal
I would also prefer NOT having to play in Hilton this time of year! :P

I get your point....but GOSH do we show well on TV when the old barn is rockin' or what!?

More
8 years 2 months ago #2249 by LasJayhawk
I want to hang 150 on them.

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith

More
8 years 2 months ago #2250 by jayhawk969
If we are going to hang 150 we might as well set a new record :evil:

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #2251 by konza63
This.

I want to see a meticulous beatdown of epic--dare I say biblical--proportions.

I want it to be so comedically out of hand that an embarrassed Worldwide Wes is caught trying to slink out of the stands (Bill Murray Caddyshack style) with over 18 minutes to go in the second half.

I want the curb stomping to be so thorough that Ashley Judd cries on Dick Vitale's shoulder (after which he tries to comfort her with a gnarly smooch).

I want the Squid to feel so angry and humiliated that he not only flips off the Allen Fieldhouse student section, but does so with both hands after jumping up on the scorer's table...and has to be restrained by cops from going after the KU band tuba player after he moons Calimari on his way toward the tunnel.

Finally, I want the lasting memory of the occasion to be seared into the Squid's brain by seeing him trip in the tunnel and accidentally face plant his nose directly in the large photo mural with Chalmers and the boys hoisting the NC trophy from the Memphis win.

Other than that, I don't ask for much.

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling

More
8 years 2 months ago #2252 by LasJayhawk
OK, how about 150-37, with Manning and Self combining for 32 of our 150.

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtnMan

More
8 years 2 months ago #2260 by WAJayhawk
Three things I want Saturday:

Very LOUD...Huge MARGIN...and....a Kansas WIN

My first trip back to the ol' barn in many years at a time when we beat Mich St,

RCJHKUUUuuu...!!! B)